Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

650i Roadtrip

Hi folks. I'll post some pics of my epic road trip in this thread. Haven't had much time to stop for photos, but here's one to get started ? 

Taken last night at Cullen Point.

bmw_nelson.jpeg

• Like 3

Having a blast down south. I did het something that took a wee bit of paint off the lower bumper around the air intake, and picked up a bit of curb rash on the one rim...will just do one big claim and recon when we get back to Auckland.

We have both the 6-er and the Tiguan on the road trip, and the 6-er is by far the more comfortable of the two ? Fuel economy aint too bad either at 10l/100km.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 2.50.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 2.51.04 PM.png

• Like 3

Visiting Queenstown and Cardrona today. I think she deserves a valet when we get back to Auckland.

IMG_20180930_175945_581.jpg

IMG_20180930_175713_239.jpg

IMG_20180930_180034_798.jpg

• Like 1

Stunning drive from Queenstown to Christchurch today with a stop over at Lake Pukaki

IMG_20181001_155025_295.jpg

IMG_20181001_155014_429.jpg

IMG_20181001_110843_337.jpg

Certainly looks like a very nice calm day!. Thankyou for sharing some of your road trip photos. You went down the West Coast, through the Haast? How about some comments on the roads, the traffic, the way your car handled such a trip etc.  Cheers 

21 hours ago, OP6 said:

Certainly looks like a very nice calm day!. Thankyou for sharing some of your road trip photos. You went down the West Coast, through the Haast? How about some comments on the roads, the traffic, the way your car handled such a trip etc.  Cheers 

The roads are in excellent nic. From Auckland to Wellington was a breeze and rather unremarkable. Picton to Nelson...yoh...we took the mountain road. Man those turns. My sister in law was in the tiguan and they had to pull over because she was getting car sick. My other sister in law and I were in the 6-er and we were a-ok. Nelson to Franz Josef was picturesque and also uneventful. The thing with the 6-er is that she is a typical grand tourer. Everything about the driving is effortless. Smooth, linear acceleration accompanied by nible steering and a very firm but comfortable ride. Franz Josef to Wanaka was beautiful if a bit wet. Again, the windy roads through the Cardrona Valley were a treat in the 6. Wanaka to Christchurch was boring as. Flat country most the way and rather uneventful. Christchurch to Picton today was a challenge. Lost of roadworks on the coastal highway and at one point I was worried that we were going to be late to the ferry. But, it all worked out in the end. 

1 hour ago, hugo_nz said:

....... and at one point I was worried that we were going to be late to the ferry. But, it all worked out in the end. 

Sounds lke every south island trip i have done.The most frantic was from queenstown to Picton in one day with a stop over in CHC to service a near new Ducati 900 s2Ducati%20900S2%2082%20%203.jpg

man i was sore by the time i got to picton

• Thanks 1

Forgot this beauty taken in the Lindis Pass. We could not stop for any photos yesterday sadly. Going to try and get creative in Welly today. 

IMG_20181003_090101_974.jpg