Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

E28 Dilemma

7 minutes ago, eliongater said:

1. The value of the finished product is only relevant if I’m selling it ;)

2. I’m not aware of any good panel beaters that’d be willing to do that, happy to be enlightened though. 

3. On top of that I do need to have a useable car and save for somewhere to put said car(s). 

1. Absolutely. :thumbs-up:

2. Smash Palace in Palmy are supposed to be good?

3. The 525e ! ;) 

@BM WORLD would the body looms be the same between the 525e (85 early steering wheel spline, no abs, manual everything, no obc) and the M535i (86 late spline from memory, abs, electric windows and sunroof, obc, check control, possibly alarm, might be aftermarket).

@gjm I’ll give them a call. Not so keen on the 525e as a daily (read when I need a car for car things not just driving cause I want to) as it’s a lot of work to make it less temperamental around town, no AC, manual windows and no cup holder ?

In case you still weren’t convinced about how bad it is. I present a previous 120 grade repair job...

E1CF6819-9646-4A9E-BC59-64BA86304112.thumb.jpeg.0cca14f250a936cf086229d4a5eab50f.jpeg

7129FF82-C6EF-4195-9A8C-AD80330DBF86.thumb.jpeg.e7dbf5a905be0f9119081a764c403a17.jpeg

71112E76-D839-4492-892C-32FDC63A1C25.thumb.jpeg.04b82fc6c02220055d92339e88d8a1f8.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, eliongater said:

@qazwsx it still has the original bilsteins, but not the springs. Not that that matters too much, they’ll probably be due a rebuild.

The only real difference (apart from the name) between an M535i and a 535i is the body is different to accept the body kit (easy to replicate), the body kit, probably the large case LSD and the //M seats. The rest is just normal 535i but with more options (such as sports suspension, moonroof, headlight washers)

Ah didn't know the body had to be modified for the kit. Personally I think the M5 spoiler looks a lot smarter anyway:

James_BMW_0037-e1466621999838-940x548.jp

6 hours ago, eliongater said:

The value of the finished product is only relevant if I’m selling it ;)

Buying the red one is all well and good,  but it doesn’t deal with my current E28(s).

if it's firmly in "hobby" and not "speculative", surely a lengthy rebuild of the white one is not an issue?

good point about the red vs white.  you'd need to find storage for the white one immediately and dismantle it, if you're buying the red one.  or double storage if you're going to reshell the white one into your bronzit beauty.

It's a tough position.

16 hours ago, allan said:

Try these guys thesurgery@thesurgery.co.nz  +64 (0)4 232 7543

Appears they have a 73 3.0CSL being restored.

They did my E28 & Phil’s E24, bloody expensive, but you will get a great car, with a ten year guarantee 

they also did the boot on the 535 after a diamante wrote itself off putting a ding in it on sh2.The nice insurance man paid for the stone chips :)

I think 10k would be worth it if you are gonna hold on to the car for a very very long time.  Look at it this way, you invest 10k in it now, hold on to it for 10 years, that's 1k every year you have put in the car.  Surely, you could get 20k for it in 10 years time. 

• Like 1

I’ve made the decision that since there’s more rust than structurally sound metal and the fact it’s not straight it’s time for it to go. Unless anyone wants some rust with a free shell?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, eliongater said:

I’ve made the decision that since there’s more rust than structurally sound metal and the fact it’s not straight it’s time for it to go. Unless anyone wants some rust with a free shell?

It's a sad, but eminently practical decision.

• Like 2

Do you have spare parts for it that you may be interested in selling?

Oh man a white M535i with M stripes and gold BBS mesh wheels.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Contrails said:

Yes, that would be amazing, but not cost effective (even though I’ve got some BBS’). Don’t make me reconsider as it’s on the trailer to be scrapped ?

42 minutes ago, Contrails said:

6 minutes ago, eliongater said:

Yes, that would be amazing, but not cost effective (even though I’ve got some BBS’). Don’t make me reconsider as it’s on the trailer to be scrapped ?

?

Björn's E28 M535i

• Haha 2

Oh man that looks so good. And especially if the M stripes were blue and red.  

http://ultimateklasse.com/blog/2014/9/4/bjrns-e28-m535i great video at the end. 

Ooh sunny day in Auckland today and tomorrow. Gonna take the e28 to work.

Edited by Contrails

@Allanw if it's anything like project Binky I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Would people be interested in a project thread? 

It's NOT much like project Binky at all... but I still enjoy it.

Everyone loves a build thread B)