Sign in to follow this  
Lava

E46 transmission issue

Hi there,

I’m new on this forum. I have a 318i 2002. I’m having a issue in automatic transmission. When I start to drive the car after a cold start, rpm suddenly goes bit higher. Then the transmission error occurs and shifts are becoming hard. Can feel them really hard. However, once I stop the engine and restart the car, this error and hard shifts go away. Car would shift as normally. Does anyone have idea on what could be the issue? Could it be a bad MAF? No check engine light so far. And I did change the transmission fluid and filter as well. But still issue is there. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Lava

You'll need to get the transmission computer (EGS) codes read to find out what's going on.  Your normal bluetooth/WiFi to phone type scanner will not do the job as it only talks to the engine computer (DME). 

Find someone local with INPA set up on a computer or set it up on your own windows computer with it. Link to INPA below

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2184573-The-Z3-Diagnostics-Thread-Instructions-Experiences-Discussions-Experimentation

Alternatively, its off to the BMW dealer or independant service center that knows about BMW's.

Edited by NZ00Z3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NZ00Z3 said:

You'll need to get the transmission computer (EGS) codes read to find out what's going on.  Your normal bluetooth/WiFi to phone type scanner will not do the job as it only talks to the engine computer (DME). 

Find someone local with INPA set up on a computer or set it up on your own windows computer with it. Link to INPA below

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2184573-The-Z3-Diagnostics-Thread-Instructions-Experiences-Discussions-Experimentation

Alternatively, its off to the BMW dealer or independant service center that knows about BMW's.

Thanks for the information. Any recommended service center in Christchurch? Dealer might charge heaps right? 

37 minutes ago, Lava said:

Thanks for the information. Any recommended service center in Christchurch? Dealer might charge heaps right? 

If it is a definite trans issue then Ace-o-Matic on Stanmore Road.