Sign in to follow this  
EKK

F80 M3 engine light

Hi guys, bought my M3 no long ago, really love the car and enjoy driving it, absolutely great.

car has done 6500km so far with NZ performance stage 2 ecu tune and Miltek Catless down Pipe, mid pipe and rear muffler.

My question is, few days ago, I used the M1 model and pulled it hard to have a a little bit fun, all of a sudden a warning sign come up along with the yellow engine light, car started shaking and showing message “full power not available, have car checked at dealer”, I restarted the car and everything was fine. (No engine light, no shaking, no warning message).

Yesterday I did the same thing and it happened again, but this time the yellow engine light stays on. I restarted a few times but no luck. (Car drives fine)

I googled it and people say the spark plugs need to be replaced, reason being is with stage 2 tune, spark plugs should be colder to avoid misfire, they recommend NGK 97506.

Just wondering anyone here suffer the same problem?

cheers

First step should be to get the car scanned at a reputable workshop to figure out what the issue actually is.

Had this done today, misfire.

i will get the spark plugs changed and see how it goes from there

Off the back off the code they should have told you the cylinder, number of times it happened. 

BMWs misfire detection is controlled via the ionic detection hardware installed in the ECU, this is what triggers the DTC in the fault memory. It is essentially is a hall effect clamp which analyses the current and its shape on each spark event. Done right a shop can tell if it is a spark plug or a coil issue.