Jump to content
M3AN

Google Home

Recommended Posts

On 9/27/2018 at 4:40 AM, Driftit said:

But I will split it from your thread when I get a chance Dave.

Naa, I don't mind the thread has served my initial purpose already, I don't care where it goes from here.

I've been giving Fox News a fair shot over the last 24h (Kavanaugh) and comparing it to CNN. It doesn't surprise me that CNN and MSNBC both dumped that twat Tucker Carlson.

I wonder if Judge Kavanaugh and Senator Graham would have acted as they did had they known an FBI investigation would actually begin? How does a law student and future judge not know the legal drinking age in their state? A little white lie under oath perhaps? And a 'Devil's Triangle' has never been a drinking game... footballers call it a 'spit roast'.

Can't wait for the midterms but the next week will be fascinating also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't bother.  FOX, CNN, MSNBC are mostly just Bias propaganda in some form or another.

You really have to dig to find any facts or truth.  It gets quite exhausting.

I'm really only interested in the internet security side of things.  I'm wondering if they are ready for sh*t China and Russia are going to fling trying to sway things in their favor.  And now that the rest of the world knows it can be done who else is going to get involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it all thoroughly entertaining but I can afford that because I'm at arm's length, you're in the middle of it.

I take all of the cable and US "news" networks with a gain of salt but they're far from all in the same category, Fox is an incredible outlier. I see they draw a firm distinction between "opinion" and "fact" and it's alarming that 95% of their content is [corrosive and inflammatory] "opinion" and not "news" (read: facts) at all. I suspect most engaged viewers assume it's "news". But I'm loving the entertainment value when they get hold of a polarising subject such as this.

The internet security thing is also interesting given this recent analysis on online voting: https://www.nap.edu/read/25120/chapter/1 which concludes e-voting can't be secured using technology we possess today. Makes you wonder about your bank account!

Google home isn't helping me with any of this lol. But I can turn my lights on and off by voice! :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Fox and CNN to be about as biased as each other.

Its hard finding non biased news, but Reuters is pretty good.

This website below is a good tool for getting an indicator on how reliable a news source is;

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, my opinion is that Fox is rubbish and CNN is news with some left leaning (and possibly inaccurate) opinions. Very different kettles of fish to me and largely confirmed by mediabiasfactcheck.com. To conflate the two is a grave mistake (that many American conservatives seem to make).

On Fox: Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to word and story selection that favors the right and Mixed factually based on poor sourcing and spreading conspiracy theories that later must be retracted.

On CNN: Overall, we rate CNN left biased based on story selection that often favors the left. We rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to misinformation and failed fact checks from guests and pundits. However, CNN’s straight news reporting would earn a High rating for factual reporting.

Both exhibit bias, only one reports with facts. These two are not the same. CNN may need more reliable guests but Fox needs to understand what a "fact" actually is. It's like comparing Big Brother to a 6pm news bulletin.

Thanks for that site, I'd not seen it before and will spend more time there. And as I say, I'm enjoying the entertainment value of both sides at the moment.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t watch CNN or Fox but I was over in the US recently and put CNN on one evening in my hotel. 

How that can be called news is beyond me. It’s show after show of editorial/commentary talk show. 

BBC or nothing for me. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not using a US network for proper news. I'm just comparing Fox and CNN, as an ultimately unaffected observer, for (US centric) coverage of this issue specifically. When CNN play one of their silly editorials I can flick over to Fox until they play one of their silly editorials, then I can flick over and watch some Discovery Turbo.

They're all close on the remote. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Oh, my opinion is that Fox is rubbish and CNN is news with some left leaning (and possibly inaccurate) opinions. Very different kettles of fish to me and largely confirmed by mediabiasfactcheck.com. To conflate the two is a grave mistake (that many American conservatives seem to make).

On Fox: Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to word and story selection that favors the right and Mixed factually based on poor sourcing and spreading conspiracy theories that later must be retracted.

On CNN: Overall, we rate CNN left biased based on story selection that often favors the left. We rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to misinformation and failed fact checks from guests and pundits. However, CNN’s straight news reporting would earn a High rating for factual reporting.

Both exhibit bias, only one reports with facts. These two are not the same. CNN may need more reliable guests but Fox needs to understand what a "fact" actually is. It's like comparing Big Brother to a 6pm news bulletin.

Thanks for that site, I'd not seen it before and will spend more time there. And as I say, I'm enjoying the entertainment value of both sides at the moment.

 

 

What I've found is that CNN has gone harder left since the election - I find Fox and CNN to be reasonably close when it comes to unreliability, and would never use either as a source.

What I've noticed is that the further left CNN goes the more they struggle in the ratings. They have already been overtaken by MSNBC, and are being beaten by even the food network and the cartoon network in some areas now.

I'll stick to Reuters thanks. Watching CNN or Fox is a waste of time if you want the truth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember I'm not doing this for the "truth".

I don't get MSNBC or Reuters directly on the TV but I do agree that Reuters is a great source.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Remember I'm not doing this for the "truth".

I don't get MSNBC or Reuters directly on the TV but I do agree that Reuters is a great source.

 

FWIW I find that MSNBC is better than CNN but not by a huge margin.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

their all as bad as each other.

Like seagulls chasing fishheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richard said:

their all as bad as each other.

Like seagulls chasing fishheads.

So where do you get your news from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard said:

They are even more biased than CNN.

No wonder you get caught up in conspiracy theories.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drudge Report lol, I'm sure (hope) he's taking the piss.

I really am finding this entertaining, I'm afraid it might be over at the end of the week. My most recent assessment...

Fox: a whole lot of angry white people shouting, mostly at eachother! Most male presenters look average (really average, flawed almost), most female presenters look like the ex. head of a cheerleader squad or sorority (white, blond, pretty, big teeth, big boobs, tight dresses). Like wut?! Fox actually call the Dems "The Resistance" seriously? lol.

CNN: a whole lot of socially ambiguous people of superficially mixed race agreeing with each other that nobody is bad except the bad guys and that everybody could/should try harder/do better. Everybody seems immaculately presented (like artificially good) and entirely agreeable. Yuck. Being fake and indecisive is not endearing.

So far I give Judge Kav about a 6/10 chance, Dr. Ford about 4/10 and the FBI are going to get 0/10 whatever happens - Trump has hung them out to dry on this one and I have to be honest, that's a seriously smart move on his part (for his own selfish interests).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, richard said:

Not a good pic Rich.  Mention Matt Drudge in DC and you will get screwed up faces and head shakes from both the R's and D's.

Sorry haven't watched your Vids yet.  Will get to it though.

Quote

 

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED

Notes: The Drudge Report is a politically conservative American news aggregation website run by Matt Drudge. The site consists mainly of links to stories from the United States and international mainstream media about politics, entertainment, and current events; it also has links to many columnists. Occasionally, Drudge authors new stories himself, based on tips.  The Drudge Report focuses on sensationalized stories with a right wing bias. They have a poor record with fact checkers. (7/19/2016) Updated (4/5/2017)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so I'm off to Hamptons on Saturday to burn 100ltrs of fossil fuel and turn it into CO2. You can call me a conspiracy theorist  if you like but you can't call me a hypocrite .

IMG_5893.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crikey! A post about a car at last, and a bimmer no less. Who'd' re thought it..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 11:45 PM, M3AN said:

So far I give Judge Kav about a 6/10 chance, Dr. Ford about 4/10 and the FBI are going to get 0/10 whatever happens - Trump has hung them out to dry on this one and I have to be honest, that's a seriously smart move on his part (for his own selfish interests).

I've watched the Dr Ford interviews and something doesn't sit right.

She comes across very coached and unreliable, and there are many holes in her story.

We will never know what actually happened, but it appears at least partially politically motivated.

I haven't watched the Kav interviews yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zero said:

I've watched the Dr Ford interviews and something doesn't sit right.

She comes across very coached and unreliable, and there are many holes in her story.

We will never know what actually happened, but it appears at least partially politically motivated.

I haven't watched the Kav interviews yet.

She's a trained psychologist so any coaching she's had will be slanted by her background - she'll 'know better' than any advice she gets.

Kav just comes across as yet another rich-boy-rich-dad self-serving say-what-gets-a-result type person. The interview pieces I've seen show him to be a largely unstable and easily influenced individual; perfect candidate for the Senate judiciary (depending on your perspective).

I was reading (dangerous exercise given paucity of credible sources) that Kav has never actually overseen a general public case, and that he was 'elevated' to his position by one of the Bush Presidents - leap frog, old boys club type promotion. (Fact checking and credible correlation required.)

Regardless of the outcome, a lot of damage has been done. And it has distracted US and world attention from another multi-$tn tax break put in place by the Republicans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no doubt there is a huge amount of corruption in the US system.

The old boys club doesn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, zero said:

...

I haven't watched the Kav interviews yet.

You need to at least watch his opening address. It's audacious and just gold.

And you can't miss SNL's version. Actually, I'm not sure it matters in which order you watch them, each are equally credible but one is deeply disturbing, the other is funny.

C-Span Kav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXM4EY87qY

SNL Kav: https://youtu.be/VRJecfRxbr8 (may need to use a proxy: https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, M3AN said:

And you can't miss SNL's version. Actually, I'm not sure it matters in which order you watch them, each are equally credible but one is deeply disturbing, the other is funny.

C-Span Kav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXM4EY87qY

SNL Kav: https://youtu.be/VRJecfRxbr8 (may need to use a proxy: https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/)

brilliant!  thanks Dave for the links 😀

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×