Sign in to follow this  
1M2GO

E60 M5 6pd manual. i want one !!!

Have always been a fan of the E39 M5, in part because of the bar it set when it first appeared, and also the truely awesme V8 of the time, and even more so because of that 6 speed manual gearbox allowed one to reaally enjoy that V8

Then came the 507kw V10 E60.. but the 6 speed manual was gone.. but wait it seems it wasn't quite gone, in fact it was an option on North american cars about 1,300 were produced.

That 507 hp V10 hooked up to true 6 speed manual gearbox, to die for isn't it ?. I mean the SMG gearbox was what ruined the E60 M5 ?, i wonder could you import one from the states, even though the car was available here it wasnt in manual form, yea you have to keep it 4 years but manual V10.. worht it ? lots of fun value.

I wouldn't want a manual in mine, the SMG is (usually) better at changing gears than i am, and if i decide i want to take control i still can. Not that i couldn't drive it with a manual, but i don't think it would add anything to the experience, the SMG is fine once you get used to it and if you use it properly.

• Like 2

Yeah im thinking the same, the SMG is pretty good when you are giving it the herbs.  Both SMG and manual are a bit of a drag the rest of the time. just

The e39 M5 is a lot of fun with a manual and complements the engine well, but the modern autos and DCT gearboxes do a great job.  I personally find driving a manual tedious now.

Living in Northern California, I try and keep an eye on the M5’s for sale across the USA on a regular basis. I do see manual E60’s pop up for sale from time to time. Usually they have a premium over SMG’s in terms of price. One of the car club members I met here in SF has an e39 M and a manual E60, and he claims the manual E60 is absolutely epic. Said he also loved the feel of the factory e60 short shifter so much that he ordered one for his e39 as well! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ssbmw said:

Living in Northern California, I try and keep an eye on the M5’s for sale across the USA on a regular basis. I do see manual E60’s pop up for sale from time to time. Usually they have a premium over SMG’s in terms of price. One of the car club members I met here in SF has an e39 M and a manual E60, and he claims the manual E60 is absolutely epic. Said he also loved the feel of the factory e60 short shifter so much that he ordered one for his e39 as well! 

yep that was what i was thinking, the manual 6 speed would be so much more engaging for the driver than the smg.epic!! .all that extra hp over the E39 with the 6 speed manual.. i want one, and yes i have noted they are a premium over the smg ones, hence they are popular and it would seem a more enjoyable engaging drive.. if you ever get to drive one let us know what its like, maybe the club members one, and drive his E39 and tell how they feel.. very interested to know the difference.

I will do...one thing I have found is that you often make good friends amongst car guys - anywhere in the world!!! 

He is keen to drive my car (a E39)  as it has been tweaked with minor Dinan upgrades... so hopefully if he does I can try out his E60 (in the delightful Interlagos blue).. I have driven a E60 once before with SMG. I had so much fun. The paddle shift was like playing some high velocity Play station game. Driving around the city with the staccato like gear shifts was not so much fun!!!! 

Edited by ssbmw
Mis spell

There was a manual E60 M5 sitting on a yard down by Quantico a month back.  Looked like an Marines car too.  Rough as guts.

Wrong hand drive wherever you are is a total pain in the ass.  Just convert one to manual.

Oh and I have driven a manual 550i E60.  Felt like a big car to be manual.  And I got sick of it pretty quickly.

Edited by Driftit

I'd say buy an SMG one here, see how you feel about it, and then get a manual conversion done if you still think you'd prefer a manual.

Id agree with that.  You would probably just leave it SMG after driving it.  If you stick shift the SMG it is very close to manual in feel.

Don't be silly, manual is far better in all situations. 

?