Sign in to follow this  
KwS

The SchnellWagon - E91 335i

Picked this up from Hamilton the other day, and it's great to be back in a BMW again.

IMG_2244.jpg?w=1280&ssl=1

Obviously its a pre-LCI 2006 E91 335i with Motorsport spec. So fast, so comfortable and so damn nice to drive. Im smitten!

She isn't exactly stock,

Externally it’s mostly stock, with just aftermarket grilles on the front, tinted reverse lights, carbon wrap on the rear bumper and painted exhaust tips. Under the hood, it’s a bit more special….

Its had fitted,
Rob Beck 2″ silicone intake pipes
3″ catless downpipes
AMS intercooler
BMS catch can
Uprated low pressure fuel pump
MHD OTS Stage 2+ tune
xHP Stage 3 transmission flash
Quaife ATB mechanical LSD

It also came with some extra parts, like a pair of K&N pod filters and fitting kit, and a charge pipe with a blow off valve on it. I’ll be playing with these later.

Heaps of common issues have been sorted, including a pair of brand new turbos, new injectors, new coils, new HPFP,  and various other bits.

Needless to say it pulls like a damn freight train, and will overcome the traction control if you aren’t careful. The LSD makes the rear just push hard, and if it does get a bit lairy its a nice progressive slip. Previous owner claims about 380hp ATW, and the car has done high 12s on the 1/4 Mile.

The other side to it though, is that it’s a nice, quiet and comfortable cruiser. It’s a pleasure to drive around in, knowing that if you have to whip past someone, all you need to do is give that pedal a push. Love the cruise control with braking too, just a shame it doesn’t have the full “active” cruise control, although it can be retrofitted.

There probably won’t be too many updates on this car, as I intend for it just to be a nice regular driver, taking it on trips and things.

IMG_2247.jpg?w=1280&ssl=1

IMG_2254.jpg?w=1280&ssl=1

874096131.jpg?ssl=1

43242471_317731705444972_153261070536094

• Like 4

Its pretty well loaded too, especially for a Jap import

L807A National version japan
P337A M Sports package
S205A Automatic transmission
S217A Active steering
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
S2MFA BMW alloy wheel, M spider spoke 193
S313A Fold-in outside mirror
S321A Exterior parts in vehicle color
S322A Comfort access
S354A Green windscreen, green shade band
S386A Roof railing
S417A Roller sun vizor, rear door
S423A Floor mats, velours
S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S449A Interior toll mirror for Japan
S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S481A Sports seat
S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S493A Storage compartment package
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S4ABA Fine wood trim burr walnut
S4AEA Armrest front, retractable
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S520A Fog lights
S521A Rain sensor
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S544A Cruise control with brake function

S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
S563A Light package
S5ABA Two-stage stoplamp discontinued
S601A TV function
S609A Navigation system Professional
S640A Preparation f tel.installation universal
S672A CD changer for 6 CDs
S676A HiFi speaker system
S704A M Sports suspension
S710A M leather steering wheel
S715A M Aerodynamics package
S760A High gloss shadow line
S775A Headlining anthracite
S818A Battery master switch
S823A Hot-climate version
S845A Acoustic belt warning
S852A Language version Japanese
S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz
S8S3A Automatic locking when driving off
S8SPA Control unit COP
S925A Dummy-SALAPA
S992A Control of number-plate attachment
S9AAA Outer skin protection

• Like 1

LSD is such a massive benefit on these. That alone would've sold me on the car. Great buy?

• Like 1

Great looking wagon.  I am very smitten with my e92 n54 and it’s completely stock. Yours must be a blast!

13 minutes ago, str8_6 said:

Great looking wagon.  I am very smitten with my e92 n54 and it’s completely stock. Yours must be a blast!

Its stupid fast really. I need to buy MHD so i can tweak the map options and turn on the power/boost by gear function, and limit power in first gear. Sucks MHD is both vin and account locked, so cant be transferred.

needs some better offset/wider wheels especially in the rear!

(take my 2p BBS RS-GT :))

I'd say it's pretty damn ideal to get one with those mods and new turbos + HPFP ect. A good buy for sure!

• Like 1

One thing that has bothered me since getting the car was that the transmission always shifted harshly and a bit weird. I put this down to either the trans needing to be serviced, or the xHP Stage 3 tune (I have no "stock" benchmark). Today i tried something that is a bit controversial online; the trans (or throttle) adaptions reset.

Get in, engine off. Turn ignition to ON (idiot lights on), and press the throttle to the floor for 30 seconds. Release throttle, Switch off ignition completely. Now start the car and it should be reset.

After doing this, the trans is behaving a hell of a lot better. D mode is now smooth (had some noticeable "issues" before, that could be easily replicated), and Sport mode isnt jerky anymore. I need to drive the car a few more times, but im almost positive its well improved.

• Like 1

I think in rare cases the adaptations can be out of whack if the car was taken out of normal use for an extended time, maybe if the car was stored or at a dealer for a long time without being driven properly? My DCT was strange when I first got it, it had just been shipped from japan when I bought it, a DME update sorted it but they may have done an adaptation reset. My boss had a similar experience with a 235i auto. 

Some people probably just resort to it unnecessarily which might do more harm than good. The adaptations are for adapting to wear, there isn't some mystical driver behaviour based learning as people, that's some silly rumour that some people persist on spreading on BMW boards. So resetting that when it isn't necessary could make the transmission perform badly until it re-adapts. 

I've seen that the XHP software can actually show you the adaptation values. The XHP dev refuses to add adaptation reset as a feature to the app because he thinks people will use it unnecessarily. 

Edited by Matth5

I need to get the xHP and MHD software and see what i can do.

Im not sure the recent use of the car, but it was a second car recently due to him having a replacement already, so maybe its possible it sat for a bit, but when it was driven he drove it hard. I know for sure some other cars/autos learn driving behaviour, and was under the impression BMW did this too, but maybe it is a myth, who knows.

I did read there is a way in INPA to properly reset the adaptions for the trans, but is only meant to be used after a trans service or when the fluid level changes, but people early on were playing with it and cocking things up, so no wonder they dont want to add it to xHP.

You can transfer XHP/MHD licenses from the previous owner if you contact their support

On 10/18/2018 at 9:54 PM, KwS said:

Uprated low pressure fuel pump

Sweet so its setup to run ethanol maps :D, you'll realize how "slow"the 98 maps feel

It is, and the previous owner has had a play with an E60 blend in the past, but we dont have ethanol on tap down here, so 98 is fine for me (even then, im on a 95 map currently, to be safe)

Will contact MHD and XHP, would really like the licenses for this car

Have emailed MHD and xHP. Im not holding my breath that they will transfer a license, but at least if one can, i only have to pay for the other. There are a few things i really want to change on both, like Linear throttle, and even changing the tunes from stage2+ (which i think is just too much power for the street) or TCU Stage 3 (which is too harsh for the street) to something less.

Im finding the car quite hard to drive smoothly from a stop or low speed when there is anything resembling boost, as the trans just goes into smashing gears mode, and the power comes on like a freight train and gets pretty hairy. The dead feeling throttle pedal doesnt help either. Its easy to crawl away slowly in D, but if you have it in sport mode and try to take off nicely its kinda all or nothing. I could almost live with driving mostly in Sport mode, if the trans was just a bit softer at low-mid throttle, and the rev matching wasnt so jerky when slowing down. Its very aggressive. We'll see what happens.

In the mean time, I installed the DCI that came with the car. Now i have whooshy noises and chooooos when i let off throttle.
bgOK2Y7.jpg

Edited by KwS

Well thats that, both xHP and MHD have come back with the generic "this is what our manuals say, so no, you cant transfer licenses". Not sure I want to spend the money to see if it fixes what i dont like about the car, or not.

Did a drain and fill on the trans today. I suspect that its probably never been done (in 159,000km) looking at the state of the "lifetime" fluid that came out.

NEV17hN.jpg

Already driving much better. The trans has always been a sore point for me since getting the car as its shifted really rubbish, but its getting better the more I drive it. I also have a new pan/filter, bolts and a couple of seal things on the way to see if it will help even further. Todays drain and fill was just to help clean out the old fluid, so ill drop and replace that when the parts arrive.

Edited by KwS
  • Like 2

Looks pretty typical but you picked a good time to do it anyway

that's how we did the XF 6 speed in my e60, drain and fill, drive for a week or two, then do the dry fill/filter change/mechatronics sleeve etc.  Made plenty of difference.

Enjoying your project journey, Kelvin!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

that's how we did the XF 6 speed in my e60, drain and fill, drive for a week or two, then do the dry fill/filter change/mechatronics sleeve etc.  Made plenty of difference.

Enjoying your project journey, Kelvin!

Your original post about it is what made me decide to do it in two steps, instead of just dropping the pan straight away, so, thanks!

• Thanks 1

Well, it didnt even last a month before shitting the bed. Hesitates when cold with a rough idle, and if you hit boost it deactivates a cylinder and logs a code (29DC - DME: Cylinder Injection Cutout and a shadow code for 2AAF - DME: Fuel Pump, Plausibility). Suspect HPFP.

#N54FTW

Edit: Actually, looking at logs, it could be my LPFP failing. Seeing as low as 30psi under boost, and its strangling the HPFP. Will swap it back to the stock one tomorrow and see what happens.

Edited by KwS
  • Sad 1

Quick update, it was the LPFP. The previous owner fitted an AEM pump to the factory mount, but the pump had slipped in its mount (despite zip ties) so was blocking the inlet of the pump, and the hose connected to the venturi in the bottom of the bucket had come off. Reverted to a bodged together standard pump and everything is back to normal, if not better than before. No codes and pressure is bang on in the logs (about 80-90psi vs 30psi under load). I have a replacement unmodified stock pump to drop in when i get time as i dont like relying on zip ties.

I also dropped the trans pan, and valve body and replaced the bridge and tube seals. Not a hard job, just messy and time consuming. Trans seems to shift a lot better now, but should get even better as the reset adaptations learn the new fluid/seals. 7.5l of fluid went in, so should be the majority of the fluid changed (and did the 4l drain and fill 300km ago).
tjcjLts.jpg
5cfXmMx.jpg
pUOSh8r.jpg
8BXLv9O.jpg

Edited by KwS
  • Like 3

Drove some more tonight, and so far i can tell that before the work on the weekend the trans was still average when cold but much better warm. Now the trans is about as good as it was when warm, cold, and pretty bloody good warm now.

Manual mode is snappy, with minimal lag between changes, and no lurching. D mode is smooth as butter and doest flare between gears anymore.

A+ result, highly recommend.

• Like 3