Sign in to follow this  
qube

$50k F10 M5

Gorgeous car, but ... Oh the maintenance bills...

5 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Gorgeous car, but ... Oh the maintenance bills...

And service costs at that age and mileage

good on the seller then, bought it for a steal and will probably end up selling it for a small profit unless hes spent money on it in the year.

Anyone think they're fugly?

I think the gangster wheels look ridiculous and the M Performance skirts on white one make it look totally poverty spec. The shoulder "wings" on the front seats also look contrived. Front half of the back one looks like an old, cheap Holden from the side.

And why does the black one have two seperate "Sport Plus" modes?

Edited by M3AN

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Anyone think they're fugly?

I think the gangster wheels look ridiculous and the M Performance skirts on white one make it look totally poverty spec. The shoulder "wings" on the front seats also look contrived. Front half of the back one looks like an old, cheap Holden from the side.

And why does the black one have two seperate "Sport Plus" modes?

The engine and suspension are in sport plus mode, the steering is in comfort mode. Does your M3 not have that?? ;)

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, aja540i said:

The engine and suspension are in sport plus mode, the steering is in comfort mode. Does your M3 not have that?? ;)

Ahh, I get it now. I thought (read: assumed) that if you selected (for example) 'Sport Plus' then everything would go into that mode. Now I see there a multiple permutations; engine+suspension+steering. Hopefully you don't need to adjust all three separately if you want to change overall mode.

And no, my M3 only has one mode - 'get in and drive'. It has 3 driver assist functions: power steering, anti-lock brakes and (when it's working) climate control. Just how I like it. It's in permanent "track mode". ;)

Edit: and actually the non-M Performance skirts (on the black one) look much better than the (no-doubt expensive) M Performance ones on the white one.

Edited by M3AN

M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel can be programmed with your favourite combination of modes and settings. It's hours of fun deciding what's your preferred set up, takes a lot of back-to-back testing!!

• Like 1

Keep it stock and get a very good mechanical insurance policy, keep a stash in the bank for maintenance and you’d get a good run out of it imo.

But it’s a modern M car and I suspect the temptation to upgrade will be too great. And so a cycle of depreciation and buyers remorse continues on in the back of the owners mind....

• Like 2

The thing with the F10 M5 is, I think its a bit too tame. Its not special with a crazy V10 despite the E60 M5's having its own issues/problems, its also kind of rewarding for the price paid, you get a lot. Whereas the F10 M5 is going to keep depreciating and will probably eventually be down to 30k soon. 

I think its a much more refined car than the E60 by a long mile but then its almost boring unless you start modifying it.

As Martin said, keep it stock, drive it and how it is and sell it before the price bottoms out. Or just keep it for ages because its probably a relatively reliable car. Dont think there is a lot to go wrong in the F10 5 series..

I want to like them.....but they don't quite tickle the senses like old school.....fast but remote.   Any car that pumps synthetic engine noises through the stereo is also a challenge to my ideals!.

When I gave one a serve at Hampton Downs it left me cold....and disappointed.

If I had $50k spare I would buy a daily duties e60 LCI 530i motorsport for 15k and then use the remaining $35k on something interesting......e30 with a heart transplant......

• Like 3

23 hours ago, qube said:

good on the seller then, bought it for a steal and will probably end up selling it for a small profit unless hes spent money on it in the year.

It was a $1 reserve auction as well.

Like i said, good on the seller for taking a punt on a dollar res auction and good on him if he makes a buck. 

I think its kind of funny how if you buy a house for 750k and flip it for a mil youre a legend and no one bats an eyelid but if you buy a car and try to sell it for a bit more because you found a deal everyone loses their minds. 

• Like 3

^ well, in a normal world one of those assets depreciates and the other appreciates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

Like i said, good on the seller for taking a punt on a dollar res auction and good on him if he makes a buck. 

I think its kind of funny how if you buy a house for 750k and flip it for a mil youre a legend and no one bats an eyelid but if you buy a car and try to sell it for a bit more because you found a deal everyone loses their minds. 

Exactly, given half a chance I'm sure anyone would jump at the chance to make a dollar or 2

Depends on the car and situation imo. Something like that, where anyone could've bid, and its not really that special, go for gold on making a profit. But it sucks when someone looking to make a buck (ie: a car dealer) on an uncommon car snipes out legit people that would own and enjoy the car, just to flick it on for more and put it out of the grasp of the people that actually want it. Even worse when they decide they can make more  money selling it out of the country instead, too.

I like the look of the F10 M5, especially in white. There is one i see locally that gets regularly fanged, and have seen it drag people off at the lights before, and it looks and sounds great. I'd skip the shitbox (flamesuit on; its ugly, sounds bad and unreliable) that was the E60 and save/wait for the F10 to depreciate into grasp.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KwS said:

Depends on the car and situation imo. Something like that, where anyone could've bid, and its not really that special, go for gold on making a profit. But it sucks when someone looking to make a buck (ie: a car dealer) on an uncommon car snipes out legit people that would own and enjoy the car, just to flick it on for more and put it out of the grasp of the people that actually want it. Even worse when they decide they can make more  money selling it out of the country instead, too.

That how car dealers work, they buy cheap cars and sell them for more. Doesn't matter if it is dime a dozen Toyota or a special edition M3 they are in it to make money and that is how they do it. I'm sure that when they do sell it on then the person buying it is still going to enjoy it, whether they are in NZ or not. The difference is you'd want the M3, and not the Toyota