Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

DON'T BE THIS GUY !!!!!!!

Wow, that is asking for trouble.

2 hours ago, zero said:

Wow, that is asking for trouble.

And he got the ultimate...

• Like 1

He needs an award for actually filling the two together and transporting it! I wonder what the mixture really was.

But yeah, Darwin Award.

Yep, Darwin award.  For all this HSE stuff we talk about these days... he clearly hadn't been trained about the dangers of acetylene, or even welding.

Quote: "Miller then tried unbolting the regulator on the tank and tried to attach the gas torch head straight onto the bottle."

It is just incredibly lucky that this guy didn't take anybody else out with him when he went bang, in a residential area, during the day.

The age old problem of how do you stop dumb people doing dumb things, without making it more difficult for all the other people to do it properly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Olaf said:

... he clearly hadn't been trained about the dangers of acetylene, or even welding.

Other news stories report he "was a welder by trade".

There is NO excuse for someone who is even a little familar with gas welding and a "welder by trade", even if purely electric, should have some familiarity with how to avoid explosions of many kinds. A complete numpty who never set fire to anything as a kid, may have some excuse.... but a welder?!?!?!

Surely, the first thought would be "Hey, B.O.C. -- they're a big company who like to sell welding stuff - Why haven't they done this already?"

Besides that, how was ever going to get a decent flame with it - I've never used an oxy-acetylene set that didn't require at least a small amount of fine adjustment to get the the required flame type, flame temperature and flame size....

I'm NOT a good welder, but I pretend sometimes. Besides my gasless MIG, I have a mate who can weld (Thanks aja540i! :lol:) and I have an LPG/Oxygen torch for light brazing. I made sure to get an LPG safe regulator, I have the correct LPG hose, with a flame arrestor thingee, and the oxygen comes from an oxygen concentrator. It didn't cost that much to set up properly.

I'm still very careful of the setup and make sure I always have my safety jandals shined with non-exploding boot polish.

It's not actually THAT hard to be safe with this stuff...

But how did he get the oxygen into the tank without blowing himself up?

The acetylene (assuming it was actually that) can explosively decompose at pressures way less than required to fill an LPG tank (and without a regulator?!?).

How did he even get it in his car? Such an amazing story of both achievement and fail.

I assume he filled the lpg tank with a mixture of oxy / acetylene from a gas welding / cutting torch, not sure how but he seems to have been that perfect blend of inventive and ignorant.

• Like 2