Sign in to follow this  
rod_r

Are number of historical WOF failures important

Bit of a random question, but are the number of WOF failures an indicator of potential trouble?

I'm looking for an e28/e30 as an "everything but commute" car and a couple of possibilities with similar prices are;

e28 / about 200km / original but looks a bit tired / a few known minor issues / 9 WOF failures since 2000

e30 / about 150km / original and looks mint / no known issues / 16 WOF failures since 2000

Additional question. For the same price, which car should be in better condition, ( has to be auto unfortunately ).

cheers

Edited by rod_r

My car history has a few. They have been service items like wiper blades, tyre tread death ( eg 1.4mm on rears a couple of series back) and rotors.

wifes car has been down to items such as brake light blubs and stuff like that .

so to answer the failures are often wear items that might look ok from the owners point of view.

Only thing I’d be concerned about is failure due to rust or major structural repairs 

Depends, WOFs can fail you on stupid things. But every second WOF is a bit much and indicates a careless owner IMO. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 3

Don't read in to it too much. Could be as simple as washer fluid.  

Or could mean the car has had more running repairs over the years and consequently better than others of similar milage. 

Or they could have just taken it to a WOF place that actually looks. Doesnt mean much. 

+1 to dont worry too much. My car failed its last WOF on a dirty reflector in the tail light, so not everything is a major. If it were me i would want to look at old wof sheets though and see what it was failing on if its happening every time.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:21 AM, KwS said:

+1 to dont worry too much. My car failed its last WOF on a dirty reflector in the tail light, so not everything is a major. If it were me i would want to look at old wof sheets though and see what it was failing on if its happening every time.

Haha wow that's a bit over the top.

My car is "Checked" every 2 years here in the US.  And they barely check it.  It failed last time because they couldn't connect to the OBD2 port to get the emissions readings.  I drove around the block and pulled back in.  2nd guy didn't even check that.  Pass.

However if you crash because of neglect to your vehicle.  Well you are liable.  And will likely get sued by and individual or an insurance company.

This works in the US.  But would not in the Nanny State of NZ.  If there was no hand holding for safety checks in NZ I reckon our sh*t road toll would be even higher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The e30 in my original post went through a PPI today. A reasonable list of minor items which I believe showed a general lack of maintenance by a previous long time owner, plus a shorter list of not so minor items which, when added up would have meant too high a total cost for that car.

the search continues