Sign in to follow this  
BrokeMyWallet

135i N55 charge pipe problem

Hi Guys,

My 135i (N55) charge pipe exploded a little while ago. BMW wants $600 for the plastic pipe, so I started looking for aftermarket options. Aftermarket options were just as ridiculously priced - $400-500 NZ.

So I jumped on trademe and bought a no-name brand one which was supposed to come with "everything you need to upgrade your factory charge pipe" which in hindsight,  may have been a mistake. At the time I bought this pipe, I couldn't find my OEM "clip" (The metal C clip that goes on the pipe that holds it to the throttle body - I actually did ask the seller if he could source one but he couldn't so I ended up ordering one from eBay for ~$40. In the end I ended up finding my OEM clip, which I was happy about.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get this clip to seat correctly. Is this user error or is this not the right kind of clip? I know this is a non-premium part so I am not expecting excellent fit but this thing isn't even close to fitting. I have tried both the clip I got from ebay AND my OEM BMW clip - neither fit. See images below.

What is the deal with this thing? Do I need to get a bigger clip from somewhere? 

uQgXKA.jpg

I'd have thought you'd fit it over the OUTside.

About 90 degrees around from where you have it. The narrow part of the clip protrudes INto the slots and holds on to the inner part (not in your picture)

• Like 1

The clip goes on the outside

• Thanks 1

They don't usually come with the clip, you're lucky if you even get the o-ring. 

Auckland City BMW quoted me about $350 a few years back when mine blew up. Guess that wasn't enough profit margin for them.
Anyway with this part it's definitely better to go aftermarket. BMW truly f**ked up on the charge pipes for these cars. 

I believe I was quoted $500 + GST. It comes with the clip and the o-ring (this is a N55 135I). Insane I thought for something that will likely go bust again.

You couldn't buy the clip separately. I ordered a replacement clip from an aftermarket "FTC". It cost about $35 landed. I ended up not needing it since I found mine caught in a wiring harness that runs under the charge pipe. I thought I had for sure lost it since it blew off on a back road. Everything was fine one second, the next the engine lets out a reeeeally loud groan ?I pulled over, took a look saw this (see pic below). All fixed now with a metal charge pipe.

Screen_Shot_2018-08-30_at_10_16.45_PM.png