Sign in to follow this  
Drea//Mer

E36 Key Codes

My only key for my e36 318i has become so worn that the other day it slid right out of the ignition tumbler leaving the car stuck in the igniton on position.  I had to stall the car to stop the engine.

My local lock smith tried copying a key from the old worn key, resulting in a key with missing teeth that will not work in any lock.  He told me if i can find the original key code he can lasercut it from that..  Where would i find such a code?  We tried calling our local (Dunedin) dealership but they were less than helpful and actually quite rude.  Is there a vin number to keycode lookup table?  

Failing that i will be taking a door tumbler in with the correctly ordered wafers in for the locksmith to decode by hand...   If there is no publicly available vin-key lookup   surely there is a wafer number to key number conversion chart?  

Im probably going to be replacing the ignition switches with a push button start setup that replaces the cigarette lighter,  but i really want a working key.

as above, just order a new key. A non-remote ignition key is fairly priced from dealer. I won't tell you how much as my last order was over 5 years ago, making it somewhat irrelevant. Give the parts department a call.

1 hour ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Does the car have EWS ??

yup.

I gave the tumbler to the locksmith today and they were able to cut an acurate factory key and give me the corresponding key number ?   I'll be transferring the chip from the old key into the casing for the new to deal with the ews issue.

My problem now is im pretty sure the ignition barrel is broken, neither key turns it and its locked in "acc on, run on" position.  I'll be attempting to wire a push button setup like this: http://bmwz3diys.weebly.com/push-button-start.html

My only fear is the steering lock randomly engaging while i drive, is this possible if the ignition is doing weird stuff?

8 hours ago, Drea//Mer said:

My only fear is the steering lock randomly engaging while i drive, is this possible if the ignition is doing weird stuff?

I would suggest you remove it. Removes any risk while driving. You have checked that the ignition switch still works ?

havent pulled the switch off yet, its still making contact right now so i assume the switch itself is fine, just something inside the tumbler or maybe the shaft that connects the tubler and switch has snapped causing the key to not turn the barrel & actuate the switch.    From what i have read i cant remove the ignition tubler without turning it to position 2 and using a hairpin in the wee hole to release it, not possible from where it is now.   I'll have to try pulling it all apart frm the back.