Sign in to follow this  
Karter16

NZ E46 M3 sales numbers

Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone has any info on BMW NZ sales of new E46 M3's by year. Not sure if the info is in the public domain (I haven't found any info in my search so far), but would be keen to know how many E46 M3's were sold new in NZ each year they were for sale here, etc.

Cheers,

Matt

• Thanks 1

I kind of, not really, answered my own question. So thought I'd post back here.

I don't have sales data, but I do have data of E46 M3's currently registered (as at Sept 2018). So it won't give me actual sales numbers as it doesn't account for vehicles taken off the road, exported, etc. But I thought it was still interesting to see how many E46 M3's are around and what they are. 

Note that I believe that the attached includes CSL's as well, as NZTA don't appear to separate them out separately.

Still interested to see actual sales numbers for NZ, but suspect that the below is about as close as I'll get.

The raw dataset is available here https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/new-zealand-motor-vehicle-register-statistics/new-zealand-vehicle-fleet-open-data-sets/ for anyone else who didn't know about it/is interested.

Matt

E46 M3 Registrations by MY as at Sep 2018.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

interesting database that one. going to have to figure out how many 335d tourings there are in the country when I get a chance

• Like 1

Wow!! 

What a great find, going nuts finding out how many Soarers are in NZ now :p 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Karter16 said:

Still interested to see actual sales numbers for NZ, but suspect that the below is about as close as I'll get.

A lot depends on how you want to measure "sales" in the murky world of new car sales there are a number of different ways of recording the sale of a vehicle. The most often, and probably most accurate, measure is the number of new car first registrations - as any given car can only be registered as new once.

I will see what I can dig out on the registrations of the E46 M3 - are you only interested in the coupe or Cabrio as well?

Used car information is much harder to interpret, as a lot of the information is an open text field, so they will enter whatever you write on the form into the MVR, so people import things like "318i M3" or my favourite the "320i AC Shitzer" finding the real M3s is always a bit of detective work there.

3 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

A lot depends on how you want to measure "sales" in the murky world of new car sales there are a number of different ways of recording the sale of a vehicle. The most often, and probably most accurate, measure is the number of new car first registrations - as any given car can only be registered as new once.

I will see what I can dig out on the registrations of the E46 M3 - are you only interested in the coupe or Cabrio as well?

Used car information is much harder to interpret, as a lot of the information is an open text field, so they will enter whatever you write on the form into the MVR, so people import things like "318i M3" or my favourite the "320i AC Shitzer" finding the real M3s is always a bit of detective work there.

Yeah absolutely - appreciate that it's not an exact science.

If you are able to dig any info out around registrations of E46 M3's that would be awesome. If it's no trouble to do coupe and cabrio that would be awesome. - thanks very much!

These are the numbers I managed to find, unfortunately the live Sales information only goes back as far as 2004 and the registration data only as far back as 2002, so I can't find anything for 2001 M3s.

Year    
BMW Model 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Total 
M3 CABRIOLET E46 10 10 7 3 1 31
M3 M3 COUPE MANUAL 61 44 15 9 1 130
M3 M3CSL COUPE M 0 4 6 1 0 11
Total 71 58 28 13 2

• Like 1

^ Note, all NZ new E46 M3's are registered as "M3 Coupe Manual" even if they are SMG.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

These are the numbers I managed to find, unfortunately the live Sales information only goes back as far as 2004 and the registration data only as far back as 2002, so I can't find anything for 2001 M3s.

Year    
BMW Model 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Total 
M3 CABRIOLET E46 10 10 7 3 1 31
M3 M3 COUPE MANUAL 61 44 15 9 1 130
M3 M3CSL COUPE M 0 4 6 1 0 11
Total 71 58 28 13 2

Thanks so much for this - really appreciate it - basically exactly what I was after!

49 minutes ago, Karter16 said:

Thanks so much for this - really appreciate it - basically exactly what I was after!

Can I ask what the reason is to find numbers?

Hi guys,

Thought I'd combine the data from Jon along with the current NZTA data. Which gives the attached picture. Note that this is reliant on the accuracy of the NZTA current data and categorisation of vehicles. It probably isn't exactly right, but it's close. I've sighted the source data and made sure the numbers look as right as possible. The notes section lists my main assumptions/describes the data.

Essentially the chart below gives a view of how many of each year/type of vehicle have become deregistered (accident, exported, etc.).

Big thanks to Jon for providing the sales/registration data for each year. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 5.39.18 PM.png

Edited by Karter16

12 minutes ago, Bennyboy said:

Can I ask what the reason is to find numbers?

Haha - just started out with me wondering how many were sold in NZ. Then I found the NZTA data which was cool, and then when Jon came up with the winning info I realised with the two datasets it would be possible to work out the vehicle loss rate.

I'm in IT and data gets me excited ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

^ Ditto

Data like this is jolly exciting. 

I'm seeing how many E39 M5s are still registered.

I managed to find there are 559 Soarers 1991-2000, only 7 of them are my rare hydraulic active suspension model! 

• Like 1

Looks like 53 E39 M5s road registered as of Sep 2018.

1998 - 0 

1999 - 16

2000 - 11

2001 - 12

2002 - 9

2003 - 5 

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Michael. said:

Looks like 53 E39 M5s road registered as of Sep 2018.

Still a few to find then...

I count 51 actually, there was a 2.8 and 4.4 standard models pretending to be M5s in the list. 

On 10/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, balancerider said:

interesting database that one. going to have to figure out how many 335d tourings there are in the country when I get a chance

31 335D tourings by my calculations. Only 6 pre-LCI ones though. Black is the most popular colour...