Sign in to follow this  
redmdamson

O2 Sensor Readings

Hey guys I just got the FixD diagnostic reader and it’s showing me the voltage of 1,2,5,6 o2 sensors. 

My guess is that I need to replace 2 and 6 due to the lack of flux they're doing. Would I be wrong?

I also know there is a gouge in the exhaust that I need to take care of (drivers side of the two before the resonators(.

857CFB23-B473-4129-9C47-A4F184F94661.png

Could it be that sensors 1 and 5 are pre-cat and 2 and 6 are post -cat?

I couldnt seem to find An answer on which sensor is where. Google had failed me.

49 minutes ago, redmdamson said:

I couldnt seem to find An answer on which sensor is where. Google had failed me.

The reader tool you purchased will not help you diagnose faults properly. The vehicle needs better diagnostic systems to do that and a person with a qualified brain to use it. The faults you have will probably be the result of a problem and not be the actual fault. O2 sensor faults are normally triggered by lean or rich mixture problems

I know darn sure that there is an exhaust leak that is part of the reason I’m getting the codes p0420 and p0430. Could that leak be the only cause or is it likely the o2 sensors are bad because of the gouge?

After cat exhaust leaks won't cause O2 sensor fault codes. What driving problems or issues are you having with the vehicle ?

The hole is before the cats. Just replaced the water pump due to a leak and the check engine light has been on for a while due to p0420 and p0430.

my heat has been finicky lately too but since I just got this car more recently it seems to drive the same as before.

What model car? 

They're both codes for cats, so I would probably check if they have been removed 

8 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

What model car? 

They're both codes for cats, so I would probably check if they have been removed 

It’s a 328i and I was told that the reason for those codes could be faulty sensor, hole in exhaust, or cats are failing internally.

Or the cats have been gutted 

the correct way to test your cats for being blocked is with a manometer 

The correct way to check your o2 sensors with with a gas analyser 

But won't hurt to check for leaks at all or damage to the cats