Sign in to follow this  
HamishE36

WTB E36 328i Manual Gearbox

After a recent track day at Manfeild, the gearbox in my M52 swapped 318ti has become more than a little noisy. The input and front cluster bearings both have a fair whine to them now, so I'm on the lookout for someone selling a replacement ZF 5S-310D gearbox in reasonable condition. If you know of one or someone who might be willing to sell one, if you could point them in my direction that would be greatly appreciated. I'm based in Wellington, but will pay for freight from wherever you might be.

Thanks,

Hamish

Thought about getting the existing one rebuilt? Then you’ll have a nice fresh gearbox rather than another gearbox of presumably unknown provenance

Edited by eliongater
Wrong word...
  • Like 1

Yes, I've had some rough budget prices back, and I'd be lucky to get any change from $1200 for a basic rebuild. If there's wear on the input shaft or synchros or god forbid the gears themselves, that's going to blow out considerably.

It's not as if the current gearbox is exactly of known provenance, but a rebuild is something I'm keeping in mind (do it right and do it once). It has always had a very faint whine in 2nd gear, but is now far less faint and not restricted to 2nd any more either.

5 hours ago, eliongater said:

Thought about getting the existing one rebuilt? Then you’ll have a nice fresh gearbox rather than another gearbox of presumably unknown providence 

I went to Providence in the late 90’s, Rhode Island in the fall is something to behold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On closer inspection, the gearbox in the car looks to be a Getrag 250, so no surprises that giving it death on the track has given it death. Guess I'll be looking to do the complete conversion to the ZF box, including driveshafts.

I have a few full E46 conversion kits with ZF gearboxes and Wellington based.   From an E46 328 .   There is another kit with a Getrag gearbox from an E46 325.  Might be worth a trip to Ngauranga to have a chat

Edited by FIAT 131R
  • Like 2