Sign in to follow this  
Abhi

E60 M5

Hey guys

I have owned the e60 m5 for a couple of months now. I have a couple of questions-

1) I want to get it serviced. Its has done 71,500 Ks.  Any recommendations where is the best place to get a service done in Auckland? Also does it needs just an oil/filter change or any other service as well. 

2) Economy- i know that v10 is a thirsty engine but any recommendations on how to get a better gas milege. I am averaging 4.5 - 5.0 km/litre.

3) Do you downshift when coming to a complete stop(as the car downshifts itself) 

Thanks in advance

Edited by Abhi

I take mine to BM Workshop.  They are reasonable, but rather busy.  Probably about 600 for a service as it takes 9L of fairy princess oil.

Fuel economy is terrible.  I get 5.0km/l if I use it on my daily commute from Ranui to CBD.  On the open road it gets to about 7.2 which I can live with.  Sadly my 535i uses literally half the amount of fuel.

Downshifting I think it's optimal to just let the trans downshift itself when coming to a stop. 

Cheers,

LR

Edited by GorGasm
  • Thanks 1

Mine gets about 18.5 L/100k, i take it to BMW for servicing but expect to spend a bit with them. I only down shift if i am using manual mode, if it's in D i let it do the work.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry i can't help, but holy sh*t that economy is terrible! 20+l/100km! ?

11 hours ago, GorGasm said:

I take mine to BM Workshop.  They are reasonable, but rather busy.  Probably about 600 for a service as it takes 9L of fairy princess oil.

Fuel economy is terrible.  I get 5.0km/l if I use it on my daily commute from Ranui to CBD.  On the open road it gets to about 7.2 which I can live with.  Sadly my 535i uses literally half the amount of fuel.

Downshifting I think it's optimal to just let the trans downshift itself when coming to a stop. 

Cheers,

LR

@GorGasm- which bmworkshop bro? Greylyn or botany? I live out west too, I am in te atatu south.

Can i join the club? 19.1L/100km on my crawl home from work. 

Yes its a tiny commute, no i dont usually use this car for it. 

260DABC5-B83A-4194-B68B-F9F6B7E343A1.jpeg

12 hours ago, Abhi said:

@GorGasm- which bmworkshop bro? Greylyn or botany? I live out west too, I am in te atatu south.

Grey Lynn.  I drop it in and catch the train home.  They are pretty good there, just busy, which can mean the service is a little rushed or impersonal some times.   

Still better than the plastic fantastic that is Auckland City BMW.  Urgh.

Edit: got my car back, it was just a coil in the end.  I must have mixed up my cylinder numbers when swapping over to test.  Oh well, fixed now.

Edited by GorGasm

15 hours ago, KwS said:

I'm sorry i can't help, but holy sh*t that economy is terrible! 20+l/100km! ?

Yep, it'll hit 25 in a real crawl.  Even my old E55 was better I think.  It's a shame as technology really took off in the following years with DI, stop start and deactivation to allow for decent fuel economy out the high performance engines.

I'm looking at the new 4.0 TT Audi S6 which has 9.6l/100 combined :o.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:48 AM, Abhi said:

Hey guys

I have owned the e60 m5 for a couple of months now. I have a couple of questions-

1) I want to get it serviced. Its has done 71,500 Ks.  Any recommendations where is the best place to get a service done in Auckland? Also does it needs just an oil/filter change or any other service as well. 

2) Economy- i know that v10 is a thirsty engine but any recommendations on how to get a better gas milege. I am averaging 4.5 - 5.0 km/litre.

3) Do you downshift when coming to a complete stop(as the car downshifts itself) 

Thanks in advance

1. A bit late to the party but here is what I have done with my cars. I usually take them to BM Workshop in Botany for all servicing and repairs, but of late I have found Continental BMW in Takapuna to be very friendly and reasonable in cost. My M5 is due for it's 85k service next week and this time I am going to try to save a few $$$ by getting a mobile mechanic to come to my house and I will supply most of the service items. I called around and both BM Workshop and BMW wants $23 per 1L of 10w60 engine oil !!! and I need 9.3L of this unicorn juice - so instead, I went to Supercheap Auto and bought two 5L Castrol 10w60 on special for $90ea (was $110ea) - that has saved me $50 immediately but I did buy the genuine oil filter for $65 from BMW., and replaced my OEM air filter with K&Ns. The mobile mechanic is going to charge me $250 for the labour only service which includes all the checks and other fluid top ups. 

Usual oil service at BMW or BM Workshop is around $600 but at BMW you get your car washed and also a pick up and drop off service if you are working within the city limits. I'll report back on how the mobile mechanic service goes after next week.

2. I drive daily from Manukau to the city (7am-8am traffic) usually takes me about an hour and my fuel usage reads at 6.2km/litre but I leave work early, so I do get a almost free run on my way home: I usually fill my tank up to 50L at Caltex (to maximise the 6c discount) and it would see me through for the week at around 330-350kms - I use the Wynn's or Penrite fuel injector cleaner additives once every 2 months or so, not sure if it helps.....oh, and every 5000km's I clean my MAF sensor with a cleaner.

3. I mostly drive in D and leave the car to do the up/down shifts but when there is no one around, I pushed the magical M button and drive 'under' the speed limit or on weekends unleash the beast around the ranges or west coast for a blast !

Edited by NOXQS

On 4/18/2019 at 9:36 AM, NO XQS said:

...I usually fill my tank up to 50L at Caltex...

How are you getting 98 at Caltex?

Yes!  And on the topic of AA fuelcard savings banking, here’s how you play it.  Fuel up in $40 chunks.  Always “accumulate” (save).  Buy your fuel on BP’s 10c promo days.  And perhaps even use their app for purchasing fuel (additional discounts I think)  Before you know it, you’ll have a $2.00 per litre saving banked - just be sure you’ve space in your tank at the end of each two-month period.  I remember gassing up on 98 at BP Drury - 50 litres and I paid only for my NZ Herald.  The cashier was astounded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

How are you getting 98 at Caltex?

Hi, I get 95 at Caltex and maybe once a month or every 2 months I get 98 at BP. 

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Yes!  And on the topic of AA fuelcard savings banking, here’s how you play it.  Fuel up in $40 chunks.  Always “accumulate” (save).  Buy your fuel on BP’s 10c promo days.  And perhaps even use their app for purchasing fuel (additional discounts I think)  Before you know it, you’ll have a $2.00 per litre saving banked - just be sure you’ve space in your tank at the end of each two-month period.  I remember gassing up on 98 at BP Drury - 50 litres and I paid only for my NZ Herald.  The cashier was astounded.

whats your savings to date?

Im on $2311.26 so far with AA fuelcard..

These days I am considering moving to mobil 98 + smiles card because local mobil is $2.30 vs BP's $2.59. both have 6-10c savings on the odd days..

1 hour ago, NO XQS said:

Hi, I get 95 at Caltex and maybe once a month or every 2 months I get 98 at BP. 

I'd be quite surprised if an M5 didn't require 98 at a minimum.

Of course if you keep it under ~4000 rpm then it probably doesn't matter (and you probably shouldn't own an M5).

• Like 1