E30 325i Rag-Top

The first-ever BMW X7.

Media release

17 October 2018

The first-ever BMW X7.

BMW has pulled back the covers on a new definition of automotive luxury. The BMW X7 blends lavish presence, exclusivity and spaciousness with the versatile and agile driving properties customers would expect from a Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV). The latest and largest model in the BMW X line-up uses its outstanding powertrain and chassis technology, plus generous levels of space in each of its three rows of seats, a luxurious ambience and advanced equipment features, to deliver an unparalleled driving and interior experience. BMW’s new design language brings the modern elegance characteristic of the brand’s luxury-segment models to the exterior of the BMW X7, and adds visual poise, assurance and an overriding sense of authority.

Adding the BMW X7 to its portfolio forms part of the BMW Group’s ongoing model offensive in the luxury segment, which is itself a key element in the company’s NUMBER ONE > NEXT strategy. The X7 will be built at BMW Plant Spartanburg in the US, and its market launch will begin in March 2019.

A new measure of authority, luxury and modernity.

At 5,151 millimetres in length, 2,000 millimetres wide and 1,805 millimetres tall, and with a wheelbase of 3,105 millimetres, the BMW X7 displays harmonious proportions and establishes itself very clearly as the new head of the BMW X model family. The new design language, dominated by precise lines and expansive surfaces, intensifies the car’s authoritative aura. The prominent front end, with its exceptionally large BMW kidney grille, gives the car an undeniable sense of presence.

The car’s defining features when viewed from the side are its large windows, high ground clearance and long roofline.  Horizontal lines, slim LED lights and the two-section split tailgate emphasise the contemporary styling of the rear end.

The interior: More space for an exclusive ambience.

The impressive open expanses of the BMW X7 interior bring a fresh sensation of space to the luxury segment. The three rows of seats treat the driver and passengers to an exceptional feeling of roominess within the X7’s elegantly appointed surrounds.

The two passengers in the third row settle into full-size seats complete with armrests, cupholders and USB ports. The middle row can be composed of two individual comfort seats as an option. All seats are adjusted electrically at the push of a button. The boot capacity can be increased from 326 to a maximum of 2,120 litres, as required.

Carefully selected and meticulously crafted materials add to the feeling of luxury, as does the extensive standard specification. The BMW X7 comes as standard with Vernasca leather trim, four-zone automatic climate control, a three-section panoramic glass roof, and ambient lighting including the Welcome Light Carpet and Dynamic Interior Light. Among the highlights on the options list are five-zone automatic climate control, the Ambient Air package, the Panorama glass roof Sky Lounge, controls with glass applications, the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System and the Rear-seat entertainment Professional system. Meanwhile, the Design Pure Excellence equipment line, M Sport package and BMW Individual options allow customers to tailor the interior and exterior design to reflect their personal style.

Powertrain and driving experience: First-class comfort meets versatile performance.

With its powerful engines, BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system and newly developed, precisely tuned chassis technology, the BMW X7 boasts a blend of dynamism, poise and versatility that is unrivalled in the luxury segment. The largest representative of the BMW X family sticks to the proven formula of off-road prowess combined with excellent ride comfort and agile on-road handling for which the brand’s Sports Activity Vehicles are renowned.

The line-up of engines available at launch comprises a newly developed petrol V8 in the BMW X7 xDrive50i, a six-cylinder in-line petrol unit for the BMW X7 xDrive40i and a pair of six-cylinder in-line diesels to power the BMW X7 xDrive30d and BMW X7 M50d M Performance model. The BMW TwinPower Turbo technology for the petrol engines comprises turbocharging, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable camshaft control. On the diesel side, the raft of technological measures includes turbochargers and common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors. All the engines channel their power via an eight- speed Steptronic transmission.

Perfectly tuned chassis systems enhance comfort, agility and off- road performance.

The BMW X7 boasts a wealth of chassis technology as standard, including Adaptive suspension with electronically controlled dampers, and air springs at both axles. The vehicle’s ground clearance can be varied by up to 80 millimetres to suit the situation at hand – by either pressing a button or using the BMW Display Key.

An Off- Road package is also available for all model variants aside from the BMW X7 M50d. This package includes an extra button for choosing between four driving modes – xSand, xGravel, xRocks and xSnow. These modes prepare the car for the surface in question by activating the ideal settings for ride height, the xDrive system, accelerator and transmission responses, and DSC inputs.

Highly sophisticated driver assistance systems enhance comfort and safety.

The progressive luxury epitomised by the new BMW X7 is further underlined by the comprehensive, market-specific array of driver assistance systems available for enhancing comfort and safety. These cutting-edge systems process camera images together with the data gathered by radar sensors, and are able to help drivers extremely effectively in a variety of situations. They ease the driver’s workload in monotonous driving conditions, such as traffic jams and heavy flowing traffic, and make it easier to stay in complete control in awkward traffic situations. In a nutshell, these systems mark the latest advances on the road to automated driving.

As well as the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, customers can also opt for the Driving Assistant Professional package comprising the Steering and lane control assistant, Lane Change Warning and Lane Departure Warning, the Lane Change Assistant, the Lane Keeping Assistant with side collision protection, the evasion aid and Crossing traffic warning. The standard Parking Assistant’s range of functions includes the Reversing Assistant.

Live Cockpit Professional with BMW Operating System 7.0 as standard.

The BMW Live Cockpit Professional brings BMW Operating System 7.0 to the new BMW X7. The operating system’s most recent incarnation boasts all- digital displays and is geared even more closely to the driver’s personal needs – with the aim of maximising their attention levels. The system’s clear presentation and structuring are designed to provide drivers with the right information at the right time, aided further by the customisable and personalised content.

The Control Display graphics adapt depending on the operating method, the voice control system based on natural language understanding is better than ever and the optional gesture control now includes two extra gestures, bringing the total to seven. Depending on the situation, the driver can choose from the familiar iDrive Controller, the steering wheel controls, touch control, voice control or gesture control.

BMW Connected and ConnectedDrive. Digital, intelligent and totally connected.

Standard specification for the new BMW X7 includes the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, an intelligent, digital helper that responds to the prompt “Hey BMW”. From March 2019 it will be an integral element of the control and operating system / customers will be able to add it to their vehicle by Remote Software Upgrade.  The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant represents a revolution in driving pleasure from the BMW Group; it marks the start of a new era in which drivers will increasingly be able to operate their car, access its functions and obtain information simply by speaking.

Turning passengers into co-drivers.

The new BMW X7 also lets passengers in the front and rear mould the driving experience in ways they have never done before. With the driver’s consent, they are able to connect their smartphone to the car using the Connected Command function and then use it to control selected functions. This converts the passengers into co-drivers able to ease the driver’s workload by checking out the journey’s route via BMW Connected, for example, or adjusting the on-board entertainment programme and climate control settings.

Ends.

*Please note: this is an international media release without adaptions for the New Zealand market.  Final model range, specifications and pricing will be available closer to local launch.

P90326026_lowRes.jpg

P90326028_lowRes.jpg

P90326033_lowRes.jpg

P90326038_lowRes.jpg

P90326013_lowRes.jpg

P90326018_lowRes.jpg

P90326029_lowRes.jpg

P90326043_lowRes.jpg

P90326024_lowRes.jpg

Flame suit on... The styling is a little bit challenging!

• Haha 2

That grill is huge.

14 minutes ago, zero said:

That grill is huge.

1.3m².

Looks even bigger than when I posted pre-release pics in July! (http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/60233-x7/)

Adding the BMW X7 to its portfolio forms part of the BMW Group’s ongoing model offensive in the luxury segment

Offensive...           yes. 

Holy crap that is one giant ugly remuera tractor! 

I understand why they're expand the range to endless limits....

But I really miss the good old BMW days of just the 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 series cars. 

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Michael. said:

I understand why the expand the range to endless limits.

But I really miss the good old BMW days of just the 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 series cars. 

The 3 German manufacturers - and others - are all doing this now. A body style for every model in the range, so there's coupes, saloons, wagons, 4wd wagons, SUVs, convertibles, convertible SUVs and more for every model.

Way too much dilution in my opinion, but the marketing people will love it!

It's not so much the marketing people - imagine all the different images and campaigns and assets you need to market all this variety, more the accountants that love all this stuff. It is all about volume, there is a critical mass that any car company needs to achieve in order to be able to pay for developing new models, etc. This it the reason the like of SAAB, Holden, etc. have gone to the wall (amongst a few others) they did not have enough volume to keep going.

The engineering challenge is then to make all these different models with as few parts as possible, and as much commonality, but still maintaining an individual character in each car. Easy!

Then some poor bugger has got to try and explain to Joe Public what the differences are between each model to try and get them to buy one.

I very much like the latest 3/5/7 series designs. I do not like this. 

It looks like bmw decided to beat the chinese manufacturers to the punch and make their own ugly clone of what an x7 should have looked like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just found this.
Hopefully it's a parody!

Image may contain: car and outdoor

• Haha 3

Parody??? In what way???

Doesn't look any different to me...

😛

• Haha 1

"Turning passengers into co-drivers.

The new BMW X7 also lets passengers in the front and rear mould the driving experience in ways they have never done before. "

Just what i f#*!ken need!

• Haha 2

Ugh. I live far too close to Remuera.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Ugh. I live far too close to Remuera.

I think that's the most first world problem I have ever heard!! 😉 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, gjm said:

1.3m².

Looks even bigger than when I posted pre-release pics in July! (http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/60233-x7/)

Having just seen the new X5 grilles in their physical form, I now have a better feel for how large the grilles are on this model!

Small children and animals, or micro cars, could easily get sucked into them and you would never know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This page is full of too much comedy. :lol:

Of course, the X7 is already too small.
Audi have the Q8, to be released shortly:

q8.thumb.jpg.3632407cc29a66893f5b08fe389fe77c.jpg

Not sure if it beats the X7 for grille size, but it has to be close.

The grille size is obviously important to the bean counters.

Or maybe it is rim size? The Q8 can come with 23" - yes, 23" - rims as standard.

Edited by gjm

34 minutes ago, gjm said:

Or maybe it is rim size? The Q8 can come with 23" - yes, 23" - rims as standard.

Pfffftt... "Our" (Mum and Dads) old Ford has 21"s as standard. And it's 90 years old next April.

Are Audi playing catchup??? :lol:

44655577754_8e82d0fc62.jpg

The radiator (there is no "grille") may even be bigger than ONE of the X7 grilles... if thats possible :P

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It's not so much the marketing people - imagine all the different images and campaigns and assets you need to market all this variety, more the accountants that love all this stuff. It is all about volume, there is a critical mass that any car company needs to achieve in order to be able to pay for developing new models, etc. This it the reason the like of SAAB, Holden, etc. have gone to the wall (amongst a few others) they did not have enough volume to keep going.

The engineering challenge is then to make all these different models with as few parts as possible, and as much commonality, but still maintaining an individual character in each car. Easy!

Then some poor bugger has got to try and explain to Joe Public what the differences are between each model to try and get them to buy one.

Yep that all make sense - Market share of every variant to be viable. Understand that,

That said, doesn't mean they need to come up with an ugly ducking of every model. They are becoming downright ugly, the grill on this takes the cake!

Obviously i am not the only one that thinks they have gone astray with this.

The Audi above is much more scaled, as are most of their vehicles. 

Guess BMW are not bothered what i care since i am not in the market for one of their new cars. Can't say i would be either even if given the chance.

• Like 2

When the big boss came over from Germany a year or so ago and spoke about the new design language, there had been some feedback that the current (at the time) generation styling was too "conservative" and not "challenging" enough, and that the design team had been asked to create a more "edgy" design language.

The only problem with making the look more radical is that it can easily become too challenging for some, or many or even most if you get it really wrong.

Words used to describe the X7 were things like "imposing" and "road presence" which the massive grilles would help to create. If you saw those things coming up in your rear view mirror you would get the hell out of the way, quickly, before you got swallowed up!!

Your last point is a very good one though Hotwire, if your brand deviates too far from it's traditions and heritage does it start to loose some of it's image and value?

• Like 2

I think there must be a cold bead of sweat forming on the brow of many senior designers about now.  They must have realised that the design language of ‘eyes squintier mouth bigger and add angles’ will soon run out. The next gen will just have a very wide ‘V’ for headlights because the rest of the front will be grill and vent, then there is no plan. 

We are allmost at ’peak’ grill, once we go beyond 1.5m3 i think it will be too late to reverse. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Words used to describe the X7 were things like "imposing" and "road presence" which the massive grilles would help to create. If you saw those things coming up in your rear view mirror you would get the hell out of the way, quickly, before you got swallowed up!!

Getting out of the way may be one reaction... I doubt we'd struggle to guess what the driver of a car seeing one of these in the rear view mirror will be thinking or saying! ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, andrewm said:

We are allmost at ’peak’ grill, once we go beyond 1.5m3 i think it will be too late to reverse. 

There may still be a way forwards, I think Lexus have decided to make the whole of the front one big grille and forget about all the other things that are supposed to go on the front of the vehicle..?2018_lexus_lx-570_4dr-suv_two-row_fq_oem_1_600.jpg

These LX things are immense in size, but look tiny in photos due to the perspective with that front..

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There may still be a way forwards, I think Lexus have decided to make the whole of the front one big grille and forget about all the other things that are supposed to go on the front of the vehicle..?2018_lexus_lx-570_4dr-suv_two-row_fq_oem_1_600.jpg

These LX things are immense in size, but look tiny in photos due to the perspective with that front..

You’ve cracked it- if the headlights can go on the wing mirrors we get another 5 years of design. 

• Haha 1

How much did they pay MB for the GL body, so they could stick that ridiculous grill on it?