Etwenty1

Bmw E39 possible ews problem

After the battery went dead on my E39 1997 528i I tried jump starting it but noticed the starter was not even clicking. I fully re-charged the battery at tried again but still no cranking. All lights come up fine. I scanned it using a basic OBD2 reader and got error 12 ews signal defective. 

Can anyone help?

I changed the water pump the night before and it started fine after the job but next morning when I planned to test drive it, the battery was dead - was around 11v

Do you have a spare key you can try? This happened to me last week (2003 e39), turned out the key was dead. Might not be part of your problem, but costs nothing to try, as opposed to replacing ews/ignition switch. 

Thanks for the reply, no only ever had one key for this one, remote works fine and have not had key open lately.

Can you delete the code? Try disconnecting the battery to reboot it - sometimes works...

The EWS/transponder and the door remote are two different components, albeit in the same key. In aftermarket keys, they are completely separate parts of your key, where on the OEM keys, the transponder is built into the key electronics. That the remote works means nothing for the EWS being working, or not.

That said, coding a VIN to an EWS module is trivial, and EWS modules are cheap as anything from wreckers. You're a bit out of the way for easy assistance though... Good luck!

36 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

The EWS/transponder and the door remote are two different components, albeit in the same key. In aftermarket keys, they are completely separate parts of your key, where on the OEM keys, the transponder is built into the key electronics. That the remote works means nothing for the EWS being working, or not.

That said, coding a VIN to an EWS module is trivial, and EWS modules are cheap as anything from wreckers. You're a bit out of the way for easy assistance though... Good luck!

Hi Gabriel, thanks

so are you suggesting a get a 2nd hand ews unit and get it re- coded. What minimum gear is needed to recode?

I was thinking an ews delete and tune chip off ebay.

54 minutes ago, Etwenty1 said:

Hi Gabriel, thanks

so are you suggesting a get a 2nd hand ews unit and get it re- coded. What minimum gear is needed to recode?

I was thinking an ews delete and tune chip off ebay.

A lot of people around here go for EWS delete. I happen to have the bits (All you need is an AK90+) and have done this a bunch of times now, so for me, coding a new EWS is easier than a delete, which I've never done. The same equipment lets you code keys too, which is a nice bonus skill/ability to have in my book.

So tonight I gave the car a battery reset but no change, I cleared the error message which was read from the dme module but it came back. I tried to read the ews module but I was kept getting a connection error so seems like the ews is unresponsive. The car is not a daily so Ive got time. Think I'll look for another module then try to get it coded. Does the module have to be in the car to be coded? 

You need a corresponding chip for the key to go with the EWS and the EWS then has to be aligned (coded) to the DME.

I might also add that this may not be your problem...the actual fault needs to be determined accurately before you start throwing money and time at it