Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

N52 starter - Sorted

Friends e90 323i has a no start condition. Starts were getting slower and slower over the past 6 months. Now there's no crank, stereo and accessories all work fine, battery reads ~12.7v. No IBS. 

So next on the list of fault finding will be the starter. Looking for a starter found on the N43, N51, N52, N53 and N54. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=VB56-EUR-05-2006-E90-BMW-323i&mg=12&sg=25&diagId=12_1161&q=12412354701

Edited by Cammsport

12.7v? Are you sure thats enough? Even a little bit off will result in no start. Isn’t 13.8 where you should be?

12.8v at rest is fully charged. 13.7 is either surface charge (if not running) or charging voltage, although that will climb over 14v

Even if fully charged, the battery still requires testing to confirm good or bad.

• Like 1

We've also tried another new battery, still had no crank. What would be a recommended battery? OEM? Or something of the same size will do? 

Don't need OEM (Varta) although they are the best battery out there.

Just one the same size - DIN 63/66/92 - whatever it has. AA or Hella Endurent batteries are probably the next best to OEM.

You still need to diagnose that the starter is infact faulty though. Does sound like it though - I have been there with these at work before. Plenum needs removing to access the starter.

Yea we were gunna start with the starter. Was just wondering about the battery and I'll see what he got. 

Struggling to find a suitable 2nd hand starter at the moment. 

I have a crashed E91 325i wagon that I am going to hand off to brent in the next few days if that helps. all engine bits intact and actually has a 1 year old new battery in it

I would suggest fixing yours or putting a new unit on. A pain to change it only to have it fail in six- 12 months.

• Like 1

Fortunately the diagnosis was correct! Finally got around to changing my mates starter. Started straight away. Thanks everyone for your help. 

20181026_161715.thumb.jpg.ba801c3f30184564c2b6c0ef381eacbe.jpg