M3AN

Sharply Priced E46 M3 (SMG) - $22k

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1821608568.htm

It's far from perfect but you can't complain about the price. If it proves to be mechanically sound then I reckon it's a good buy. New paint too.

High km's no longer worry me, engines blow at 60k's just as often as they do at 260k's these days. Wear and tear is to be expected and can often be addressed.

If you're looking for Phoenix and SMG this would be worth checking out. Altough I really don't like 19" wheels on these things, too big.

899939475.jpg

899939770.jpg

would rather save and pay more for a better one to be honest

I'd pay more to have just about any other colour to be honest. IMO they look horrible in yellow...

I reckon more E46's will be hitting this price range soon because the early E9x M3s are in the 30-40k range now. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

I reckon more E46's will be hitting this price range soon because the early E9x M3s are in the 30-40k range now. 

This will be interesting to observe because I anticipate the E9x M's (and beyond) will only have future appeal for fanbois and not enthusiasts. And I think it's enthusiasts (and scarcity) that protects the price somewhat. My money is on E9x's being worth less that E46's in a few years time and probably worth less that a good example of an E36 M.

I accept that what I "think" may never become reality but that's where I am at the moment.

Nevertheless, if you have a 22k budget you have a 22k budget and if Phoenix and SMG suit then this is worth checking out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, M3AN said:

This will be interesting to observe because I anticipate the E9x M's (and beyond) will only have future appeal for fanbois and not enthusiasts. And I think it's enthusiasts (and scarcity) that protects the price somewhat. My money is on E9x's being worth less that E46's in a few years time and probably worth less that a good example of an E36 M.

Nah... one day, Bieber will be Old Skool and cool. I think there's a moving target at play, newer cars will appeal to a younger generation just as E34s (for example) appeal to a lot of current 40 year old BMW fans.

Jebus crumbs... why can't the world just forget Bieber!?!

• Haha 1

Ahh baby sh*t yellow with old man khaki trousers interior.  Obviously not my favorite combo.

• Like 2

I like PY, at least its a colour unlike so many other BMWs. Just look at the range of M3s for sale, all black or silver usually, with the odd blue thrown in.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

I like PY, at least its a colour unlike so many other BMWs. Just look at the range of M3s for sale, all black or silver usually, with the odd blue thrown in.

I'd be happy with Black or Silver or the grey the CSL's came in.  Timeless.  I'd prefer Red or Blue.  But never BSY.  And I find White hides some lines that should not be hidden on M3's.

Oh and the BSY in that photo has obviously been attacked by HDR.  It does not look like that in person at all.

Edited by Driftit

I think the not so good or high kms E46 M3s will drop in value even further.  The manuals with low kms will go up.   In a decade or two, these cars will be really rare and then even the crappy ones will go up in value just cos people will sell them for parts.  

Edited by Contrails

anything that uses petrol in 20 years will be a collectable

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard said:

So will the petrol....

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

I'd be happy with Black or Silver or the grey the CSL's came in.  Timeless.  I'd prefer Red or Blue.  But never BSY.  And I find White hides some lines that should not be hidden on M3's.

Oh and the BSY in that photo has obviously been attacked by HDR.  It does not look like that in person at all.

Phoenix Yellow is a real marmite colour, especially with the Kiwi interior, but it's actually the exact colour combo i would have. Red and any of the blues look amazing, and i disagree with white, i think they look very nice in white. Anything that is a colour is a win in my books, black and grey/silver is just so boring. You see an M3 in silver on the road and barely give it a glance, yet if the same car was in PY or any other "colour", it would catch your eye.

I totally agree that low KM manual cars will go up in price in the next few years, and anything SMG with higher KM is going to tank. Like it or not, Manuals are the collectable ones.

• Like 1

Those seats are screaming out for a good clean and condition! From the photos anyway it looks like they'd scrub up nicely.

Big things with a higher mileage example is be prepared for RACP reinforcement, rod bearing and bushings, etc. if they haven't already been done. The fact the advert doesn't mention those items would suggest that they haven't been taken care of.

• Like 1

I fail to see how any of these are good value for money knowing what needs to be spent to keep these going for another 200k km

I priced mine at $30k with “everything” done including genuine CSL airbox and some of the best suspension money can buy and no one even batted an eye to see it lol!!

Must be the babyshit yellow lol!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I love that colour. It's very M3 esque. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard said:

And we probably won't be allowed to drive them on public roads! 😕

10 hours ago, M3_Power said:

I fail to see how any of these are good value for money knowing what needs to be spent to keep these going for another 200k km

I priced mine at $30k with “everything” done including genuine CSL airbox and some of the best suspension money can buy and no one even batted an eye to see it lol!!

Must be the babyshit yellow lol!!

TBH I didn't just write your one off due to it being a hue of BSY.  But i'm just not sure when I will be back in NZ so I have stopped looking at cars for now.

I have seen vehicles in similar condition sell for 9-11K here in the US recently.  Everyone is well aware how much money they cost to bring them back up to standard.  So the price just plummets.  I am seeing M3's for only a little more and sometimes less than 330i ZHP models.

Picture for non HDR Real Estate Website style color.  Also more reflective of New Zealand weather conditions.  Overcast.

2001-e46.jpg

Edited by Driftit