Sign in to follow this  
Drea//Mer

e36 drums to discs

Okay so i failed a WOF on worn brake shoes, and destroyed a fair amount of stuff trying to get the brake drums off in the replacement process.  Its going to cost several hundred dollars replacing the brake shoes, brake cylinders brake drums and some of the spring kit components so im wondering if it be easier for me to convert to a rotor / caliper setup in the rear?

I do have a complete rear end setup that i pulled out of an automatic 318i,  diff, wheels, crossmember etc that will almost be a bolt on replacement (i think)  but i was wondering if i need lvvta certification if im doing a brake drum to brake rotor swap...  the cars came from factory with both options.  I'd like to see the wof inspectors reaction when i bring it back in with rotors itead of drums.

Does anyone know if this will need cert?

This is one of those "you certainly should" situations.

There is nothing to stop you replacing the bushes in you (drum brake) rear arms, replacing hoses, stripping and rebuilding the entire brake assembly, and so on. That's just maintenance.
And E36s were certainly factory-fitted with rear disc brakes. Did BMW make any other modifications to the brake system - master cylinder, for example - between drums and discs? Check RealOEM, BMWfans, or whatever your favoured online parts catalogue is.

I'd postulate that anyone capable of correctly rebuilding a brake system (which is something you can do at home and does not require certification) could capably replace drums with discs. Of course, the cert process is designed to confirm that capability, and the safety of the installation.

There's no way to prove it originally had drums. 

Swap the rear arms over with the complete assemblies, bolts up, same brake lines etc 

Have done my 316 like this and the brake bias is still okay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

There's no way to prove it originally had drums. 

This is my point, it failed at this particular place for worn shoes, but if i do the conversion and take it for a wof elsewhere they would never know it wasnt discs from factory.  When looking up the vin in several different systems it shows the car as having discs.  The guy at supercheap auto insisted to my partner that the car had discs and that she didnt actually want the brake shoes she asked for.

I understand the braking system is very important to get right,  i've taken calipers on and off before and bled brake lines etc, but if i do end up doing the swap i will have my work checked over properly.

• Like 3

Point of order, chaps, the E36 rear discs also have internal drums for the handbrake  emergency braking system.

If you're stuck and want to keep it drums, I can get the rear drums off my Compact for you. They were working perfectly when the car "fell" off the road, so it's gonna get scrapped for parts anyway. 

On 9/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, Mad_Max said:

If you're stuck and want to keep it drums, I can get the rear drums off my Compact for you. They were working perfectly when the car "fell" off the road, so it's gonna get scrapped for parts anyway. 

I hope you're not talking about the alpina!  Im gonna try change the rear arms over tomorrow, if it doesnt go well i might give send you a txt ☺️

On 9/21/2018 at 8:14 PM, Drea//Mer said:

I hope you're not talking about the alpina! ☺️

Sadly, yes. She's a complete loss

1535527293731.jpg

• Sad 1