Sign in to follow this  
Species 8472

E91 found out engine VIN is different than chassis VIN

We bought this E91 with 109K off TM 3 months ago. It drives great, fast, and comfortable. last week I bought the Carly app and dongle for  coding the battery and make the angel eyes DRL. Carly told me that the engine has a different VIN dan it should have. Apparently somewhere in the past the engine has been replaced. I was wondering if it is possible to read out the millage of engine alone with NSCexpert or on an other way? I don't think it has been swapped in NZ.

luxPA1k.jpg 

n0tlrbk.jpg

How does it even get that? Surely thats just the VIN on the DME, so it could have had the DME swapped, not the engine?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KwS said:

How does it even get that? Surely thats just the VIN on the DME, so it could have had the DME swapped, not the engine?

Yeah uhm, I haven't thought about that possibility. So the millage in the DME should be different. Where can I find the VIN on the engine? carjam says it is covered.

A little off topic (apologies) but I have some questions about Carly. Did you source the dingle from their site, or is it a generic obd2 dongle? Has it been worth the money? 

8 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

A little off topic (apologies) but I have some questions about Carly. Did you source the dingle from their site, or is it a generic obd2 dongle? Has it been worth the money? 

I can answer that :) The genuine carly one is definitely different hardware than a generic OBD2 BT adapter, its much faster etc. I wouldnt want to try code a DME with an ebay special, seems risky.

Your welcome to borrow mine and have a play if you want. Its definitely not cheap, particularly with the price of the app, and once youve coded what you want it becomes a little redundant ( other than having torque update slightly faster! ) 

• Thanks 1

My dongle is also a Carly gen 2 one. Maybe I just pay the app for one year (it is a subscription), because if I have done my battery, I almost have no use for it. I tried to use it on my 2000 Z3, doesn't work at all. And I can't use it for our E91 325i LCI FRM module, because I got the warning from the app that I would brick it. 

Google for this: "Carly has found severe faults in your FRM and has therefore NOT coded your FRM"

• Like 1

I've successfully used my Carly on F06, F11, E90 (pre-LCI), E92 M3 (LCI), E93 (pre-LCI).

Bimmercode is also handy and allows you to do advanced coding and not only a certain list of coding options (kind of like a mobile version of E-sys. Works on F-series only though. 

Is there no way to pay for the app out right maybe at an initially higher cost? Yearly subscription is a bit of a put-off and would get fairly pricey! 

18 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Is there no way to pay for the app out right maybe at an initially higher cost? Yearly subscription is a bit of a put-off and would get fairly pricey! 

It used to be a one-off fee, then earlier this year they changed to a subscription based system, not retrospectively though.

What a pain. Any other user friendly apps with hardware that aren't as pricey but have the same perks? Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and go with Carly. I suppose it's not too expensive. 

Sorry for going off topic @Species 8472

What are you trying to achieve anyway? Do not think there are any other alternatives for E-series cars.

20 hours ago, Cammsport said:

What a pain. Any other user friendly apps with hardware that aren't as pricey but have the same perks? Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and go with Carly. I suppose it's not too expensive. 

Sorry for going off topic @Species 8472

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carly-for-BMW-Pro-28-60-Full-App-Android-08-2018-Carly-for-VAG-11-21-2018/253916647793?hash=item3b1e9c9171:g:EGIAAOSwbzNbHaGf

I bought that recently and used it with a k dcan cable to code my 135i from my phone. Was $10. Worked great, just got to follow the instructions they send

Albanian pirated android apps :D

@sobanoodle just want to be able fiddle with some of the settings on my E91. Would also like to pull engine fault codes from my OBD2 E36 & E91. Also register batteries (that I'll need to do on my friends e90). 

@Navin I might flick you a PM so I don't clog this thread. 

1 hour ago, Navin said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carly-for-BMW-Pro-28-60-Full-App-Android-08-2018-Carly-for-VAG-11-21-2018/253916647793?hash=item3b1e9c9171:g:EGIAAOSwbzNbHaGf

I bought that recently and used it with a k dcan cable to code my 135i from my phone. Was $10. Worked great, just got to follow the instructions they send

Might as well just google one for free :D 

Just now, sobanoodle said:

Might as well just google one for free :D 

Yeah i just came across it one day while scrolling through ebay (was actually $7nzd at the time lol) and thought i'd give it a go for the heck of it. It's just an older version of Carly that they send you with instructions. 

20 hours ago, Cammsport said:

@sobanoodle just want to be able fiddle with some of the settings on my E91. Would also like to pull engine fault codes from my OBD2 E36 & E91. Also register batteries (that I'll need to do on my friends e90). 

Carly is useless for my E36 Z3. It can't reach the modules. For the Z3 I have the Creator C110+ Scanner Engine Diagnostic Airbag ABS Fault Code Scan Tool Fit BMW from ebay for NZ$88.

I asked 2 garages for a battery quote with registering. They both said it would cost just under $500. 

So I decided to buy the Carly app and dongle. The app was US$89.99 (NZ136.74) and the dongle was Euro44.99 (NZD217) The battery, a Century DIN74ZLMF UHP 730CCA 80AH, I got for $271 at Supercheapauto (with a hefty discount). Total NZ486. Similar as the quote, but now I have the app plus dongle and battery. I have registered the battery this morning. To be on the safe side, I hooked up a parallel battery under the hood to keep power on my FRM module. I just don't want to go through the hassle of changing out the FRM module and program it. 

I will try the carly Ebay app next time if I let my subscription end.