Sign in to follow this  
lbo99

Anyone know where to import E46 M3?

2 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Fairly certain non of those cars above are EU4 standards so you won’t even be able to import and register them.

EU4 didn’t happen till March 2005 for the E46 M3 and that was LHD variants. I need to check but I believe EU4 did not happen for RHD till May 2005.

Possibly not relevant, but some VW models that were already EU4 for most of the world, were still produced in EU2 variants for S.A. and some other markets, like eastern europe and UAE etc. Potentially could apply to BMW models too, so it does pay to be very careful!

2 hours ago, Allanw said:

Possibly not relevant, but some VW models that were already EU4 for most of the world, were still produced in EU2 variants for S.A. and some other markets, like eastern europe and UAE etc. Potentially could apply to BMW models too, so it does pay to be very careful!

Very possible as the E46 M3 came with no EOBD compliant tunes 

21 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Fairly certain non of those cars above are EU4 standards so you won’t even be able to import and register them.

EU4 didn’t happen till March 2005 for the E46 M3 and that was LHD variants. I need to check but I believe EU4 did not happen for RHD till May 2005.

pardon my ignorance , but what is/does EU4 mean

Euro 4 emissions standard, now up to 6?

E46s will meet the frontal impact rules it seems as it has dual airbags and traction control, however I highly doubt many would meet emission standard required for import. At least not euro variants. US versions would as it had LEV standards from quite early on but being left hand drive it won’t meet the rules either.

I just double checked and EU4 did not happen for Euro spec E46 M3s till late June 2005. I can’t imagine too many of those being made at all.

M3 CSLs would be easier to import and register under the SIV rules than a standard E46 M3 in my opinion.

Edited by M3_Power

Does the rule not have a provision for cars that are the "same" as ones sold locally brand new? If not that seems crazy.

• Like 1

Are you referring to the import / compliance rules or the SIV rules?

Not special vehicles, for example a standard e46 M3 with the same spec that was available new in NZ... 

22 hours ago, Allanw said:

Yes, there are many variants of BMW produced with lower levels of emission controls for certain markets. These will always show the EU emissions level on the options list, for example EU5 is option 161.

From memory I have seen EU2 on a couple of M3s I checked out.

The controls and equipment to meet the emissions cost money to include on the cars, so nearly all makers have lower EU level versions for countries that don't demand it.

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Not special vehicles, for example a standard e46 M3 with the same spec that was available new in NZ... 

Doesn't affect the import laws. The logic being that cars coming into the country should be cleaner than those already here. Even though you can buy a used NZ new EU3 E46, it has to be EU4 to bring it in as an import.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 1:19 AM, lbo99 said:

Anyone know where I can import a E46 M3? Preferably a manual coupe with sunroof.
Is it worth it to import one? Feel free to provide your opinion, cheers :)

lbo99, have you had a look at any of the E46 M3's that have popped up for sale?

This one seems nice: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1833187514

• Like 1

Bit cheeky saying it's had full suspension work done when all it's had is a ball joint and lower arm. I'd be very wary of it at that price, especially since bearings and subframe aren't done. 

Yep, a bit of a red flag there

Hi all - I have a related question:

I have a left hand drive 2003 E46 M3 that I would like to bring back to NZ with me next month

As it is LHD, I will have to store it until 2023 to meet the "20 year old LHD category B" exemption criteria, which is OK with me

I would also like to apply for "immigrant vehicle status" as this exempts me from the EU3 (mine) vs EU4 (what they want) issue

(I qualify according to the immigrant vehicle terms mentioned by NZTA, but have to apply within 18 months of arriving)

So my question is this:

Can I get immigrant vehicle status (within 18 months of arriving next month) , and then keep the status valid until the car is ready to be registered in 2023 as a category B LHD?

Or does the fact that the car will be 20 years old exempt me from emissions rules anyway?

You'd want to call or email NZTA and ask them direct, just to be certain. 

I wouldn’t chance that the rules won’t change in 2023 even if it meets the criteria now.

fairly sure the immigrant vehicle status doesn’t mean you can hold it for that many years till it complies. It will fail emission rules now even if it doesnt change by 2023. 

On 11/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, Kepes said:

Here's the other one! SMG, Imported in 2005 as far as I'm aware. Owned by a friend of mine - I've got dibs when it goes up for sale ;)

34363658582_f110413c59_o.jpg.941a588dc0c8b8dc1db1ba92b10323bb.jpg

I think  he’ll only part with it if he finds a 850csi that he’s after ( or gets another Volvo ?)

On 11/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, Neal said:

I think  he’ll only part with it if he finds a 850csi that he’s after ( or gets another Volvo ?)

He got another volvo, maybe that's why he no longer owns it... ? (no, I don't own it but know the current owner's son)

I have a friend that owns a dealership and we worked out the cost of importing an e46 m3 from Japan into NZ and the cost is actually quite expensive and the process is not easy as well. 

I'm actually thinking of buying this particular car that is currently for sale on trade me. Any thoughts or personal opinion towards this car? 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1859840160.htm

IMG_4278.PNG

Without trying to sound self promoting but I fail to see why any of the current crop of E46 M3s for sale is actually good value for money ... potential owners really have no concept how much these things cost to bring up to standard properly.

$30k I am asking for mine and it’s a full CSL clone and not a single interest with all the expensive hard to do items all done.

And then I get messages from all these new owners about how to fix things on the cheap because they’ve decided to buy something on trademe without doing any research.

Maybe I should start to charge for my services and advice to others ...

Ignore me just having a bad day : P

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 3

If I were in your shoes Tom I'd probably see it the same way as you so no need be concerned about 'bad' days' or 'self promotion', your comments are perfectly valid (even on a 'good day') IMHO.

Indeed if I knew somebody that purchased any other Phoenix/SMG I'd call them a fool because yours can't be overlooked for the reasons you mention.

Even though SMG is a personal preference I'm pretty surprised you've not even had a nibble... I also don't think many people appreciate the difference the CSL control makes to the SMG.

My best guess is that if you can hold on and stick to ~$30k, the market will come to you.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 8:46 PM, lbo99 said:

I'm actually thinking of buying this particular car that is currently for sale on trade me. Any thoughts or personal opinion towards this car? 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1859840160.htm

My personal opinion is that it's lusty. I'm paranoid about rust on imported cars so I would have that really thoroughly checked but if it passed that inspection (behind the wheel well liners) then I'd set my base price at $30k and negotiate down from there based on:

• Front wheels are clearly too wide or the wrong offset so need to be replaced, factor that cost in.
  • No mention of subframe repair and it will be required because of the suspension so factor that cost in.
  • No mention of VANOS seals or pump hub being fixed so factor that cost in.
  • Big end bearing are problematic and need to be inspected (minimum) and potentially replaced, factor that potential cost in.
  • Seller seems to be a dealer also, ask for it to be supplied via the dealership so you're covered by the CGA.

Given how the market is at the moment, if you want a manual one then even with the above to be considered this does look like a nice pickup (edit: if it has no rust and you can get it for ~$26k then pounce and use the saved cash for repair/preventative).

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I talked to this guy and the lowest he’ll go is 32k. I was actually going to buy this same car back in September this year but it got sold before I gathered my funds. I think it was sold around 28k at that time. I’m still thinking if I should accept his offer. I’m afraid to miss the chance to own this car twice as the same time.....

527BEAFE-9284-46A1-AEFF-F1DEE33C028C.thumb.png.fb6223ca2121346b2b8f4d0c1258cf1d.pngI’m actually very curious if the car has been in a crash before as the front turn signal lamps doesn’t match.?

Edited by lbo99
Insert photo

13 minutes ago, lbo99 said:

I talked to this guy and the lowest he’ll go is 32k. I was actually going to buy this same car back in September this year but it got sold before I gathered my funds. I think it was sold around 28k at that time. I’m still thinking if I should accept his offer. I’m afraid to miss the chance to own this car twice as the same time.....

Well, I can't tell you what to do but I don't believe it's worth $32k without the necessary fixes (see Tom's for $30k with the fixes). I'd also question how it went from $28k to $32k in 3 months and why somebody would want to flip an apparent unicorn (blue E46 M3 manual) in that timeframe?

A desperate buyer makes for a happy seller, keep that in mind!

I'd challenge his offer of $32k armed with the knowledge that you'll need to spend literally thousands more, if they won't budge then I'd walk away.

The only E46's that are truly going up in value are the ones that have been fixed and the owners of ones that haven't been fixed know this all too well and are trying to cash in on a rising market. Look at the one recently purchased by a member here... looked great and now needs multiple thousands put into it to fix the subframe less than a month after purchase... :(

• Like 1