Sign in to follow this  
Philster

Wellington Drivers - I am hoping you can help.

Hello everyone,  this is my first post here.   I am hoping to tap into some local knowledge to help me get a problem solved.

I am basically one very happy chap.  With the help of my wonderful lady and many years of saving I am now the owner of a 2015 F10 M5.  I got it in a private sale up in Auckland a couple of weeks ago and had a fantastic road trip back to Wellington.  

As fantastic as the car was to drive on the trip back, a problem manifested on the open road that is rather annoying.  On those “chip seal” roads that you typically find on the open road between towns, there is a very loud rattle coming from the steering column.  This rattle is not evident on normal inner city/town asphalt roads or motorways.

I took it in to Winger BMW, and they are happy to get it fixed under warranty, but won’t do anything until they can reproduce the rattle.   I have thus been on the hunt for a stretch of chip seal road within a reasonable distance to Winger BMW.   After several hours of driving around Ngaio, Northland, Newlands and Island Bay areas I have not found what I need.  So far the only bit of road that does the trick is at the bottom of the Rimutaka hill.   That is just too far away.

This is where I am hoping the members of this forum may be able to help.  I am looking for a stretch of chip seal road as close to Wellington City as possible, ideally with at least a 70KM speed limit, but any stretch should do.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Phil

The road going past Wingers should do?! 

That is chip seal and 70kmh, going to 80 after Onslow Rd.

Congrats on the car ?

Edited by coop

Thanks Coop. 

I did try that road but unfortunately the surface on that road is not as rough as what is on the open road between towns, so it does not cause the rattle.

3 hours ago, Philster said:

This is where I am hoping the members of this forum may be able to help.  I am looking for a stretch of chip seal road as close to Wellington City as possible, ideally with at least a 70KM speed limit, but any stretch should do.

Regards

Phil

The road from the bottom of Makara hill (Makara side) to the beach turn off is pretty rough and I think a 70kph limit?

Edited by balancerider
clarity

What mileage has the car now done ? And what work on the vehicle has been done over the last 12 months, including warranty and paid servicing ?

Take everything off your keyring!! ?

• Haha 1

Can you get it to make the noise over judder bars?

Thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated.

I will head out to Makara on my next road hunting trip, hopefully that does it.

In terms of judder bars, are you meaning the ones in the paint on the side of the road?  On those there is too much noise from the judder bars to be able to distinguish the rattle.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:26 AM, Philster said:

I am basically one very happy chap.  With the help of my wonderful lady and many years of saving I am now the owner of a 2015 F10 M5.

Nice one Phil, congratulations.

maybe take a drive around the back streets of the hutt valley there are still stone chip roads out there

yes there is!....that is my "check the ride quality road" Head north from lower hutt and turn left at liverton road about 2 km north of the kelson lights.There is a turn at about 1.5 km but it has very little shoulder there.It come out at the base of the haywards hill.Watch out for the firth concrete trucks they tend to treat the road as their own.Its quite uneven.

Be careful of massive pot holes along there too, nearly fallen in a couple

Can you get a passenger to video/record the noise so you at least let the Technician hear it??