Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

L-Jetronic revlimiting

Guest Andrew

I was just driving back from Gus' this morning and decided to give my rev-limiter a test, because I was hitting it heaps in Gus' car last night and wanted to see what mine was like.

Well it didn't happen! .. The tacho went right off the end of 7000 and I immediately thought SHIITT and depressed the clutch hah.

So, how does it work in L-Jet, Gus' car seemed to do a fuel cutoff, shouldn't L-Jet do the same?

I only have the 318i to compare with so I might take that out for a thrash and see how that revlimits - if it can even reach it hah.

Guest Andrew

In response to Gus' txt.. your a munter. I can't hit the rev-limit because there isn't one, It goes right off the end of the tacho.

your computer isnt chipped is it? if it is that may be why... or is your car carby'd? if thats the case they dont usually have limiters do they? my little brothers old charade didnt rev limit and it was a carby job - it would valve bounce tho!! If your carby'd chuck a cam in and some twin side drafts or an IDA and it will be fooking apeshit!!!!

I take it from the fact that youve only just discovered you have no limiter you dont rev that high that often - so it shouldnt matter if it dont cut - unless your cataclysmically stoned and cant change the gear in time... (mind you, when your in that state you usually aint going much quicker than 30k anyway a?)

ask gus about my rev limiter. it hits it nicely just before 7000.

Guest Andrew

ask gus about my rev limiter. it hits it nicely just before 7000.

strange, its meant to come on at 6500.. did someone change it for you?

my car car the more advanced motronic system. it cuts out round 6500.

L-jet dosent have a rev limit computer cut, only a valve bounce rev limit

tim, doesnt your car have L jet? its a pre facelift.....

Guest Andrew

Tims car may have early motronic.. (1) .. I would assume its L-Jet though?

Tim they have a rev limiter on the distributor - i just ordered one for 6600 rpm.

Yeah i'll use my rocker arms as rev limiters .. hah, almost as good as the valve bounce idea (?)

hehe see how long she will last in excess of 7k :P

i know it motronic as it has the 2 pick-ups on the bell housing.

Mr kerb what would you know. you dont even know how to drive on the road. i have had my car alot longer than you and have done more sh*t to it.(repair unrelated) sweet bro............wot eva!!!

my bmw mechcanic has comfimed this.

sweet bro. you need a shift-light now. not one of those homo 5" tacho mounted ones.

i know it motronic as it has the 2 pick-ups on the bell housing.

Mr kerb what would you know. you dont even know how to drive on the road. i have had my car alot longer than you and have done more sh*t to it.(repair unrelated) sweet bro............wot eva!!!

my bmw mechcanic has comfimed this.

sweet bro. you need a shift-light now. not one of those homo 5" tacho mounted ones.

It'll tell you what version of Motronic it is on the ECU that is mounted under the dash to the right of the steering column. (there will be a sticker on the underside of the ECU).

Cheers

haha...shutup tim...im stealing your diff....and your abs.....damn u!

Tims car may have early motronic.. (1) .. I would assume its L-Jet though?

Tim they have a rev limiter on the distributor - i just ordered one for 6600 rpm.

Yeah i'll use my rocker arms as rev limiters .. hah, almost as good as the valve bounce idea (?)

Both my engines were from pre facelift cars ,1 was L-jet (84) & the other was Motronic (86) but they both had rev limiters .The L-jet hit at 6500 & the Motronic a fraction earlier

bumpstop325 Posted on Feb 18 2004, 02:02 PM

yip thats right.

Guest Andrew

bumpstop325 Posted on Feb 18 2004, 02:02 PM

yip thats right.

no its not - if they were have a rev limit on when started to go wrong in the motor that wouldn't be a very good idea.

There is a clip that goes on the top of the dizzy.

ollie, dont you mean above the glovebox???

go on gus i dare you!!

someone start a poll on who thinks gus's mum is hot???.................lol

Guest Andrew

ollie, dont you mean above the glovebox???

Definately on the driver side in my car.

Cheers

same here.. has big L-JETRONIC sticker.

Guest anubis

My 525i has L-jettronic, the limiter is in the distributor, on the actual rotor, its a simple weight with a spring behind it, at a certain speed it simply shorts out the spark, sounds crude, but it works well. Yours could be the same. Someone may have removed it, its corroded, or simply fallen apart, or its just doesn't have one at all, have a look at the rotor.

i havent said anything wrong here?? :huh:

Guest Andrew

My 525i has L-jettronic, the limiter is in the distributor, on the actual rotor, its a simple weight with a spring behind it, at a certain speed it simply shorts out the spark, sounds crude, but it works well. Yours could be the same. Someone may have removed it, its corroded, or simply fallen apart, or its just doesn't have one at all, have a look at the rotor.

Yep - I have the part sitting in my hand now - the spring is missing. I got a 6400 rpm put in 2 weeks ago when the car was in for the huge timing advance.

Guest Andrew

Anubis .. off topic I know.. do you own the porsche 944 plate nein 44 ? .. I see it everywhere..