Sign in to follow this  
hqstu

BM53 problems solved...

Finally solved my annoying radio issues in my e39 M5 (I had been down several dead ends with diversity amps etc etc...).  The FM radio was crap.  Bought a BM54 module to replace the BM53 (which seems to have been replaced once already) out of a 2007 X5.  Naturally it has a few more features which is good, but it is great to have a "normal" radio once again....

large.20181116_160916.jpg.ed29066506147266cc47bc72f2f3f328.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Stu,

do you have the m-audio spec stereo? I have to say, I find it rather disappointing. Maybe I am being harsh, but I think my 1990 E34 535is had a better sounding system (despite only having a radio cassette hard unit). My 2008 X3 had a far better stereo too. 

Your thoughts? 

My audio system is option S752 "Individual Audio System"  So it had a BM53, with widescreen etc, plus DSP including the big subwoofers.  Now with the BM54 in place, the sound is quite acceptable to me.  I know car audio systems can be a lot better, but for me and wary of the law of diminishing returns, plus wanting to keep it basically in original spec, means that it sounds just fine to me.  I have a cheapo Bluetooth hooked into the Aux input so I'm good to go.  Plus when I'm sick of the music there always the popped sunroof and 3rd gear option for a bit of "metallica".. :)

I believe the individual audio system is actually the same as M-Audio. No difference at all. 

I know what you mean. I have a friend who also had a E34 535is and an E34 M5 prior to owning a LMB E39 M5. He is mega fussy with his car audio and he says the same- the e39 M5, despite being a premium offering from BMW didn’t have an amazing sound system.

i agree with you though- I lower the windows and open the sunroof to hear the S62 growl... audio Nirvana!!!

+1 E34\E32 had a better system but given its a far higher quality car as far as electronics go it's not to surprising. My E38 740il had the full DSP audio package which is pretty unimpressive compared to the older premium hifi package. 

I think BMW made two errors the e46 & e39 systems over other years. First was Midbass treatments on the front going into small enclosure rather than using the door space. Gave limited and strangled upfront mid bass. The second was the bm53/54 using a poor final stage to the amps. Ironically the audio stage before that used opamps used  in recording studio mixing boards.

On paper they should have been better. Each speaker getting its own amp . Active 3 way front stage.Reasonable dac and preamp stage etc.

Ironically the only model with the Midbass advantage was the e46 318ti but tended to have the poverty pack stereo.

I sorted my e46 for the same reason above.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Neal said:

the bm53/54 using a poor final stage to the amps

Hi Neal, is the amp replacement / upgrade within the BM53/54 worth the coin?

It’s basically an amp and speaker (10) plus  sub replacement to take it to the next level.

On the bm53/54 The difference between the balanced outputs and converting it unbalanced is noticeable for CD listening  but hard to tell on radio. I found from a sound quality POV it brought it up to a mid range  car CD player.

i did evolve the system in my e46 over a few years in pursuit of audio goodness. But also set a budget of 3k for speakers/ sub / amps / Dsp sounds I didn’t get carried away. Basically it has a entry home hifi sound  and is still largely controlled via factory the board monitor.

if you want some lite reading I have a build thread on here . It should hopefully give you an idea of what is needed to uplift a e39/e46 system.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Neal said:

hopefully give you an idea

All it gave me was the realization that that's way out of my league... ?

Great system.. well done... 

I think if anything unless well hidden a change of system may  devalue a E39 M5.

Bavsound could be worth considering. Quite well thought out drop in speakers and amp option.

https://www.bavsound.com/