Sign in to follow this  
KelvinD

540i Timing chain guides

Ok I couldnt wait for my parts so i went on a road trip to pick them up from the courier depot, I battled into the night doing a solid 8hrs but it was well worth it to hear her fire into life. I did a video of the first start but cant add videos to this forum? So now im just waiting on the new drive pulleys and shes done, it feels like its been way too long, cant wait to get her back out on the open road!

20190103_183815.jpg

20190103_212417.jpg

20190103_224338.jpg

20190104_011942.jpg

• Like 9

Here she is basking in the sun after 3 months of hibernation and rehabilitation after all is said and done im glad i took on the project, i got to know her just that little bit more :)

Time for a good clean inside and out, then off for a drive to town to get re aquainted with this sexy thang.

Thank you everyone for the help and support you are awesome!

20190110_142345.jpg

20190110_142317.jpg

• Like 4

Be interested in hearing if it feels different to drive.

Yeah don't think I've driven one with known good vanos seals.

11 hours ago, zero said:

Be interested in hearing if it feels different to drive.

Not sure if its because i got used to driving another car but the throttle response seems waaayy better, the sticky lifters that suddenly appeared after the chain guide job dissapeared after a good hard drive up the windy road. Still have to get her feet balanced and aligned after replacing the control arms so that bit is still the same. Im already looking at the next project on it which will be removing interior trim, re gluing head liner and pillars and dying them black. Replace the steering wheel and fix the rear sunshade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Yeah don't think I've driven one with known good vanos seals.

Its hard for me to tell if there is much difference yet, when i bought the car i only got to drive it for 3 weeks before the chain guides exploded so then it sat for 3 months before doing a 80km round trip yesterday which was good fun, it reminded me why i decided to do that job in the first place rather than just give up on it. As i said in the previous post the throttle response seems to be much much better/cleaner and giving more power with less pedal action but that could also be because i fixed a big vacum leak while i was in there. The one thing that still bugs me is the power loss at high rpm WOT, which im guessing is a maf issue because if i unplug it, it will pull right through the rpm range. So that is on my to do list for the near future. Just happy to have it running again, i dont think i stopped smiling till i went to sleep :)

• Like 1

Update:

I have norrowed down the power loss to the maf as the biggest contributor if not the only one.

Symptoms included

After 3500rpm the car would just lose a lot of power, like going from 8cyl to a 4 banger but still smooth running on all 8.

On colder mornings sometimes the problem was barely noticable

Holding throttle at about 5 - 10% in neutral would make the rpms surge between 200-1500 but at 20% or more would hold constant rpm

OBC set on l/hr on a wot pull would show it increase steady untill the power loss then drop off considerably and sit around 40l/hr

I checked the fuel pump and made sure all connections were tight, done a smoke test to ensure no air leaks from when i done the valley pan and timing chains etc. and also as i mentioned earlier unplugged the maf which is what made the obvious difference.

Whatever you do when looking for a maf DO NOT buy a no name chinese knock off.... i know i know. Its been said many times before but i thought what the hell its only $30. When i put it in, my baby wouldnt even start, just fired and died. I bought it knowing this might just happen so i got one with a warranty so at least i got my money back and no harm in trying right?

Anyway new bosch one installed and WOWZER! This thing throws down some power, i was expecting an improvement but not the "stick you in the seat" kind.

Moral of this long winded story, take the advice from other people that have had the same issues and dont cheap out on chinese copies, they are NOT the same.

My 540 is knocking on the door of 300k now and i have no history on it apart from what i have done and seen so it will be a long road yet before im completely content.

• Like 2