Sign in to follow this  
1M2GO

1M trademe thoughts ?

1 minute ago, M3_Power said:

Fair enough .... until this came along. What a shame it wasn’t made!!

A48D9844-4379-4BB5-8B0C-5E795AD94F83.jpeg.b0d75ca8c5a6595035b1e080eed30f05.jpeg

My point is BMW might as do what Mercedes does now and badge everything with an “AMG” of some sort and capitalise on it (also at the same time dilute the brand) and slap a M badge on every second model they make ... oh wait ...

We went to view in it my mates E39 M5. After driving the 1M, he let me drive his M5 on the way home, to be honest i was impressed,half the price manual and it has some serious go. and is definately a true M.

3 minutes ago, 1M2GO said:

We went to view in it my mates E39 M5. After driving the 1M, he let me drive his M5 on the way home, to be honest i was impressed,half the price manual and it has some serious go. and is definately a true M.

Driven the new M140i?

If not go try it, it eats the 1M for breakfast in every single department.

You can’t really compare a modern car to something nearly 20 years old.

I drove my CSL the other day right after my daily driver Twin turbo V8 wagon and my first impression was ... holy sh*t this is slow and unresponsive!!! Then I heard the induction roar again instead of the artificial exhaust burbles and pops of the modern turbos and all was good again!

Don’t get me wrong the 1M is a great car ... I just don’t think it deserves to be called a M. Perhaps a 135iS like it’s sister Z4 35iS

• Like 1

135is is a good fit.

135is already exists in US/Canada. 240kW  N55 with suspension tweaks and a bodykit

50 minutes ago, Jacko said:

135is already exists in US/Canada. 240kW  N55 with suspension tweaks and a bodykit

Interesting.  Never seen one.  Don't see many 1 series at all really.  Lots of 2's.

I'd still take the 1M for it rarity. Its not "mass produced" and despite the bitching, imo its a special car that was built specifically to be fun. I still think its an M car, because its been tweaked to be better than any standard model, has a bunch of "one off" parts exclusive to it, and has a limited production run.

• Like 1

Would absolutely love this in my E28!!!!?. Will get back to you after lotto this weekend. 

Anyway, back to the original topic.  

I honestly think BMW has lost it's soul after going turbo.  The new petrol engines sound like a diesel motor.   Yeah fuel this fuel that, bla bla bla... At least the M cars should have been kept NA straight 6/V8/V10/V12.  But hey, everyone is on the turbo bandwagon now and this may be the way of the future till we go full retard, oops I meant electric. 

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Neal said:

It would be slower and have less torque.

We had a dyno day a few and the the 1m made more torque and kw than a s62 and it was in standard form. Far more than the 250kw advertised.

Yeah but S62 noises are wayyyyyyy better than any N54 thing, Plus there's more to life than dyno figures. 

Ive driven various 135i, 335i manuals, DCT and autos, somewhat modified examples and I find them exceptionally boring cars, sound wise particularly, there's no sense of occasion, an NA M3 is slower but a lot more fun and the noises stir the soul. I guess that is why you have an E46 M3 and not an N54/N55 car? So good on you ! :p 

Edited by Michael.

My 335i is more exciting than my E36 M3 ever was, not to mention faster, and if i modified the exhaust, it'd sound better. Nothing at all wrong with going turbo. The N54/N55 is a very good engine, despite its unreliability.

All the arguing over the engine is missing out on the other hardware. LSD, suspension, and other M bits that BMW never puts on non M cars. 

Still, if you don't care for the "special low volume M car" factor you can mod a 135i to match or exceed a 1M's capabilities for less money. Many people have done that. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KwS said:

I'd still take the 1M for it rarity. Its not "mass produced" and despite the bitching, imo its a special car that was built specifically to be fun. I still think its an M car, because its been tweaked to be better than any standard model, has a bunch of "one off" parts exclusive to it, and has a limited production run.

6,342 1M's isn't exactly rare.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

6,342 1M's isn't exactly rare.

Thats total, world wide. Only 1,200 RHD were made. That's pretty rare. Rarer than most other "M" cars.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, m325i said:

If I were you OP - I'd go for an M2.

Wow yeah.  Great value compared to the 1M.

M2 is superior in every way.

Didn't realise M2 was so cheap in comparison. The only advantage the 1M has is that it's manual, but thats personal preference (I'd rather dct, which iirc M2 is?)

Thats currently however, M2s are still being produced. I bet in 10 years a 1M has depreciated significantly less than M2.

In other markets, where they werent "flooded" with 1Ms there is a large price difference, In the US for example, a 1M is around 70k USD, and a new M2 is 50k. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 1:03 PM, Michael. said:

Yeah but S62 noises are wayyyyyyy better than any N54 thing, Plus there's more to life than dyno figures. 

Ive driven various 135i, 335i manuals, DCT and autos, somewhat modified examples and I find them exceptionally boring cars, sound wise particularly, there's no sense of occasion, an NA M3 is slower but a lot more fun and the noises stir the soul. I guess that is why you have an E46 M3 and not an N54/N55 car? So good on you ! ?

Same dyno day the best sounding car was s54 powered with CF airbox.  What surprised me was both the e46 m3 and 1m were rated around 250 kw at the flywheel yet the 1m was doing closer to 300kw at the hubs verse mine at 210kw.

What got me was around the time I brought the m3 ($50k nz) I visited  San Diego a lhd new 1m could be had for $52k nzd for the base car. Here they where 102k or something like that. The m3 has halfed it’s price in that time was as the 1m has dropped less than 25%.  1M must be one of the lowest drops outside of a z8.

btw... m3 e46 replacement was stopped initially by child / single income / house mods and then wife’s new suv. 

My first choice would be f10 m5 or m2  as I do like turbos .

But the e46 m3 will need to stay based on its unrefined raw nature and the induction noise makes it a grim factor package that’s  not worth a lot so can be daily driven.

1M still one hell of a good car and it’s understated power will surprise. 

4 hours ago, KwS said:

Didn't realise M2 was so cheap in comparison. The only advantage the 1M has is that it's manual, but thats personal preference (I'd rather dct, which iirc M2 is?)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1443373644.htm?rsqid=36c2fe556e0541ff8211802395590538

• Like 2

I'd buy that ^ for a dollar. 

Probably the only thing BMW has made in the last 12 years I'd trade my old lump up to.

Still 25k more than the 1 which is a lot of coin. 

On 10/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, KwS said:

My 335i is more exciting than my E36 M3 ever was, not to mention faster, and if i modified the exhaust, it'd sound better. Nothing at all wrong with going turbo. The N54/N55 is a very good engine, despite its unreliability.

How is it more exciting? In a straight line? 

I found my old 200 horsepower fwd honda more exciting than my 335i on MD stage 2! Steering feel, road feedback, noise, engagement etc. 

I don't see how a 335i can be labelled an exciting car  unless you've completely revamped the suspension, the exhaust and added a LSD 

On 10/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, KwS said:

The N54/N55 is a very good engine, despite its unreliability.

I have trouble reconciling that statement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its a good engine.. makes good power stock, can handle good power, but requires regular oil changes, needs things like spark plugs and coil packs replaced every so often, sensors will fail and need replacing, but still its all good because we love BMWs and something being unreliable just means it hasnt been serviced and looked after properly.

Now if you take a toyota corolla, thats reliable even if you neglect all service for 50,000kms it will still run happy as larry. that is good.

It's perfectly reliable as long as you maintain it properly. It's extremely rare for a failure to happen suddenly and leave you stranded. 

It's just that maintaining it properly... takes effort and isn't cheap :)