Sign in to follow this  
jake

Avoid Bimmer Software K+DCAN Cables

Avoid Bimmer Software K+DCAN Cables - purchased one a year ago to flash my 2007 335i, worked on my car but doesn’t work on any ‘08+ cars. Bimmer Software have confirmed the cable is likely at fault (K-line is functional but CAN is not) but won’t replace it, instead have asked me to buy another one. Yeah right.

Ebay cheap ones do just fine... higher risk of getting a faulty one but they're cheap enough that it's not a big deal. Mine works fine on my 2010 model.
I'm betting Bimmer Software just bulk orders a custom branded set with their own specifications from one of those Chinese suppliers. 

Edited by Matth5

Most of these type of cables require a software switch to turn it from K to D can

Have you tried this yet?

Also not all protocol chat through line 7 and 8 so when switching to D can you need to disconnect the bridge.

I find operator error more often than cable error with these things.

Edited by M3_Power

Keen to try the software switch - is there a specific app for switching modes? 

Thanks will try it out tonight. Bimmer Software have confirmed that their cable doesn’t need to be soft switched, but it’s worth a shot regardless. 

Edited by jake

8 hours ago, jake said:

Thanks will try it out tonight. Bimmer Software have confirmed that their cable doesn’t need to be soft switched, but it’s worth a shot regardless. 

I’ve yet to come across a cable that doesn’t require switching between K and D and I own loads of them!!!

Most of the time the cables are shipped in D Can mode which can still talk to earlier K Line cars because pins 7 and 8 are bridged

The better cables are shipped without this bridge and have an adaptor that bridge the two pins for K line cars.

The cheapercable vendors then built a manual toggle switch to bridge this and called it K&D Can capable.

Post 08 cars require true D can, so it may just be that your cable was shipped in K line state instead of D Can state. 

As I said, I’ve never seen a cable (especially those clear ones) that don’t require software switching to be fully functional.