Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

E39 535i 5HP-24 issues

I picked up an E39 535i reasonably cheaply knowing it needed a new auto. Tracked down and replaced the auto with the same 5HP-24 box, except the replacement one came from a 540i. Got the box in, everything back together. Car starts and goes into gear, however it isn't locking into gear, seems like it's slipping everywhere, and goes into failsafe mode pretty quickly - so it hasn't "solved" the issue.

Not knowing a lot about auto's (and especially these ones), my first thought was low on fluid. Have been in contact with the guy I bought the box off, and he's mentioned he previously had the same issue with a 5HP-30 box he swapped, car ended up having to go to a dealer to get the box recoded to match the car - does anyone know if this is necessary?

I did have a look at the ETK and (obviously) there's some electronics inside the box - would it be easier to swap the electronics over instead of recoding? Or any other potential things to check first? Given I'm in Invercargill and the nearest actual dealership would be Dunedin (who may not actually be able to do it anyway and may say Christchurch would be the nearest option), I'd rather not have to ship the car up and pay for a stealership if there may be other ways to sort this out.

Any ideas/suggestions are most welcome at this stage - after wiping my other car out (and still getting messed around by the insurance company) I need to get this one sorted as soon as possible to get mobile again.

did the trans cooler fit up fine? I.e were they both pre or post vanos cars? 

Assuming you already disconnected battery for 30 mins plus incase any trans settings stored in ECU.

Yeah, was no problems with any of the fittings, everything lined up perfectly. Are you thinking about fluid flowing through the whole system as it should? It is possible a line may be kinked or pinched somewhere, as installation was finished off in a hurry. Would be worth checking the lines and cooler to see if I can see anything obvious.

Battery was out of the car for a few days charging before everything was hooked up, as far as I know though these systems remember all the settings and fault codes etc even when the battery is disconnected.

Have you got a decent scanner? Surely EGS codes would give some info

• Thanks 1

I would suggest clearing the adaptions since you have changed the box before you damage it

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Have you got a decent scanner? Surely EGS codes would give some info

Did have INPA and EDIABAS running on this computer, really should get them back up and running and scan the car - they should show any faults, shouldn't they? 

6 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

I would suggest clearing the adaptions since you have changed the box before you damage it

Yes good idea, I didn't think of that. Clear them and all previous fault codes, then see what new faults pop up - might shed some more light on the problem.

Yup. Having the battery off shouldn't clear the trans adaptions on the e39, might clear driver pattern adaptions but that'd be it. 

Was thinking maybe issue with trans cooler and thermostat as the setup is different pre/post vanos.

Battery disconnect is supposed to delete trans adaptive learning feature. 

Google had a thread with guy that had the exact problem but he never came back with the resolution, dont you hate that. 

Rheingold (ISTA/D/P) is the newer diagnostic tool, much easier to use than INPA

Edited by andrewm
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

Yup. Having the battery off shouldn't clear the trans adaptions on the e39, might clear driver pattern adaptions but that'd be it. 

Yes, suspected as much - thanks for confirming for me ?

52 minutes ago, andrewm said:

Was thinking maybe issue with trans cooler and thermostat as the setup is different pre/post vanos.

Battery disconnect is supposed to delete trans adaptive learning feature. 

Google had a thread with guy that had the exact problem but he never came back with the resolution, dont you hate that. 

Rheingold (ISTA/D/P) is the newer diagnostic tool, much easier to use than INPA

Yes, definitely worth checking everything is working right, and the system has the right inputs. 

Yeah sucks when that happens, he may have never resolved it. Even worse when they come back and tell you it's fixed but not how it was fixed ?

Ok cool, thanks for the heads up on that, will look into Rheingold - had heard the name thrown around but never checked it out.