Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

N52 starter motor (munted - supposedly)

So, my 330i has been getting gradually slower to start over the last couple of weeks, But until today, had never failed... all dash lights etc on as per usual; but no turney over of the motor, at all. Nothing. Deadski.

Got the AA battery dude out who waved his arms a lot and tested the battery; said the cells are at 12.2 and they need to be at 12.65 to turn the engine over. So, no worries, new battery - and Bob's your Uncle.

Bob however, had other ideas. New battery achieved nothing, so the AA tech gets his torch and long screwdriver, and (channeling 18yr old me with my Mum's old HC Viva) reached down and gave the starter a bit of tap... and whaddaya know - away she goes. So there's my a bit p!ssed that I've just paid $300 for a battery that I don't need (no job/redundancy, hence keen to sell the 330i), but happy that at least the beast is firing again.

Except the third time, it didn't. And hasn't since.

So the AA tech assures me it's a starter solenoid and a piece of p!ss for anyone that knows a bit of mechanical stuff to pull it apart, give it a clean and she'll be as right as rain (clearly, this is not me). He can't do it of course, cause he's a mere battery tech. But as if by coincidence; he suggests I use my AA Plus m/ship and get it towed to his mates garage in the Hutt. I enquire why wouldn't I get a mobile mechanic for such a "simple" job, and he replies that to access/remove the starter you need the car on a hoist. Oh, well fudge me if that's not more of my (very) limited $$$$ going down the dunny - so he rings his mate in the Hutt who reckons it's a $3-400 job to fit a recon starter (I know, I know... what happened to simple?).

So, once he finally stopped contradicting himself, took my money, and got the hell off my driveway - I now have a Titan Silver Touring paperweight sitting in my driveway.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether any of what he was saying was likely (I'm sure it was, I'm just not sure which parts exactly), and, who I can get it taken to to get it fixed? I've used Winger before but can appreciate that they want an arm, my remaining lung, and my Kiwisaver. Not really an option lol.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 1

Definitely dont need a hoist, Its on top of the box, under the inlet manifold... However I suspect you would have to remove the inlet manifold which would mean new seals and new ali bolts. Coupla hours and ~$200US in parts.

Was the AA guy a battery guy? AA roadside do use the battery vans for breakdown service in the cities,

His testing sounds strange from your description. 12.65 is about 3/4 charged, 12.2 about 1/3 & should be enough to get some reaction from the car, if not a start - assuming the battery is good.

12.2 does not necessarily denote a faulty battery, it could be just down on charge, although it can be tested at that voltage with an electronic tester to confirm good or bad. Did he test it as faulty or simply suggest that 12.2v denoted a faulty battery? If so - that is wrong!

You may well have had a weak battery & a faulty starter, (i would hope so from what you have been told)

BUT starter solenoid clean - doubt it! Almost EVERY (can't think of one that hasn't) starter nowadays has a sealed solenoid - non serviceable. It could be solenoid contacts at fault BUT much more likely is worn brushes. I also doubt on the "fitting a reconned starter"  - this is a thing of the past nowadays with the gazillion different starters & alternators out there.

30 years ago it was common to have reconned units on the shelf & ready to go.

So, starter needs removing & evaluating as to cost to repair or replace. No comfort to you though in the price that has been suggested - that is probably about par.

Thanks guys - it's off to Winger this morning... hopefully can get it going (otherwise it'll be a tow)... and hopefully some of the $$$ will be covered by my MBI.

Also going to get it serviced whilst it's there then I'll give it a good clean over the weekend and it'll be going on Trade Me (need the cash due to an impending house purchase). Yay.

1 hour ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Thanks guys - it's off to Winger this morning... hopefully can get it going (otherwise it'll be a tow)... and hopefully some of the $$$ will be covered by my MBI.

Also going to get it serviced whilst it's there then I'll give it a good clean over the weekend and it'll be going on Trade Me (need the cash due to an impending house purchase). Yay.

MBI will definitely cover it, will even cover the tow

• Like 1