Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

X5M razor style key on all F-series

I've ordered one and will report back once I receive the key. Pretty awesome. I've been following a thread on another forum about this swap but it involves desoldering chips etc which I know nothing about. Clearly this guy saw a gap and took it and if it works its a pretty cheap way to get a spare key too! 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2508091127

[Image: smartselect_20180908-135446_ebay_1501418179.jpg]

Not so sure what the point of that would be, as you don't actually end up with a spare key if you have to cannibalise your existing key to make the new one? So all you are doing is changing the case from the "old" style to the "new" style.

You would really need to know what you are doing with a soldering iron in there as well, having smashed up some of these keys it's a pretty small and intricate pcb to start soldering things onto and off of.

Good luck if you give it a go, let us know how you get on...

• Like 2

Yep, if you were doing this yourself then it would be the case however this one is sold as already modified so you just program it to your car and you're done... 

Ah, right. Didn't click on the link, just read your post. Yup, that is cheap for a spare key.

Not sure that frequency is the right one for NZ New remotes though, is that the exact one you have ordered?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Ah, right. Didn't click on the link, just read your post. Yup, that is cheap for a spare key.

Not sure that frequency is the right one for NZ New remotes though, is that the exact one you have ordered?

Yup, that same one. 868mhz is the correct frequency. On f-series remotes the frequency is printed under the blade key. 

20180910_215826.jpg

Cool, you got the right one.

I should have known that frequency, lol.