Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Import tax

Govt has announced the following today. What is interesting is that there is no duties on goods under $1000 so in theory you can get away with not paying GST or duty on the goods if the company doesn't import much into NZ

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/107929221/taxfree-internet-shopping-to-end-next-october

So a bunch of stuff I buy will be cheaper... especially if I make my order size "suitable".

Cool.

Also will arrive faster, because it doesn't need to have a rest at customs on the way thorugh.

Cool.

How will it work with Youshop? They aren't a retailer of Goods, but a service, and are ALREADY NZ based and ALREADY charge GST for their service... So the Goods theroretically aren't required to be taxed unless they are over NZ$1000, therefore having the tax collected by customs....

3 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Wonder how much in $ fcp euro sells to nz?

Way, way more than $60k per annum based on the boxes I see at every independent and parts supplier I visit. There's $10k in FCP boxes sitting on the floor of the BMW parts guy just up the road from me. I don't know of any independents in Auckland that get their parts from BMW NZ (well they'd go out of business).

BMW NZ are really missing out on a trick with spare parts. If I can get a genuine part from Denmark or the US in less than half the time and for less than half the cost (even if you add GST) let all the old stock in NZ rot in their warehouse I say. $1000 for a radiator lolololololololololol... +GST (facepalm).

Edited by M3AN

If the supplier is required to add the gst themselves, then that will increase the cost of the goods.

Who is actually going to police the 60k-1 million per year overseas vendors? I can see that the biggest few would comply but cannot see most vendors caring at all.

Thinking about it though between ebay, amazon and alibaba thats probably >50% of sub 1k imports anyway. Not a bad haul for the no new taxes govt, will go a long way to building some real flash HNZ houses. 

• Haha 3

And if they do police it what are the sanctions? I can't find any, all they can do is hold the goods at customs and ask the receiver for GST. That will cost consumers less than the current regime (assuming we have a similar chance of any given package being intercepted). 

• Like 1

I still don't understand how lil ol' NZ expects to have *every* vendor outside of NZ, selling to a Kiwi-based person or company,  collect tax for NZ!

Certainly going to be interesting on how it will work & be policed.

That said, I don't have a problem on paying GST, what has really pissed me is (unless flying under the radar) $399 has cost just that. $401 (if picked) has cost about $520 ish - with the other associated costs added. So it will now cost $461 - as it should.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

And if they do police it what are the sanctions? I can't find any, all they can do is hold the goods at customs and ask the receiver for GST. That will cost consumers less than the current regime (assuming we have a similar chance of any given package being intercepted). 

It wont cost us less for orders under $400 though.

I wonder if there is a danger of companies like FCP Euro / Pelican / Schmiedmann deciding not to send goods to NZ due to the new requirement as the relativity of our market is just not worth the admin?  It could be a big step backwards...?

3 hours ago, hqstu said:

I wonder if there is a danger of companies like FCP Euro / Pelican / Schmiedmann deciding not to send goods to NZ due to the new requirement as the relativity of our market is just not worth the admin?  It could be a big step backwards...?

I think there is a very real chance that is what will happen. NZ could find itself off the edge of the world as far as small business international trade is concerned.
Which will leave the door open to the bigger companies to bring in container loads of items, and charge a fortune for them.

• Sad 1

Who is going to enforce it? China DGAF ;)

Hmmm.

So say you guys buy $999NZD of goods and shipping at a time from Driftit No.1 Ltd based here in the US.

I get supplied from FCP or similar.

Once I reach 60K I start up Driftit No.2 Ltd and so on.

No GST?

Oh and it will be based in Delaware which has no local sales tax either.

Actually I think I want to call the company 'NONZGSTLOL Ltd'

Edited by Driftit
Reasons
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Im confused. 

So second hand car parts like engine computers worth 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 etc will all be taxed 15% on import now?

How the hell do they expect to police that, they'd have weeks of backlogged packages trying to get things through if held at customs depos

Besides the letter customs sends to take your money (usually takes 7 days) is a complete joke, should be done within minutes or hours via email or text message if they want to be in the game of '21st century marketplace' practices. 

Edited by Michael.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:47 AM, hqstu said:

Amazon did it to Australia when Australia recently bought in a similar scheme.

Labour want to tax us into 3rd world poverty... Reason for all the tax on petrol is to faze New Zealander's out of their cars and all catching the bus and stuck in the 5G kill grid.☠️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Done363 said:

Labour want to tax us into 3rd world poverty... Reason for all the tax on petrol is to faze New Zealander's out of their cars and all catching the bus and stuck in the 5G kill grid.☠️

Sounds more than a little conspiracy theory to me!

19 hours ago, Done363 said:

Sorry you can't catch the bus as they are on strike..  Not kidding.

But this Tax was always coming.  National thought it up.  But Labour rushed it through.

58 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Sorry you can't catch the bus as they are on strike..  Not kidding.

But this Tax was always coming.  National thought it up.  But Labour rushed it through.

Only difference between the two is Labour campaigned on no new taxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

And National 'ran out of time to present it to the people before the election'. ;)

They really are as bad as each other. Little by way of redeeming features.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zero said:

Is GST new or something? 

1 hour ago, huff3r said:

Is GST new or something? 

Not a new tax if you just increase existing taxes eh.