Sign in to follow this  
fred_

BMW Diamond key replacement

Morning Bimmersport,

Both of my diamond key batteries have died so it's time for a replacement. While I'm changing this I'm keen to replace the housing given both are bashed up after 15 years of use. 

Does anyone have experience in doing this? There's a ton of kits available on Ebay but any advice on which seller / site to choose from would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Edited by leebske

what I did was just cut open the housing and replaced the battery and glued it back together.

I imagine if you buy a new housing then you just transfer the internals over with a new battery and should be all good.

Cant help with ebay recommendations though sorry.

If you go the battery replacement route make sure you get the correct battery and the treminals are at the correct angle so they slot into the holes in the circuit board. Have a look on ebay and their are complete blank keys for sale. Only need to get them cut and swap over the transponder.

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

@Gabe79 Your assistance is required, Key Guru!

Har. PM me the VIN, and a picture of the key, and I can tell you what key to get. Keys from ebay are easy and cheap. They mostly all work the same, you want to make sure you buy the right blade. Mostly the keys around are dual frequency, so that's easy enough. I haven't been following the forums here much lately. We're actually discussing selling the E39 and buying a Hyundai right now. :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, qube said:

which hyundai?

Tucson GLS 4WD 2006 or Santa Fe GL 4WD 2004. 

We suddenly find ourselves needing to drive up a dirt road once a week and the E39 can't make it around the bumps and dirt, and the Leaf is here to stay and itself isn't exactly off-road capable. :)

1 minute ago, qube said:

sell both get a kona :D

Oh man, I totally would. The electric is amazing. It's a bit out of our price range until we pay off the mortgage though. :)