Sign in to follow this  
Young Thrash Driver

E36 tax starting

Wait is that even an IS?

I thought they had all the M gear bar the drivetrain?

Edited by Driftit

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

Wait is that even an IS?

That car does have an odd combination, every 318is i've seen in person has the full motorsport bodykit;  but this car does have the twin cam engine so it is better than the standard 318i...

All 318 coupes are iS, that just means it has m42/44 not 40/43

the kit etc was optional 

On 9/15/2018 at 12:52 AM, Driftit said:

Wait is that even an IS?

Nope- As dirtygoogle said, all coupes are an IS but I've personally owned a Calyso red 318is in the same poverty spec and non M-sport. 

14 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Nope- As dirtygoogle said, all coupes are an IS but I've personally owned a Calyso red 318is in the same poverty spec and non M-sport. 

I did wonder how the IS was killed off.

In the UK and US it meant your were getting the best of the model.  E28 535is, E34 535is, E30 325is are all the best non M cars you could get.

Then comes the E36.

guys, look up the vin.  it's not povo spec, it has aircon, Msports suspension, sunroof, and even passenger airbag!

It's not like they made money on it, I think this would have been around $55-60k australian back then.

This example is certainly nowhere near as nice as the near-new iS I drove about 1600kms in in Dec/Jan 1993.

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

In the UK and US it meant your were getting the best of the model.  E28 535is, E34 535is, E30 325is are all the best non M cars you could get.

Then comes the E36.

BMW sure does love to throw a spanner in the works! ? BMW- lets create a variation of the 325i with a less powerful 2.5 litre and call it the 323i so that nothing makes sense anymore!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Driftit said:

Then comes the E36.

A lot of this comes down to local market variations in the naming of cars, for example the E30 had an 325iS in the States, which was badged as the M325i in Nu Zilland and called a 325i Sport in the UK. The the SAFAs did something completely difference and I can't remember what they called it!

There were definately two different models in the UK market, 318i coupe and then the 318iS which always had the M-Sport kit, interior, etc. Again, may well have been different in other markets.

Don't forget the Italian market e30 320iS... 

Typically all the coupes ran the sport suspension too. Have yet to see one without it. 

I think in some strange markets the coupe could be had with m40/43 and bouncy castle suspension. But anything we get here had the sport stuff 

3 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

Typically all the coupes ran the sport suspension too. Have yet to see one without it.

I am pretty sure my 318is doesn't have sport suspension, Vin is WBABE52030EK76967.

Should do if it's a 318is 

Can't seem to decode your vin

If in doubt measure your front sway bar, sport is 26mm and standard is 23.5

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

Should do if it's a 318is 

Can't seem to decode your vin

If in doubt measure your front sway bar, sport is 26mm and standard is 23.5

Just had a look at the vin decoded but nothing about sports suspension, will look into the sway bar though just to be sure.  

318is Vin decoded.pdf

• Like 1