Sign in to follow this  
BozzaFC

GROM Unit for E39

Hi there,

Currently looking at options for adding an aux functionality to my 2001 E39 and the GROM units have caught my attention. I want to keep the stock head unit but am getting tired of listening to the same CDs/radio. I know to add an aux function to the standard setup requires a head unit with a build date post 09/2002, and my car being a 2001 won't have the right one. 

Has anyone had any experience with these GROM units? Are they compatible with a pre 09/2002 head unit? The GROM website seems to think they work with all model years, and I have emailed them to check this to which they confirmed. Also with installation, does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Here's a link to what I'm looking at:  https://gromaudio.com/store/aux1_adapters/bmw_mini_98-05_auxiliary_adapter_kit_-_behind_the_radio.html

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi BozzaFC

Did you get any further with this investigation / install?

I'm keen to also add BT, USB etc but also retain the factory MID radio so i don't lose the OBC features and i don't want to massacre the dash.

Some of the Eonon Android units looks ok but you do lose the OBC features....

Hey mate, ended up buying this one here:

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/bmw-mini-98-05-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-behind-the-radio-connector.html

This one is the version above the one I linked in the principal post. I decided I’d rather just have Bluetooth and not faff about with annoying cords.

It’s Bluetooth, works with the factory head unit, is completely hidden away and retains the functionality of the steering wheel buttons etc. Absolutely perfect for me. Happy with the audio quality and my phone connects automatically every time I get in the car. I really like how it reads out the song title/album title/artist on the factory screen. Some people I’ve taken in the car have asked how an 18 year old car has Bluetooth! I keep telling people: this isn’t a Honda Accord, this is the real deal ?.

It also comes with a handsfree mic, but I decided not to plug that in. I don’t drive and talk on the phone often, but mainly I find that those external mics look out of place. That’s just personal preference though. 

Only downside is you lose the functionality of the CD changer. I’m pretty sure this can be reverted back if you ever want to play your CDs, but don’t quote me on that. I don’t really miss mine at all.

Installation isn’t too bad. If I can do it, most people can. Instructions are pretty helpful. 

I assume your car is the same as mine, in that it has no DSP or nav? In that case, this will work just fine with your car. 

The one I’ve linked doesn’t have a USB function, but I believe GROM offers one with USB. Slightly more expensive I think.

Let me know if you have any issues ?

Edited by BozzaFC
USB
  • Like 2

Awesome man thanks for that. Yeah I have no nav, no dsp. A tape player and mid radio in the dash and a 6 CD stacker in the boot. 

Did You tuck the Grom behind the dash /radio?

Dont mind losing CD changer as phone has 32gigs of music on it vs 6cds so it's a win for listening options whilst driving. And this option let's me spend more on speakers ?

Yep to tucking the unit behind the radio. It’s impossible to know it’s in there. 

Let me know how you get on with speakers. That’s something I definitely want to get done soon ?

Seems expensive for you you are getting. 

What i plan on getting after doing some research. Gets me everything while retaining all OEM functions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTRONS-7-Android-8-1-Car-DVD-Player-RCA-GPS-DAB-OBD2-Radio4G-for-BMW-E39-E38/332369784170?hash=item4d62c86d6a:g:FGcAAOSwaSVb~hDc:rk:1:pf:0

16 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Seems expensive for you you are getting. 

What i plan on getting after doing some research. Gets me everything while retaining all OEM functions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTRONS-7-Android-8-1-Car-DVD-Player-RCA-GPS-DAB-OBD2-Radio4G-for-BMW-E39-E38/332369784170?hash=item4d62c86d6a:g:FGcAAOSwaSVb~hDc:rk:1:pf:0

horses or courses i think @Eagle

the unit you've linked there is very similar nearly identical to the Eonon unit I've been looking at.

Which is nice for an android set up but would require me to loose the MID Radio with OBC functions as mentioned above.

I cannot see anywhere in the functionality of either Android unit where this OEM OBC functionality is retained?

I see from your other post about you awesome looking manual conversion, that your dash is similar config to mine, so keen to know how you go with this swap.

My current thinking is addition of Bluetooth functionality (as most of my music resides on my Phone), aftermarket amp to beef up the output to to some new speakers, whilst keeping the dash and OBC as factory as possible.

Edited by hunter
phrasing

If you have a the 'high' cluster you are right you would loose that and that changes your decision. I have the 'low' cluster which has very little info displayed on it and is stalk controlled anyway so im not loosing anything meaningful (expect time\date which is N\A once you install this) and have a most modern car features i need. 

Yeah seen a few Eonon in person but i this one appears to be better in regards to adaptability with steering wheel buttons etc.

Yeah I have high cluster and didnt realize there was a "low" cluster type. 

2 weeks in to 5 series ownership and learning about all subtle the differences lol. 

Still keen to hear how the android unit install goes. Cheers

Nah it's a jap import 

Oh yep. Most NZ new 530i’s have the low cluster I’ve found. Tend to be more poverty spec than the imports. Mines a low cluster, so can’t comment on how the GROM unit works with it

Ah thought it was NZ new for some reason (damn IR key fobs and EU3 etc but that can be fixed :D). Other option is reallocate the OBC which some people have done but hard to make it look nice with a full din unit.

Yep im sure ill get around to it after suspension and interior are done. I rarely use any ICE so its pretty low priority for me.

Nothing wrong with NZ new 530i spec imo, less to go wrong haha and things can be added easiest enough on these cars.

21 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Mines a low cluster, so can’t comment on how the GROM unit works with it

Sorry, do you mean works with the high cluster?

Sorry, just realised that wasn’t overly clear. *can’t comment on how it works with the high cluster 

I recently got the USB version with the BT addon for my E36. Happy with the result, only downside is track titles etc don't show but I think that is the head unit I have, rather than the Grom unit. It mimics the CD stacker by folders on the USB stick. If you want to keep the factory hardware/look, GROM is on point.

• Like 2

you guys have any issues with high pitch "whining" from the unit? mine is located behind HVAC, belowe the tape player

i get it at any volume, not really noticable whe the music is playing above quiet - i got a new unit from GROM as the forst was really bad, this ones better but not silent even when no music is playing i can hear it 

keen to hear your experiences an placements

1 hour ago, hunter said:

you guys have any issues with high pitch "whining" from the unit? mine is located behind HVAC, belowe the tape player

i get it at any volume, not really noticable whe the music is playing above quiet - i got a new unit from GROM as the forst was really bad, this ones better but not silent even when no music is playing i can hear it 

keen to hear your experiences an placements

I havent noticed any whining.....but the V8 + muffler delete might have something to do with that ? I went to New Plymouth a few weeks ago and the GROM worked perfect...I finally used the USB charge function too. I still haven't hooked up the mic yet, have you? Did it whine before you upgraded the speakers?

Edited by adro
  • Like 1

Hi @adro

Yeah whines regardless of speakers. Sometimes it's more noticeable than others but haven't been able to determine a pattern . I have hooked the mic up yet and have disconnected the charger cable as the Male aux jack wasnt working right. 

Everything else about it is great, connects easily etc just the white noise factor. 

How Far away from the tape deck did you put the wire taps, could that be a factor, mine were quite close....?

I have the unit also behind the HVAC. Not sure what the distance was from the posi taps. Was planning on soldering them in at some point but wanted to make sure everything worked first. Soldering could be an option?

Avoid Eonon, guys.  I installed one recently and it's rubbish.  Check out Avin - more expensive, but you get what you pay for.   There's a recent review of it on Bimmerforums.

Also there's an outfit in Germany doing an IBUS USB adaptor which  which lets you display and set/reset all OBC functions via the Avin (or any android unit) and even adds a few extra. 

Edit: from what I can see this looks to be an optional item as part of the Avin unit that you can add to the order.

Edited by HardBall66
Additional info
  • Like 2

Only thing that pisses me off about my GROM BT3 in the Touring is that when you turn the car back on after using it, it reverts back to the tuner and the volume is cranked right up. There must be a gain setting to match it with the tuner output ? I'll have to investigate but this only started happening after i installed a business RDS unit so I could get all the NZ radio frequencies.

3 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Only thing that pisses me off about my GROM BT3 in the Touring is that when you turn the car back on after using it, it reverts back to the tuner and the volume is cranked right up. There must be a gain setting to match it with the tuner output ? I'll have to investigate but this only started happening after i installed a business RDS unit so I could get all the NZ radio frequencies.

I'm running business RDS and it defaults to whatever input it was on before it was turned off it.

12 minutes ago, adro said:

I'm running business RDS and it defaults to whatever input it was on before it was turned off it.

Mmm yeah weird. I'm guessing it's because the car thinks it should have the original Jap radio in it. Might need to look in to the coding side of things.