Sign in to follow this  
1M2GO

1M trademe thoughts ?

I think it's lovely, was fawning over it the other day. I suspect it'll be a bucket-load more fun than any M3 you could get for the same money.

23 minutes ago, Bennyboy said:

What’s the deal with the brake energy regeneration thing, looks heavy.

blog says it is system designed to save fuel really save energy , so more power when accelerating.. doesnt seem to add weight, this car has every option you could get. low kms as well. but the price is up there at retail .

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

I think it's lovely, was fawning over it the other day. I suspect it'll be a bucket-load more fun than any M3 you could get for the same money.

I dont think the 1M has as good value-holding potential as most people had anticipated and hyped over when they first released.

I also dont see it going up hugely in value anytime soon which is why a lot of them are for sale.

At 75k or similar for the 1M you are almost in the ballpark of F80 M3 money which is totally different to the E9x M3 which are worth 35-50k.

I dont think you can compare this to the M3, way more value in the M3 which ever model it is compared to a 1M

Lack of S engine not a true M car

Never was never will be one and finally the market have realised this and prices have started to reflect this fact.

Marketing gimmic to ever call this a M car. 

To me this was the defining moment BMW M went downhill and everything just needed a badge to be a M

• Like 4

I was talking about "fun" and not "value" in my post and I'm confident a 1M would be way more "fun" than a modern M3 (M4), it's much, much lighter and has a far more practical power to weight ratio. It's a little tall (high) but nothing to be too concerned about, if you could drop it an inch or more it would have a lower CoG than an Fxx M4.

As for value, mark my words, M3's and M4's from the E9x era on will dump value the same as AMG's do, they have nothing that sets them sufficiently apart from any other marque to hold value and they're common as grass. I suspect this 1M is worth what's being asked ($40k less than a CSL) and they probably won't bottom out in value (see recent post about Exx M3 for <$25k). I see it as being the natural successor to E30 Sport Evo -> E36 M3 GT2 -> E46 M3 CSL -> E87 1M -> ???

One sold a few weeks ago for US$72,500 (https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/08/07/this-low-miles-bmw-1m-sold-for-72500/)

Future ///M money exists in the M2 only I'm afraid, certainly not the M3 or M4, they'll be worth rocks in a few years, mark my words.

7 minutes ago, M3_Power said:

Never was never will be one and finally the market have realised this and prices have started to reflect this fact.

To me this was the defining moment BMW M went downhill and everything just needed a badge to be a M

Unfortunately the S designation for engines isn't a reliable marker. Don't forget the S52, that's when BMW M first faltered.

The 1M is a "proper" M by any reasonable standard and I'm not sure they're dropping in price, most of the public trades in 2018 have been well over NZ$80k.

22 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Unfortunately the S designation for engines isn't a reliable marker. Don't forget the S52, that's when BMW M first faltered.

The 1M is a "proper" M by any reasonable standard and I'm not sure they're dropping in price, most of the public trades in 2018 have been well over NZ$80k.

Going to agree to disagree here. The US S52 was an emission related designation and the M spec engines did get some M rework if I am not mistaken. This differs significantly to the 1M engine which is a complete production engine.

When BMW offer the same engine first in a z4 35iS you know they fluffed it by calling it a M car.

Anyways we should all believe BMW that that G20 is going to beat them all ... or have they just Banksy’d themselves and doubled the price of the CSL : P

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-is-tired-of-your-sh*t-1829635007

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, M3_Power said:

Didn't the M1 have an M88 engine in it...? Not an M car..

Car has to be "engineered" by BMW M GmbH to gain the "WBS...."  vin stamp.

Agree about the M140i, M50d, etc M-Performance stuff, great cars but just too confusing to most of the customers. 

And the Z8 wasn't an ///M car and it used the S62.

My point being that an S designated motor has not been a satisfactory identifier of ///M cars since 1996.

And I'd take a 1M over any shitty S52 any day, I wouldn't care what the engine designation was.

Im pretty sure most of the people here are ragging on the 1M in the hopes that they will devalue some so we can buy one :D

1M is way cooler than an M3 of the same/similar vintage, was the first time in a decade that BMW M made an actual drivers car and not a luxury yacht. Also, modern "S" engines, while they might sound cool and have so many bro brag points, and have fancy numbers, have a very real reputation of being pretty poorly engineered handgrenades that cost a shed load to fix. 

Id much rather have a 1M than a M2/3/4. More fun, less nonsense and lard.

NZ Market for 1Ms is very different to the rest of the world, for some reason we got a whole lot more per capita than anywhere else. That one in the OP is stunning. 

• Like 2

OP = Original Post - Car looks absolutely immaculate. 

887078588.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jacko said:

OP = Original Post - Car looks absolutely immaculate. 

887078588.jpg

Yesi very much like it, that paint was an extra option as well. has all the options and low kms.

There were hardly any options to choose on an NZ New 1M, everything was included in the base price. The Valencia (?) orange paint was a new colour for the 1M but cost the same as black / grey / white, etc.

This may not have been the case in other markets. If you are getting your info from the net, check which country it refers to when they call these features "options".

19 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There were hardly any options to choose on an NZ New 1M, everything was included in the base price. The Valencia (?) orange paint was a new colour for the 1M but cost the same as black / grey / white, etc.

This may not have been the case in other markets. If you are getting your info from the net, check which country it refers to when they call these features "options".

ok thanks, there are a few for sale at present but this one seems to be best value, not sure i like white on any car. still pondering that option

On 10/13/2018 at 7:17 PM, M3AN said:

And the Z8 wasn't an ///M car and it used the S62.

My point being that an S designated motor has not been a satisfactory identifier of ///M cars since 1996.

And I'd take a 1M over any shitty S52 any day, I wouldn't care what the engine designation was.

If Porsche stuck a Boxster engine in a 911 body and called it a GT3 Porsche owners would never buy that car.

BMW does it to a 1 series - an ugly one at that (Z4 engine in a 1 body) and all the BMW fan boys go crazy over the car and thinks it’s the bees knees.

It’s not a M car just a marketing spin. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

DDidn't the M1 have an M88 engine in it...? Not an M car..

Car has to be "engineered" by BMW M GmbH to gain the "WBS...."  vin stamp.

Agree about the M140i, M50d, etc M-Performance stuff, great cars but just too confusing to most of the customers. 

Wasn’t the 850CSi also “engineered” by motorsport? But it never received the M status .... perhaps back then Motorsport understood what “motorsport” meant? Rather than having their balls pulled along by the marketing department nowdays?

On 10/15/2018 at 7:04 PM, Michael. said:

That car with a S62 would be great. 

Doing one of these anytime soon Ray? 

It would be slower and have less torque.

We had a dyno day a few and the the 1m made more torque and kw than a s62 and it was in standard form. Far more than the 250kw advertised.

4 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Wasn’t the 850CSi also “engineered” by motorsport? But it never received the M status .... perhaps back then Motorsport understood what “motorsport” meant? Rather than having their balls pulled along by the marketing department nowdays?

Correct, though it is considered to be ab M car.

8 minutes ago, 1M2GO said:

Correct, though it is considered to be ab M car.

Fair enough .... until this came along. What a shame it wasn’t put into production.

A48D9844-4379-4BB5-8B0C-5E795AD94F83.jpeg.b0d75ca8c5a6595035b1e080eed30f05.jpeg

My point is BMW might as do what Mercedes does now and badge everything with an “AMG” of some sort and capitalise on it (also at the same time dilute the brand) and slap a M badge on every second model they make ... oh wait ...

Edited by M3_Power