lbo99

Anyone know where to import E46 M3?

2 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Fairly certain non of those cars above are EU4 standards so you won’t even be able to import and register them.

EU4 didn’t happen till March 2005 for the E46 M3 and that was LHD variants. I need to check but I believe EU4 did not happen for RHD till May 2005.

Possibly not relevant, but some VW models that were already EU4 for most of the world, were still produced in EU2 variants for S.A. and some other markets, like eastern europe and UAE etc. Potentially could apply to BMW models too, so it does pay to be very careful!

2 hours ago, Allanw said:

Possibly not relevant, but some VW models that were already EU4 for most of the world, were still produced in EU2 variants for S.A. and some other markets, like eastern europe and UAE etc. Potentially could apply to BMW models too, so it does pay to be very careful!

Very possible as the E46 M3 came with no EOBD compliant tunes 

21 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Fairly certain non of those cars above are EU4 standards so you won’t even be able to import and register them.

EU4 didn’t happen till March 2005 for the E46 M3 and that was LHD variants. I need to check but I believe EU4 did not happen for RHD till May 2005.

pardon my ignorance , but what is/does EU4 mean

Euro 4 emissions standard, now up to 6?

E46s will meet the frontal impact rules it seems as it has dual airbags and traction control, however I highly doubt many would meet emission standard required for import. At least not euro variants. US versions would as it had LEV standards from quite early on but being left hand drive it won’t meet the rules either.

I just double checked and EU4 did not happen for Euro spec E46 M3s till late June 2005. I can’t imagine too many of those being made at all.

M3 CSLs would be easier to import and register under the SIV rules than a standard E46 M3 in my opinion.

Edited by M3_Power

Does the rule not have a provision for cars that are the "same" as ones sold locally brand new? If not that seems crazy.

• Like 1

Are you referring to the import / compliance rules or the SIV rules?

Not special vehicles, for example a standard e46 M3 with the same spec that was available new in NZ... 

22 hours ago, Allanw said:

Yes, there are many variants of BMW produced with lower levels of emission controls for certain markets. These will always show the EU emissions level on the options list, for example EU5 is option 161.

From memory I have seen EU2 on a couple of M3s I checked out.

The controls and equipment to meet the emissions cost money to include on the cars, so nearly all makers have lower EU level versions for countries that don't demand it.

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Not special vehicles, for example a standard e46 M3 with the same spec that was available new in NZ... 

Doesn't affect the import laws. The logic being that cars coming into the country should be cleaner than those already here. Even though you can buy a used NZ new EU3 E46, it has to be EU4 to bring it in as an import.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 1:19 AM, lbo99 said:

Anyone know where I can import a E46 M3? Preferably a manual coupe with sunroof.
Is it worth it to import one? Feel free to provide your opinion, cheers :)

lbo99, have you had a look at any of the E46 M3's that have popped up for sale?

This one seems nice: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1833187514

1 hour ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

lbo99, have you had a look at any of the E46 M3's that have popped up for sale?

This one seems nice: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1833187514

Bit cheeky saying it's had full suspension work done when all it's had is a ball joint and lower arm. I'd be very wary of it at that price, especially since bearings and subframe aren't done. 

3 hours ago, KwS said:

Bit cheeky saying it's had full suspension work done when all it's had is a ball joint and lower arm. 

Yep, a bit of a red flag there