Sign in to follow this  
Tulle

Run Flats --again !

Hi,

looks like a frequent point of discussion, and probably asking what has been answered already so apologies in advance 

Will finally get to run the 435i on a decent run up north in a couple of weeks and looking at repair shops for run flats ( just in case ) unsurprisingly they arent open on a Sunday

My understanding for a minor flat there's a kit ( compressor and tyre fil type product, I dont have one ) to repair until at tyre shop back in AKL

However some comments advise the tyre fil kills the tyre, have i misunderstood?, a weekend away that includes get stuck til tyre shop opens on Monday wont go down well with me or more importantly my passenger

I mostly dont like the run flat ride but then maybe its just the BMW ride vs my usual cushy but by comparison slow boat Mazda

An easy answer for all those run flat drivers out there

Thanks

John

The panda kit is designed for cars without runflat tyres e.g. M3 so if you want one you will have to go get one. The compressor on them can fill the tyre with air or tyre goo and if you use the goo then yes you will have to replace the tyre. The goo is only used if there is a major puncture and unrepairable in the first place. If it's a minor puncture then the compressor should be good enough to top up the air to get you around. Bare in mind that the tyre is good for 80km at 80kph once completely flat at which point you will have to replace it. 

• Like 1

the only flat i got on my 120d with run flats was unoticeable until the warning went of on sh2 at 100 ks....i was close to a traffic light and only a few ks from work so i drove gingerly to work(50km hr max.I pumped the tyre up at lunchtime and that evening the tyre was s till at good pressure.When i went to get the tyre fixed they wouldnt fix it.so i had to buy a new one.So dont bank on using the tyre again anyway.Their excuse was that they didnt know what damage the tyre may have suffered.

33 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

When i went to get the tyre fixed they wouldnt fix it.so i had to buy a new one.So dont bank on using the tyre again anyway.Their excuse was that they didnt know what damage the tyre may have suffered.

That's pretty poor. Runflats are just as repairable as normal tyres, and if they took the tyre off you can see the damage or lack of on the inner of the tyre. 

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's pretty poor. Runflats are just as repairable as normal tyres, and if they took the tyre off you can see the damage or lack of on the inner of the tyre. 

yes i was somewhat put out.I am pretty sure that the tyre didnt really go below 20psi.from the outside the tyre looked 100 percent.The only good thing was that the tyres were pretty near the end of life anyway.

Thanks Gaz that's clearer in one post than I've read in numerous

Sounds like a compressor is a minimum and sealant if stuck/leak large

BMW have the kit for 264, there's also a Slime kit incl compressor for 172, read that Slime doesn't kill the tyre and can be washed out, so as long as not damaged will live another day ?

Also read that if totally flat need to jack car up for compressor to fill tyre with air, hoping sensor will warn long before that

Suppose i'm doing a belt and braces but a flat in the middle of the night, miles from anywhere sounds like my domain ?

Thanks

John

Do you have individual tyre pressure monitoring? E.g. does the idrive show the pressure? If not i think it will warn you when it is about 5psi lower than the other side, maybe less I cant remember exactly

even my 120d warned me well before i think you would notice by any other means.Try it out.On a quiet road(have a compressor!) let say one of the rear tyres down say 5psi at a time .I am betting you will get a warning before you can spot the difference