Jump to content
The_Edge

WTB: E46 M3

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I'm new to the Forum and to New Zealand. I sold up most of my cars in South Africa and need to re-collect in NZ. 😁

I'm looking for a clean Manual E46 M3, with low mileage. Willing to pay the right price for the right car.

Laguna Seca would be first prize, but unlikely to find one for sale I guess. 

Not looking for a cabriolet.

Please contact me if  you have one, or know someone that has an E46 M3 for sale.

Phone:  +64278433343. (I work out of country a lot so whatsapp message or whatsapp call on this number)

Email: jarededge@gmail.com

 

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There arent a lot of M3 owners here and even less that want to sell. Will be difficult to find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on this, there is probably only 50 6 speed ones in NZ. So there is probably only a handful under 100km now. 

You'll just have to wait a bit, they do come up, but there are a lot of 'lifers'. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, m325i said:

Based on this, there is probably only 50 6 speed ones in NZ. So there is probably only a handful under 100km now. 

You'll just have to wait a bit, they do come up, but there are a lot of 'lifers'. 

 

Yep I've kept a pretty close eye on the E46 M3 market over the last few years - definitely going to need to wait for the right car to come along.

In terms of lower mileage, fully appreciate that might be desirable from a collectability point of view, but probably worth keeping in mind that at this age even a lot of the lower mileage examples likely need significant maintenance at this point (if they haven't already had it). Sounds like you're probably already aware of that, but thought I'd point it out.

Good luck with finding the right car!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have emailed you, could be time to sell mine. It’s an SMG though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 5:13 PM, The_Edge said:

Hi All,

I'm new to the Forum and to New Zealand. I sold up most of my cars in South Africa and need to re-collect in NZ. 😁

I'm looking for a clean Manual E46 M3, with low mileage. Willing to pay the right price for the right car.

Laguna Seca would be first prize, but unlikely to find one for sale I guess. 

Not looking for a cabriolet.

Please contact me if  you have one, or know someone that has an E46 M3 for sale.

Phone:  +64278433343. (I work out of country a lot so whatsapp message or whatsapp call on this number)

Email: jarededge@gmail.com

 

Cheers

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1825986492.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42k 🤨

Better have a lot more done to it than only the rear subframe for that sort of coin.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys. Thank you all for the responses!!

On 11/2/2018 at 6:12 PM, Karter16 said:

Yep I've kept a pretty close eye on the E46 M3 market over the last few years - definitely going to need to wait for the right car to come along.

In terms of lower mileage, fully appreciate that might be desirable from a collectability point of view, but probably worth keeping in mind that at this age even a lot of the lower mileage examples likely need significant maintenance at this point (if they haven't already had it). Sounds like you're probably already aware of that, but thought I'd point it out.

Good luck with finding the right car!

Thank you for the advise. I've been looking for a while and I am very particular when looking at a car to buy, which is why I am still sitting without one.😂

Karter16 - I read your build thread, was an awesome read. You're lucky to have done the build with your Dad!!! 

 

17 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

 

Thank you bennyboy and Karter16 for posting this link so quickly. I have spoken to the guy and will view the car on the weekend.

 

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

42k 🤨

Better have a lot more done to it than only the rear subframe for that sort of coin.

 

I will def not be paying 42K...We'll see how things go on the weekend. I could import a LSB with 100000km all costs included from South Africa for that price. The car looks amazing in the pics though, so i will pay a fair price if all checks out.😊

21 hours ago, DarinD said:

Have emailed you, could be time to sell mine. It’s an SMG though. 

Thank you for the mail and chat, Looking forward to seeing your car on the weekend too.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the process and cost like for importing a car from South Africa? 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

What's the process and cost like for importing a car from South Africa? 

https://www.customs.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/fact-sheets/fact-sheet-29-advice-on-private-motor-vehicle-imports.pdf

 

There are a few ways to make it cheaper to import. Like buying the car, putting it in storage for 12 months after it's registered in your name, then only paying GST on 50% of the value of the car when it's imported. If you buy it and ship it immidiately you could claim the VAT (South Africa's version of GST, also 15%) back, but pay GST on the full value of the vehicle. As far as I know, there are no import duties on top of the GST. Shipping/freight can be pricey if you put the car in a container and ship it over, but pretty cheap if you put it on a vehicle carrier. (like the ones that come into Auckland harbor from Japan fully loaded every day of the week).

It's worth doing some research....there are a LOT of collectible cars there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second one is SMG, you're looking for a manual right?

The Topaz one looks nice.

But both are early(ish) models and those prices are sky-high premium. Neither auction confirms rear subframe is sorted, bottom end is sorted and VANOS is sorted, all things that I'd expect to be 100% complete to the highest standard for those prices.

Although the Topaz one looks nice...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's my choice of the 3 but my caveats still apply and that price... it would have to come down significantly for me to be comfortable with it and I can't imagine my offer would please the seller... 😕

Nevertheless, absolutely worth a look and do report back! Good luck. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The_Edge said:

Thank you for the advise. I've been looking for a while and I am very particular when looking at a car to buy, which is why I am still sitting without one.😂

Karter16 - I read your build thread, was an awesome read. You're lucky to have done the build with your Dad!!! 

Thanks man - appreciate your kind words! Hope that the right car comes along - sounds like you're going to take great care of it when you get it!

The Topaz one does look nice - amazing that so many have come up in the space of a day! Would depend on it's maintenance status, rod bearing, vanos, RACP, etc. but it looks like a nice car from the listing (not a fan of the carbon (wrap?) trim, but oh well!).

Good luck with finding the right car - look forward to following your progress!

Edited by Karter16
didn't read the comments above first 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Second one is SMG, you're looking for a manual right?

The Topaz one looks nice.

But both are early(ish) models and those prices are sky-high premium. Neither auction confirms rear subframe is sorted, bottom end is sorted and VANOS is sorted, all things that I'd expect to be 100% complete to the highest standard for those prices.

Although the Topaz one looks nice...

 

 

i did post the topaz blue one on here a few months ago (August 2018) , plate used to be "SHANE3" and asking price was around 30k back then. 

seems like its moved to wellington, got some nice photos and price bumped to 35k

 

the black one for 33k nz new looks nice but its actually a MY02 not 2003.5 and hence PFL.

still, probably the nicest one but also very plain nothing special which might be a good thing. unsure about big maintenance tickets though.

 

what a tough market..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I thought I remembered it and I had a fair idea the price was lower a while back.

I think it is a tough market for both sellers and buyers tbh. I understand sellers want a premium (why not, it's a desirable car) but how many are actually selling at this price? And keen buyers are left thinking that perhaps it's beyond reach.

That good ones infrequently come up for sale shouldn't necessarily create a rising tide that lifts all prices.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, M3AN said:

...those prices are sky-high premium.

Have you seen what e46s are selling for in the States? Low kms blues one NZ$75k. Comp pack $50k+ 

Hodl, we're going to the moon baby!

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m325i said:

Hodl, we're going to the moon baby!

haha bloody cryptos

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M3 is a far better investment than any cyrpto I've bought ! 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keep hodling u cant do much else now

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So....

I purchased the UK import E46 M3 yesterday.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1833187514

The bodywork and interior are mint.....love the red interior. Also has the HK sound system.

Some corrosion underneath and on the calipers, but looks minimal so far.

It seems like HellBM is the recommended service provider, so I'll give Ray a call tomorrow and ask him to give it a once over and replace anything that needs replacing. Also need to check rear subframe. 

I'll report back as soon as I have an outcome.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×