Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

Notchy Getrag 220 manual transmission

Hi

The Getrag 220 manual in my Z3 is getting notchy when changing gear.  Car has 170,000 km on the clock and running Redline D4 ATF in the transmission.

Is there a better fluid to put in it to reduce the problem?

Do the Getrag transmissions have detent problems that can be easily fixed?

Regards

Murray

Murray, check that the slave cylinder is doing it's job properly.

Slave cylinder and clutch are good.  Both replaced less than 20,000 km ago along with fitting a stainless steal braided clutch line.

All Shifter rod bushings, yellow washers and plastic cup where replaced when the clutch was done, so all wear slop has been removed and there is a direct feel to the shifter. 

I don't know how different the 220 and 250G are, but I had the 250G in our old E39 525i.

The 250G DOES suffer from detent problems (Which i could free up, by repeatedly using the plane that caused the problem; while the trans was hot just push/pull the lever side to side while it was hot and free, and it usually kept it loose for months, even when cold).

In that trans, I changed the oil from what I assumed was the factory fill to Royal Purple Synchromax and it made a huge difference - really softened up the changes, but didn't slow the syncros down so much you couldn't shift fast. I changed it at under 120K kms, and it was still doing ok at 170+ when we sold it recently. It's not a super smooth box anyway, though...