Sign in to follow this  
Shaun14

Auckland Paint Recommendations

Hi All, 

I have two cars (an E46 race car and an E30 road car) that I am wanting to get painted in the next few months. 
Both cars will be stripped down (E46 is just a shell and E30 will have all lights, trim, bumpers, glass, interior etc... removed) and both cars will be getting a complete colour change and have very straight bodys. The plan at this stage is to paint the E46 Alpine White 2 and the E30 Lime Rock Grey. I'm looking for recommendations and rough costs for car painters in the Auckland region - Happy to do some of the prep work my self to save costs but I understand some body shops don't like this. 

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

• Like 1

have no ideas but also keen to find out. I have touring that can use some new paint...

Bump, recommendations please

Two aluminum E36 coupe doors, Estoril Blue

I use Wagstaff European on Marua Road for my rear bumper, gave them the bumper and the paint code and it's a perfect match to the rest of the car.

Make sure they have the bandwidth needed in the timeframe required before you commit or you could be at the end of a very long queue. And for this reason I wouldn't recommend them for a job that needed big prep without a serious discussion with them first about dates.

GT Refinishers on Walls Road also do good work but they might be lacking a bit on consistency if some of the stories I've heard are true. They're still recommended though so perhaps it's just a matter of a few bad days - worthy of a chat nevertheless.

Rear bumper cost me $250 at Wagstaff based on me letting them just fit it in between jobs over a couple of weeks (in the end it took about a week). I removed the bumper and trim, washed it and took it in still fully painted.

Are the doors bare, primed or painted?

On 9/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, M3AN said:

I use Wagstaff European on Marua Road for my rear bumper, gave them the bumper and the paint code and it's a perfect match to the rest of the car.

Is that the place that was/is still a front for the headhunters gang?

If its the same place they got raided a few times and a bunch of cars and motorcycles taken under the proceeds of crime act.

Edited to add its NOT the same place.

Edited by zero
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Are the doors bare, primed or painted?

Painted silver (over Estoril blue ? )

a few scratches on one, but a cut and polish would remove them.

The other door has some .............. bubbles or small peaks sharp to the touch ?

No dents or ripples, that I can make out.

I was adviced to install the doors, so colour matching could be done.

Do you guys think that I could get away with just dropping the doors off ?

10 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

a few scratches on one, but a cut and polish would remove them.

The other door has some .............. bubbles or small peaks sharp to the touch ?

No dents or ripples, that I can make out.

When I had the M5 bumper done I took it off and dropped it in, the guy used their little machine to get the colour from the rear quarter where it met the bumper so they could match it and it came out perfect. It will save them from having to mask the entire car to paint 2 doors!

13 hours ago, zero said:

Is that the place that was/is still a front for the headhunters gang?

If its the same place they got raided a few times and a bunch of cars and motorcycles taken under the proceeds of crime act.

I'm not sure to be honest, I didn't pursue that line of questioning when I took my bumper in for painting. ?

There is a proper headhunters HQ 400 metres down the road though.

11 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

Ouch!

11 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

That's the best way to do it but quite a bit more expensive. The won't/can't guarantee a match unless they have the whole car. Doors are a big slab of the car, surrounded by painted areas so if it didn't match it would be very noticeable.

You could take the risk and if they didn't match then you could take the whole car in and get the quarter panels blended in but then you're probably over the original cost of taking the whole thing in.

Best to ask for prices for both options and go from there.

54 minutes ago, aja540i said:

When I had the M5 bumper done I took it off and dropped it in, the guy used their little machine to get the colour from the rear quarter where it met the bumper so they could match it and it came out perfect. 

I took my bumper in and just gave them the paint code from the web. I'm lucky my paint is still pretty good, car has been garaged most of its life. But bumpers are much easier to do because of the angle you look at them and they're not typically surrounded by big patches of other painted areas. Side panels are always easier to see colour deviation in. I was delighted with my bumper though (I expected it to be a bit off and it wasn't).

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

When I had the M5 bumper done I took it off and dropped it in, the guy used their little machine to get the colour from the rear quarter where it met the bumper so they could match it and it came out perfect. It will save them from having to mask the entire car to paint 2 doors!

Andrew, where did you go ?

23 minutes ago, sweetm3 said:

Andrew, where did you go ?

I think it is called Accidento in Birkenhead, used to be By Accident ( or the other way round) in Enterprise st, I always use them, never had an issue.

Just thought I had better add that Wagstaff European on Marua road was NOT the front for the headhunters gang. 

The place that was the front was further down Marua road and has changed into a general workshop.

• Thanks 1

What do you think

By Accident, want me to,

drop off the doors so they can be prepped 

Bring the car in a couple of days later,(with all trim on fenders removed) for a couple of days. They will paint the new doors and feather out the front and rear panels to match the doors.

• Like 1

Sounds like the best way to get it looking right....

• Like 1

I agree that some blending is likely to be necessary and their proposal seems reasonable. You can of course save a lot by doing the prep on the doors yourself if you're so inclined. It's just sanding and primer, depends on how much they're proposing for that stage (they usually get the shop lackey to do it). 

I'd prefer they did the prep Dave so the finished product is their responsibility.

They quoted $500 for surface  prep, paint and feathering per side

I have to remove and re install all hardware on doors and fenders

I'd jump down the throat of $500 and wouldn't even consider prepping it myself for that. Seems like a sharp price.

What do you have to remove from the alu doors? And then it's just the indicator and two trim pieces per side, 5 mins work.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M3AN said:

What do you have to remove from the alu doors? And then it's just the indicator and two trim pieces per side, 5 mins work.

Not a thing mate, the window regulators are the only parts on the new doors. Both in working condition. ???.

• Like 1

500 sounds like an excellent price.