Sign in to follow this  
Sunny5999

Modding the Hell out of 355i DCT

Mhd Stg 1 

VRSF Catless DP.

VRSF Charge Pipe,  turbosmartBOV.

Thinking about getting bmr 3.5 exhaust(straight pipe) any thoughts on legality?

Exhaust, a flash, and a BOV is not modding the hell out of :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Jeez, mine must be extreme modded then, if thats "modding the hell out of it".

Anyway, welcome. There is heaps of info on the 335i here, with a few owners having them. IIRC if it has DCT its an N55?

2 hours ago, KwS said:

Jeez, mine must be extreme modded then, if thats "modding the hell out of it".

Anyway, welcome. There is heaps of info on the 335i here, with a few owners having them. IIRC if it has DCT its an N55?

N54 and N55 can both come with DCT. 

A straight-pipe... err IMO it's too much, and will probably get you hassles from the cops. 

IMO, perfect sound for these cars is the "PE mod" (google it) and a pair of resonators - the resonators make up for the downpipe, as not everyone likes the effect the downpipe has on the sound when combined with the PE mod. 
Think you need an intercooler first though ;) In NZ's climate, the $200USD Ebay cheap one will do fine. 

Edited by Matth5

18 hours ago, Jacko said:

Mate, what i mean is i am going to, all the baby mods above is just a start. But i get it, my way of putting it was wrong.

Edited by sunny5999
spelling

12 hours ago, Matth5 said:

N54 and N55 can both come with DCT. 

A straight-pipe... err IMO it's too much, and will probably get you hassles from the cops. 

IMO, perfect sound for these cars is the "PE mod" (google it) and a pair of resonators - the resonators make up for the downpipe, as not everyone likes the effect the downpipe has on the sound when combined with the PE mod. 
Think you need an intercooler first though ;) In NZ's climate, the $200USD Ebay cheap one will do fine. 

N54 DCT. 

Just curious, has anyone straight-piped their n54-n55 in NZ yet, Because i was talking to my mechanic the other day about straight-pipes, he mentioned that passing  wof with SPs wasn't an issue. 

Does that sound true, cause i am a bit  skeptical, what do you think?

In terms of INTER-COUGAR mhd stg1 91-95 v7.1(UNmodified) map does not require FMCI, i have tested this i'll been from CHCH to Fox glacier its over 400k, without any problems. oil temp stays put at 120. 

I guess it depends how the WOF guys are about loud cars and if they have equipment to measure it, because it will be really loud. I had PE mod + downpipe and it was pretty damn loud, couldn't imagine why anyone would want it louder. I added resonators to bring it down to a less obnoxious level. 

Yep the stage1 map is fine, but with an intercooler you can move up to stage2 + which is more fun :D

Edited by Matth5

8 hours ago, sunny5999 said:

N54 DCT. 

Just curious, has anyone straight-piped their n54-n55 in NZ yet, Because i was talking to my mechanic the other day about straight-pipes, he mentioned that passing  wof with SPs wasn't an issue. 

Does that sound true, cause i am a bit  skeptical, what do you think?

In terms of INTER-COUGAR mhd stg1 91-95 v7.1(UNmodified) map does not require FMCI, i have tested this i'll been from CHCH to Fox glacier its over 400k, without any problems. oil temp stays put at 120. 

I can only imagine how raspy and horrible it would sound with straight pipes. Its up to you, but i'd recommend at least having a decent system ready to swap on when you realise how bad the SP is.

In regards to intercoolers, they have nothing to do with oil temps. Its intake temps intercoolers lower, and lower intake temps mean (in theory) more power, but also less chance of detonation.

Straight pipes are also straight up illegal and will not pass WOF.

Mandatory equipment

1. A vehicle is not fitted with an exhaust system that includes a means of sound reduction (Note 1) (Note 6).

What do you guys think about BlackMarketRacing 3.5inch exhaust, Its kinda straight pipe but does have a muffler?      

thanks for your input.

I need to post my new n54 here, but I'll ask first, any misfires with MHD stage 1? Did you know the state of the plugs before? I wanna go for it, but don't have the budget for new coilpacks etc if there's an issue haha ?

Running a tune is the fastest way to expose issues with your car, parts getting worn will show their wear sooner as they're being worked harder. So... not recommended if the costs are going to hit you too hard :)
The stock charge pipes also like to explode when running tunes as they don't tolerate the higher boost pressures. 

17 hours ago, Tij said:

I need to post my new n54 here, but I'll ask first, any misfires with MHD stage 1? Did you know the state of the plugs before? I wanna go for it, but don't have the budget for new coilpacks etc if there's an issue haha ?

Have you checked what Injectors your cars got? if its 07 it should have newer injectors, if its got anything below index10 you will get misse fires. Plugs are cheap anyway, change them! State of my Stock plugs was ok but its important to get plugs that you are able to gap at .022  .Makes a difference. just get plugs and give it a tune see what happens yea. 

I did not want to risk it so before tuning i changed my injectors to index12 cause they were old (BNK1)3index9s and (BNK2)3index7s, and sparkplugs to NGK 5992 lazeriridium 1 step colder spark plugs at .022 gap. havent changed my coils yet cause my cars only done 57000k(no need).  as per me i would strongly recommend getting index 12s and the NGK plugs first before you start tuning. and as far as charge pipe goes, i ran stock chargepipe(never exploded) for over 2 months before getting vrsf with turbosmart bov. ALSO DO A FRESH FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGE. 

SET OF INDEX 12s was $1927.92NZD+GST about $381 or so cant remember.

NGK 1step colder plugs $72.80NZD 

Flasher module (MHD Flasher N54) $164.99

Monitor module (MHD Flasher N54)    $119.99
Stage 1/1+ petrol maps pack (MHD Flasher N54)$79.99

so before you go out and start tuning, you need to get these things out of the way then you wont have to worry about misfires, MHD reads all the codes including misfire . 

Let me know if you need anymore info happy to help.

plug.jpg

Edited by Sunny5999
REWORDING.
  • Thanks 1

That's great, I've read so many threads, but it's great to have a response direct from someone that's done it.

I summed up the 'budget' issue with coils, but I was thinking about everything you listed. I guess I'll just work slowly towards it over the next few months. I am patient enough, just haha and will enjoy more getting it right. 

Definitely can get new plugs and gap myself. I'll check out my injectors, fingers crossed their 10s for now. I havent got a new charge pipe yet but will, I have Forge Motorsport diverter valves (luckily came with car) and an AFE DCI. So not too much more to sort out. It's great even stock, but you know....

Thanks for the info it's a big help, I may flick you a message down the line once I take care of these last few maintenance items. Really enjoying the mod bug and the car. 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, Tij said:

That's great, I've read so many threads, but it's great to have a response direct from someone that's done it.

I summed up the 'budget' issue with coils, but I was thinking about everything you listed. I guess I'll just work slowly towards it over the next few months. I am patient enough, just haha and will enjoy more getting it right. 

Definitely can get new plugs and gap myself. I'll check out my injectors, fingers crossed their 10s for now. I havent got a new charge pipe yet but will, I have Forge Motorsport diverter valves (luckily came with car) and an AFE DCI. So not too much more to sort out. It's great even stock, but you know....

Thanks for the info it's a big help, I may flick you a message down the line once I take care of these last few maintenance items. Really enjoying the mod bug and the car. 

Thats it man, do it the right way. you wont regret it.

Unless you live in the bush keep in mind that you also have a civic duty not to piss off your neighbourhood with an obnoxiously loud exhaust.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 11:40 AM, Sunny5999 said:

Thats it man, do it the right way. you wont regret it.

Looks like I have index 10s - things are looking positive for a tune for Xmas haha :)

154181466161959.thumb.jpg.0a0bd2ce27b2ad85d6a9861fb6a05148.jpg

21 hours ago, Tij said:

Looks like I have index 10s - things are looking positive for a tune for Xmas haha :)

154181466161959.thumb.jpg.0a0bd2ce27b2ad85d6a9861fb6a05148.jpg

Thats great new, get some 1 step colder plugs & give it a tune, sure you will be fine. ???

2 hours ago, Sunny5999 said:

Thats great new, get some 1 step colder plugs & give it a tune, sure you will be fine. ???

Yea stoked! Last quick question for you. Where did you source your plugs from? Been having a look around, $72 you stated earlier sounds like a good deal, if you could send me a link. Thanks again for all your advice ? 

4 hours ago, Tij said:

Yea stoked! Last quick question for you. Where did you source your plugs from? Been having a look around, $72 you stated earlier sounds like a good deal, if you could send me a link. Thanks again for all your advice ? 

http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_spark_plug_socket_adapter.html

Just scroll down, you"ll see 
NGK 5992  1 step colder spark plugs.

Sorry mate me silly I mixed up USD with NZD its $72 USD.

• Thanks 1

I have been running an MHD Stage 1 plus for nearly 2 years now. Whats most important is a bigger inter cooler and replacing your charge pipe before it splits. Its also very worthwhile to get your intake ports de-carboned. Straight pipe or any aftermarket noisy pipe is a waste of cash. All it does it make the car obnoxious and a magnet for the cops. Remove the cats and you will have all the power the standard turbos can support. Note at this stage you will have real traction issues save the money you would have spent on a bogan exhaust and buy and LSD and the best tires you can afford. Coils die its just a a fact of life my first one went at 91k. As to injectors plenty of guys running MHD tunes with no issues. 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Thanks 1