Sign in to follow this  
scarlet-jester

Cleaning Soft Top

Hi all.

I read around about cleaning the soft top and there are quite a few recommendations I have found on US forums, but they are using a range of products that are not readily available in NZ.

For those out there with soft tops, what do you guys use to clean and condition them? My lid is gray rather than black 

Thanks - Roger T

2018-09-29 08.55.20.jpg

Edited by scarlet-jester
Typo

It's just like cleaning a tent or something similar.

For my vert, it was simple. I've done it a few times and no problems with mould over winter etc. Bird sh*t just sucks regardless.

Tools:

I would recommend a nice sunny day to do this. It requires a few hours due to steps.

How to:

1. Clean the roof.

• Spray it down with water first with cold water, just get crap off it.
  • Once it is clean, spray foaming cleaner on a section, start scrubbing with a brush, use a brush that suits the size of what you are working with.... Note: You should test your brushes first to make sure they aint too harsh and do damage to your cloth.
  • Make sure you are rinsing the roof off before moving to another part of the roof.
  • Once you are done here, rinse it all off with warm water to help it dry faster.

2. Leave to dry, have a beer or jam out with a hair dryer.

• Use micro fibre clothes to dry off the corners and rubbers. May need to dry more.

4. Once dry. Move car in a roofed and non windy area, like a  garage or a car port.

5. Spray protective spray, this may need several coats, read product instructions.

You're done. Just leave it to cure, should be good for another 3/6 months depending on exposure to weather really.

Or you could just lazy it out... water blast the crap out of it -> dry -> spray fabric protection -> walk away...

Thanks Outkast - great post.

I ended up getting this stuff and it did a great job. Did a fair bit of scrubbing and rinsing but it came out really well and got rid of all the stains. Water proofing appears to work well as last weekend car clean had the water beading nicely. It will do two clean and treatments so am sorted for next year.

Cleaner.thumb.jpg.14d0d533257017cec846bcef9b6e4ef6.jpg

Had a fair amount of algae at the base of the roof but a bit of elbow grease got it all off in the end.

Roof.thumb.jpg.ad532aadcaa5ed9f11ec6fcb5f777304.jpg