Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

Where do people buy their tyres? (Wellington)

Starting a sister thread for the windy city.

I need 4 new tyres and an alignment for my '06 130i. The sizes from memory are 215/40-18 and 245/35-18. I want to ditch the run flats and switch to a regular tyre.

Quotes so far from Tony's seem to be around $1,400 for Potenza s001. Does anyone know of any options of places where I might be able to come in under a grand?

Thanks

• Like 1

I take my business to Kelvin at Bridgestone Torrens Terrace.  His alignment work is consistently very good, he knows his onions, and takes a no bs approach.

Be clear up front what you’re looking for, and expect the ‘why are you dropping runflats with no spare’ question.  In NZ a hole in your sidewall won’t be helped by a can of slime and a compressor, when you’re between regional towns.

HTH

44 minutes ago, qube said:

http://www.bridgestonetyrecentre.co.nz/promotions/current-offer/

call your local bridgestone store and ask for a quote.

its buy 3 get 1 free.

See if they will do it for 2 pairs or sizes otherwise you might want to find a twin to go half half and order 4 fronts and 4 rears :)

Yup and take that quote to Tony's (call them) and they'll usually beat it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kepes said:

Yup and take that quote to Tony's (call them) and they'll usually beat it. 

maybe on price, but thats because their service is sh*t so they can afford it. Bridgestone are more expencive sure. but unless you want to take your own torque wrench, you want to tell them where to jack the car up etc, then keep well clear of all the Tonys branches. litterally the bunnings of tyres. Citation: i used to be a regular there for the work fleet and my own stuff.

I only ever use Bridgetone Wainui now, i appreciate that might be a bit far for you, but i like to take cars to actual enthusiests that treat the car the way you would. Sounds like Bridgestone in the city is the same experience based on what Richard says

I just got 225 40 18 and 255 35 18 roadstone eurovis 04 from hyper for $800.  Buy 3 1 free.  Don't shy away from the brand they are actually quite good.  Decent grip and quiet.

Edited by GorGasm

Beaurepaires also has sport Maxx 050+ on special for about $1000 the same size.

like Andy says, Tony's are a bunch of oxygen-thieves, I gave up.  Lies, bulls#t and worse, you're paying for it.

they're trying to get you to pay your highest price that day.  you can get them trying to beat the fly on the wall, but it's akin to seal-clubbing.

i deal with tyre clinic in the city have found them to be excellent i thinks its fifeshire ave next to the audi etc dealer

Beaurepairs is quoting 1400 for Michelin Pilots. Seems the best deal I found so far, as i believe they are very good?

sure they are good but what car is it for? overkill and not necessary on all/any car.

Ive got PS4's on my E39 beater. Spending a few hundred more to get superior rubber is never overkill given they aren't expensive to begin with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Ive got PS4's on my E39 beater. Spending a few hundred more to get superior rubber is never overkill given they aren't expensive to begin with.

How much did they cost you if you don't mind me asking? Thinking about getting a set of those for my E39 530i

They were $240 odd in 235/45R17 when i bought them from Hyper. Seen them a little cheaper and seen them more expensive. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 8:24 PM, kiwi535 said:

i deal with tyre clinic in the city have found them to be excellent i thinks its fifeshire ave next to the audi etc dealer

Used them for years on my cars, but the past couple of sets I haven't been happy with the work.

Just replaced a pair of worn tires on my car myself at work and finally found the source of the 100kph shake I have had for a couple of years. The two front tires were seriously out of balance (I chucked them on the balancer to confirm my suspicions, one needed 20/25g inside/out). I brought it up with Tyre clinic when I first got them fitted, they apparently rebalanced them, still happened, so they said my suspension was worn and that causes the shake. Got beurepairs to rebalance them too but I suspect they did the wrong pair. Like driving on a cloud now, so nice. 

Your old tyres or the new tyres you fitted yourself were out of balance?!? Of course your old tyres will be out of balance if they are worn.

25g is nothing.

12 hours ago, Blackie said:

Your old tyres or the new tyres you fitted yourself were out of balance?!? Of course your old tyres will be out of balance if they are worn.

25g is nothing.

old tires, they had been out of balance since they were fitted new, but they never fixed it despite my complaints. The other pair of "old" tires for comparison, which are also worn, had no issues with their balance. I know my car, i have had it for 7 years or so, daily driven, so know when something isnt right straight after having new tires fitted.

It wasnt just 25g, it was 25g on the OUTSIDE of the wheel, and 20g on the INSIDE, on top of the weights that were actually fitted to the wheel (cant recall what they were)

Edited by KwS

Tyres done last weekend at Beaurepairs. Buy one get one half price, which was only a tad less than the discounted quote they originally gave me (saved a couple of extra bucks and they discounted the wheel alignment). The PS4's have transformed the car!

For some reason Tony's said they wouldn't have PS4 in stock until Feb next year. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just bought a set of Pirellis for the wife's Skoda from Hyperdrive; cheaper by far than cheap Supercats on the Bridgestone buy 3 get one free. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 1:38 PM, Herbmiester said:

Just bought a set of Pirellis for the wife's Skoda from Hyperdrive; cheaper by far than cheap Supercats on the Bridgestone buy 3 get one free. 

But are they as good as Supercats? 9000 Taxi & Uber Drivers can't be wrong? ? ?

• Like 1