Sign in to follow this  
Cale

1996 E36 - EWS II issue

So I’ve decided to make a bit of a summer project of the 1996 e36 318iS and get it back on the road after it having sat in the driveway for the better part of 12 months. Thought it would be a good opportunity to improve my limited skills now I have a little bit of time and space.

The situation as far as I can tell is that the DME is no longer sync'd with the EWS (EWS2 due to the car being 1996) due to the EWS not recognising the key transponder. I am not sure how this has happened as the two keys I have are the two keys that always worked, prior to the car sitting for ~3 months. I tried jumping the EWS2 by connecting the two large wires but have read this only bridges the starter relay, so the engine cranks but does not fire (I am guessing due to the DME still immobilising the fuel system etc.).

I have been doing a lot of research but finding the information rather confusing/conflicting. Has anyone successfully made the EWS again recognise the key's ISN and (which I don't think would be necessary) done a re-alignment of the DME and EWS? Or have a guide or knowledge on how to re-align the keys and the two units?

Could this simply be a problem with the ring antenna not reading the key transponder?

I am going to continue to research however any info / experience would be much appreciated.

If you're on a budget and don't have the ability to make a bench test right for the dme you will need the inpa/ncs/dis set up on an old PC. Easiest way is with a serial cable and an ADS interface.  

Unfortunately lots of reading is needed and relatively limited info as most people are US based with OBD2 ports 

I used to Carsoft 6.5 which could do it though its hidden away in a box somewhere i cant find.

Surely someone on here in Auckland would have what you are looking for and may help you out.

3 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

If you're on a budget and don't have the ability to make a bench test right for the dme you will need the inpa/ncs/dis set up on an old PC. Easiest way is with a serial cable and an ADS interface.  

Unfortunately lots of reading is needed and relatively limited info as most people are US based with OBD2 ports 

Thanks - you lost me with most of that. I think by the sounds of it I could do more damage than good?

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

I used to Carsoft 6.5 which could do it though its hidden away in a box somewhere i cant find.

Surely someone on here in Auckland would have what you are looking for and may help you out.

Cool - Carsoft looks like it could be an option. I see it is US$28 from AliExpress which is reasonable.

Is it fairly user friendly for a non-computer boffin? Looks like i'd have to dig out an old computer to use those cables haha.

Edited by Cale

Inpa will work over a usb to odb2 adapter, then odb2 adaptor to the round under bonnet odb port.

I use a dedicated app to sync ews, much quicker and easier.

dont try cutting and jumping wires etc, youll just end up blowing up modules etc. all its needs is 10 minutes with a scanner assuming all the parts have not failed.

bear in mind that the E36 is known for leaking around the windscreen if the plastic trim is damaged, it is not uncommon that water gets into the ECU/DME especially on manual cars that do not have a trans computer for the water to seep thru first!

10 hours ago, polley said:

Inpa will work over a usb to odb2 adapter, then odb2 adaptor to the round under bonnet odb port.

I use a dedicated app to sync ews, much quicker and easier.

Thanks - what is the dedicated app that you mention?

2 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

dont try cutting and jumping wires etc, youll just end up blowing up modules etc. all its needs is 10 minutes with a scanner assuming all the parts have not failed.

bear in mind that the E36 is known for leaking around the windscreen if the plastic trim is damaged, it is not uncommon that water gets into the ECU/DME especially on manual cars that do not have a trans computer for the water to seep thru first!

Yeah good call. I am finding that "10 minutes with a scanner" a little harder than I thought however!

I've checked the DME and it is bone dry in there, even after a good rain. 

Edited by Cale

I have the computer/software*, whereabouts in Auckland are you?

*Altough I've never done EWS alignment before it's apparently simple with DIS over ADS which is what I have.

8 hours ago, Cale said:

Thanks - what is the dedicated app that you mention?

I just checked and its only for ms41 cars, ie 6 cylinder.

16 hours ago, M3AN said:

I have the computer/software*, whereabouts in Auckland are you?

*Altough I've never done EWS alignment before it's apparently simple with DIS over ADS which is what I have.

I'm sure it's not rocket science for anyone but me..! I'm on the North Shore in Birkdale.

I wish I could help you but I am in a somewhat related situation.  I am keen to use an emulator to get an e36 M44 running in an older chassis that never had EWS, but have not been able to program my Aliexpress emulator.  I think this might be due to not using a computer with a proper serial port. 

In any case I have a spare emulator if you can figure out how to make it work by going that route, but would suggest your best best is to fix up what you have.  Info for the four cylinder Bosch ECU seems very thin on the ground.

1 hour ago, turbolizard said:

I wish I could help you but I am in a somewhat related situation.  I am keen to use an emulator to get an e36 M44 running in an older chassis that never had EWS, but have not been able to program my Aliexpress emulator.  I think this might be due to not using a computer with a proper serial port. 

In any case I have a spare emulator if you can figure out how to make it work by going that route, but would suggest your best best is to fix up what you have.  Info for the four cylinder Bosch ECU seems very thin on the ground.

Thanks Mike, I will do some reading on those emulators.

I think you're right that I might be better to try synchronising the EWS & DME again. From what I have read my options are:

• Get an old laptop with a serial port, Windows XP and try to get INPA/NCS running on it. I am oft reading that the USB K-Line connector mostly doesn't work so best to go with a K-Line RS232 Serial interface.
  • Get an old laptop with Windows XP and get INPA/NCS running on it. Take a punt on the USB K-Line interface.
  • Carsoft 6.5 - very confused as packages from aliexpress / ebay seem to vary from ~USD30 to USD700. Who knows if the cheap versions are the actual software, PA 1.4 or whatever else is out there... Will also need an old computer with COM port.

This is a lot more involved than I initially thought.

Inpa will work on a modern laptop ie windows 7,8,10 etc. And over usb too.

Car soft also works over usb.

2 hours ago, polley said:

Inpa will work on a modern laptop ie windows 7,8,10 etc. And over usb too.

Car soft also works over usb.

Thanks Tony for confirming.

Would you think that this the full carsoft software? AliExpress link

Just be aware that "works over USB" actually means "some things work over USB". You can NOT access all ADS modules via USB. I can't recall which ones you can access, they may be sufficient but something to be aware of nevertheless.

If I can find some time to get over to Birkdale I'd be happy to bring my setup over. It's still worth you pursuing your own solution because I'm not sure when I'd be able to do that.

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

Just be aware that "works over USB" actually means "some things work over USB". You can NOT access all ADS modules via USB. I can't recall which ones you can access, they may be sufficient but something to be aware of nevertheless.

I cant think of anything I haven't been able to access. Cant say I've tryed all the modules though. But all the main ones, ews, dme, egs, airbags, abs, kombi, ihka etc have been fine.

Yes, I can't remember the full list but for sure you can't access all features in the cluster, abs/asc, radio and I think body electronics modules via USB.

But whatever, I just wish people would say "works partially" when talking about USB because there's so much misinformation out there.

If you have an e36 and you're starting from the ground up then you're best to go ADS over serial, Win XP+ 32bit.

Cheers guys for the help.

I'll order those parts and give it a shot with a more recent operating system, and in the meantime if a cheap XP laptop with a serial input pops up I'll grab it. Regardless, it sounds like ews can be accessed via USB which is key for me in the near term...

On 11/1/2018 at 2:40 PM, M3AN said:

If I can find some time to get over to Birkdale I'd be happy to bring my setup over. It's still worth you pursuing your own solution because I'm not sure when I'd be able to do that.

Thanks Dave, if you do happen to ever be over this way and are happy to do that it would be appreciated.

Edited by Cale

I use Windows 10 without any problems, just make sure it's 32bit if you want to run all the tools. You don't need XP.