Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

Potential 1989 B11 Alpina

Yes, as mentioned in another thread, I have potentially scored a 1989 B11 Alpina, or it may turn out to be a 1989 735iL badges and stickers special....... yet to confirm either way, but given the purchase price, it's a bargain given the straightness, originality and low k's.

Brief history as I know it at the moment, there will be more info and pics when I get time.

Guy I bought it off imported it from Japan himself. I've got the paperwork here from that, so I'll be the second NZ owner. K's are around 87k 88k. He bought it over when it had about 42k or 43k I think.

Allegedly ex Japanese PMs car, and also allegedly armour plated. Matching numbers and nearly everything complete. Reg is on hold, been parked up for a year as he used this car to take his mother on long trips, she passed away about a year ago and it's been parked up since.

Exterior needs a little work. Clear coat fade on the roof, and rear spoiler leaks a little water into the boot, no major damage there yet but want to get that sorted first.

Interior is nearly immaculate, a couple of tiny little details to sort. However it has an issue at the moment where smoke comes from under the dash when the battery is connected, so have to pull the dash and sort that.

Check engine light is also on, I'm guessing this is being caused by the dash problem, but that shouldn't be hard to sort out.

20181105_141549.jpg

20181105_141544.jpg

20181105_141436.jpg

20181105_141520.jpg

20181105_141527.jpg

20181105_141555.jpg

20181105_141707.jpg

20181105_141712.jpg

20181105_141720.jpg

20181105_141723.jpg

20181105_141912.jpg

20181105_141917.jpg

20181105_141924.jpg

20181105_141929.jpg

20181105_141947.jpg

20181105_142222.jpg

20181105_142236.jpg

20181105_153440.jpg

20181106_090848.jpg

received_292388891375136.jpeg

received_1029855027202239.jpeg

received_1941729102650284.jpeg

Edited by Mad_Max
  • Like 4

Looks like a good solid car, but im sorry to say it looks like its just had the full JDM Alpina badge/sticker set chucked at it, but no actual Alpina parts. Its missing all the interior and exterior parts for the B11.

• Sad 1

check the ecu numbers and stickers 

2 hours ago, KwS said:

Looks like a good solid car, but im sorry to say it looks like its just had the full JDM Alpina badge/sticker set chucked at it, but no actual Alpina parts. Its missing all the interior and exterior parts for the B11.

Apart from the wheels (as mentioned by E30 3251i Rag-Top), everything else inside and out appears to be the same as most other B11 images I've seen online. Would you care to elaborate on what it's missing?

1 hour ago, BM WORLD said:

I didn't even think of that, will check later today (if we get a break in the weather). Thanks for the tip Brent 

Should have an alpina embossed cluster, seats with Alpina stripes, lower front airdam, Alpina airbox top. Probably more but I'm on my phone atm. 

From a comment at that ^ link:

Luckily Alpina did verify that #178 is the real deal, engine S/N and Chassis S/N. They will do that as a courtesy if you email their archives department.

Maybe you can save $150 - are you in touch with their "archives" department?

They all have a different "By MOMO" steering wheel too. Either way, its a cool car, whether its a real Alpina or not. It would be even cooler if it can be confirmed as a B11.

https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/bmw-alpina-b11-3-5-1989-2/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/09/30/rare-manual-1988-bmw-alpina-b11-3-5-7-series-grabs-seattle/

11 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

Pulled it and had a look, it's been played with. Can't tell if it's been swapped or just pulled out a few times but definitely evidence of it being tampered with, so may have had a standard ECU fitted at some stage.

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Should have an alpina embossed cluster, seats with Alpina stripes, lower front airdam, Alpina airbox top. Probably more but I'm on my phone atm. 

Yeah have noticed it seems to be missing a few things, judging from photos online though there seem to be a lot of genuine ones that are also missing a lot of them too, not sure why though.

3 hours ago, str8_6 said:

This article might help you determine if it’s authentic or not. 

https://germancarsforsaleblog.com/tuner-tuesday-1990-alpina-b11-3-5-2/

regardless, e32 is always a favorite. Shame the Alpina wheels are missing. 

Good article to read, much appreciated for the info thanks ?.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

From a comment at that ^ link:

Maybe you can save $150 - are you in touch with their "archives" department?

Yes got in touch with them this afternoon, emailed photos and details off so now patiently waiting to hear back ?

1 hour ago, KwS said:

They all have a different "By MOMO" steering wheel too. Either way, its a cool car, whether its a real Alpina or not. It would be even cooler if it can be confirmed as a B11.

https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/bmw-alpina-b11-3-5-1989-2/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/09/30/rare-manual-1988-bmw-alpina-b11-3-5-7-series-grabs-seattle/

Yeah I hear you on that one, and will apologise if my reply earlier today sounded a bit defensive - got swamped with people telling me it's a fake with no real info other than "it's missing this bit here or there", and I guess was more just wanting time to research it myself fully.

Looking at the Alpina Archives on this page there were a few that went to Japan, in black, with the gold trim and cloth seats. Also, going through the photos of the actual cars, it seems like boot spoilers, pinstriping, interior trim etc. was all customisable, as most have subtle differences - how much of that is previous owners changing (or replacing items with anything local/cheap) things and how much was ordered that way, no one can say. So will wait and see what the archives says first, and go from there.

Either way, it is a cool car. Very tidy inside and not bad on the outside. If it is just a riced up special, no harm done given what I paid for it - and, if that is the case and it's a stock standard 735iL, the badges will most likely come off and it'll become just a nice weekend cruiser. Given it's condition and extremely low k's, either way I think I got a decent bargain for the price of it.

You don't come across these every day in this condition - not even the ashtrays or the lighter look like they have ever been used.

So this project log may become more active, if it isn't what it was sold as. Get it running, exhaust, decent wheels, tints..... nice Mafia ghetto style car to cruise good old Invers in ????.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

So this project log may become more active, if it isn't what it was sold as. Get it running, exhaust, decent wheels, tints..... nice Mafia ghetto style car to cruise good old Invers in ????.

Looking forward to seeing this one in person. 

Edited by Drea//Mer

1 minute ago, Drea//Mer said:

Looking forward to seeing this one in person. 

You know how to get ahold of me, swing past one night if you want. Just make sure I'm home first ?

I like it and tbh, unless you're hoping for a profit it probably doesn't matter if it's fake or not. It looks cool.

I'd be more interested in the armour to be honest, how thick is the glass? Because there's not point in putting armour on a car without reinforcing the glass also.

• Like 1

Get it weighed. Looked up the specs for a previous gen armoured 7er a couple of days ago, they weigh something in the region of 3500kg so a run over some scales should be a dead giveaway.

13 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I like it and tbh, unless you're hoping for a profit it probably doesn't matter if it's fake or not. It looks cool.

I'd be more interested in the armour to be honest, how thick is the glass? Because there's not point in putting armour on a car without reinforcing the glass also.

Yeah same, Can't say I ever would've gone looking for one of these, but being around it up close, it's definitely different. I'm not looking to flick it off, especially not if it's the real deal, so it'll be a weekend cruiser regardless of what happens.

Not sure how thick the glass is, it doesn't appear to be any thicker than normal - which, as you've said, would make it pointless hahaha.

3 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Get it weighed. Looked up the specs for a previous gen armoured 7er a couple of days ago, they weigh something in the region of 3500kg so a run over some scales should be a dead giveaway.

Yeah will do at some stage. I know it was pushing the Landcruiser around while being towed - and that's a mid 1980's 70 Series 5 door wagon - so either way, it's no lightweight.

So the last few weeks have been hectic. I haven't actually managed to do anything with this as yet, have been in touch with the Alpina Archive register, sent them a bunch of pics and they came back asking more questions, not stating it was a fake - so hopefully they can come back with a definitive answer.

Currently sitting looking at the original certificate of registration. Car was first registered in Nelson 28/11/2000, with an odometer reading of 47,941k's. The registered owner is the guy I bought it off - so that part of the whole story checks out, it is a one NZ owner car, and he didn't do a lot of travel in it.

So here's hoping the rest of the story checks out ?. Will update when I hear more.

• Like 4

So finally got to spend a bit of time on this old girl tonight, and found the smoking gun (well dash wiring technically). Fingers crossed that's all the electrical problems sorted once that's repaired.

Luckily the E34 525I parts car has the exact same plug, and it's in good condition, as I need to replace the plug, wiring and the connector on the gauge cluster - or the whole cluster itself 

20181210_181548.jpg

20181210_181543.jpg

20181210_181535.jpg

20181210_182429.jpg

20181210_182357.jpg

on  the early e34 e32 the millage is stored in the coding plug chip in the brown plug , later clusters millage is stored in the cluster 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

on  the early e34 e32 the millage is stored in the coding plug chip in the brown plug , later clusters millage is stored in the cluster 

Thanks for the info Brent, that's what I was suspecting. Guessing this will be the coding plug you refer to? I may be in luck then, as the 735iL is an 89 and the 525i is a 90, both have the same plug. Guess there will be no harm in fixing the wiring, plugging the 525i cluster in and giving it a go.

20181211_194135.jpg

So a massive thanks to @BM WORLD and @Eagle for their advice. Switched over the plug from the 525i, popped the cluster in and hooked the battery up. Gave it 5 minutes to check for smoke (none), turned the key and it fired straight up!

So just got to swap the coding plug over, swap the fuel gauge over and put the interior back together. Couple of minor light failures coming up on the dash that will be easy to fix. She'll be off for a wof hopefully mid next week so I may actually get to cruise in it Christmas Day!

Will put up a pic later, on closer inspection the PCB on the original cluster is toast..... funny how something so small electrically can stop a car running ? but I'm happy now, it's fixed and running! 

• Like 4

Having had a real close look at your pics on a big screen I would be 99.9% sure it's not a protection vehicle.

The window glass is standard, not three inches thick and the doors are not deep enough for the thicker  steel.

wheels and tyres are not the high load / bullet proof style (which could have explained the lack of Alpina rims if they were).

would have been an odd choice of base car for an Alpina if it were armoured - not much performance from a M30B35 trying to move 3,500kg+ along.

still a great find, a good groom and polish, fix any gremlins and would be a great cruiser.

i would be tempted to find a set of Alpina style rims and keep all the badges if it were mine...

• Like 2

On 12/12/2018 at 8:49 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Having had a real close look at your pics on a big screen I would be 99.9% sure it's not a protection vehicle.

The window glass is standard, not three inches thick and the doors are not deep enough for the thicker  steel.

wheels and tyres are not the high load / bullet proof style (which could have explained the lack of Alpina rims if they were).

would have been an odd choice of base car for an Alpina if it were armoured - not much performance from a M30B35 trying to move 3,500kg+ along.

still a great find, a good groom and polish, fix any gremlins and would be a great cruiser.

i would be tempted to find a set of Alpina style rims and keep all the badges if it were mine...

Yeah my thoughts are heading that way too, a few too many little things not adding up. Having said that though, the Alpina Archive hasn't come back to me yet with a big fat "no" so there may still be something odd ball about it.

That's the idea at the end of the day, get it all cleaned up and all the bugs sorted, then I have a Sunday cruiser, complete with electric headrests ???? - that is one creature comfort I never thought you'd ever need in a car hahaha.

So she's all back together, bit of trickery fitting the 525i cluster, swapping the gauges and fascia over. Were a few small issues to sort in the process, but got it sorted. Only fault showing up on the OBC is the drivers side rear fog light. Everything else is working now, bit of a bad misfire at idle but I don't think it's nothing a new set of plugs, injector cleaner and new fuel won't fix. 

Next step is to try and remove the factory tape player so I can fit a band expander, and hide a bluetooth transmitter - anyone got any tips on removing the factory allen screws after some muppet in the past has rounded them completely? Short of drilling them out? After that, the hunt begins for another console, someone previously has butchered and broken a hell of a lot trying to pull it apart, obviously to try and fix the electrical problem ?

So off for a wof tomorrow - fingers crossed she passes easily, and I'll be able to pick the partner up on Christmas day in it as we head out to meet the outlaws ?. Because I'm sure they want a small tug boat parked on their lawn ???

• Like 3

Aaannnnnddddd she's legal. Few minor issues to sort but she's all legal. And clean. And registered. And ready for it's first outing tomorrow ?.

Though having the "check engine light" come on at random intervals. I keep checking, the engine is still there and running.... not sure what's up with that lol. Oil is good and clean, all fluids topped up. New wiper blades and a couple other things. Starts and runs first time, the slight misfire at idle is getting better, so I think a good cruise on Christmas Day to Dunedin and back, change the oil, go right over it then start looking at what needs replaced.

• Like 4

outstanding.  more pics, time to see it in roadgoing form!

So this is the damage that was done to the PCB from the wiring issues, no way that was going to be repaired. And I think I know what the issue was that caused it, and it's a nice simple fix so will get that sorted as well.

20181215_092420.thumb.jpg.56e1038253a2e08b733bbc905a3b4045.jpg

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

outstanding.  more pics, time to see it in roadgoing form!

Hahaha it still looks exactly the same as the previous pics, just a little cleaner now

20181215_093046.thumb.jpg.8e1829643ea1c0ddce2bd22cd82af4d4.jpg20181215_093030.thumb.jpg.35d04bc404a46af288b6ad925fbfd49c.jpg

Edited by Mad_Max
  • Like 2