Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Thoughts on the E87?

Hi Team,

we are looking at getting a hatchback for the household. My wife largely takes public transport to work and as a result the X5 is our only car. She’s keen for a car to use a couple of days a week for any meetings and after work activities. On the other days I may take it to the office rather than running the 4.8 in traffic (although I average 13.3L/100km on my motorway commute which I think is pretty good).

in terms of vehicles I’m looking at about 2007-2009 and sub 100kms. I naturally lean towards the 130i as a better drive but I’m sure the 118i and 120i’s are probably more sensible. But I worry about the reputation of BMW’s four-pot engines from the period. 

Thoughts and comments from the group? What should we look out for?

Thanks guys!

they are a nice wee car imho nice steering and brakes,not as roomy as you would think esp compared to a fwd hatch.ride is harsh with runflats.

Edited by kiwi535

take a look at the 2012+ F20 116i for a very economical and newish hatchback, expect to spend about 10-15k depending on kms and spec.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, qube said:

take a look at the 2012+ F20 116i for a very economical and newish hatchback, expect to spend about 10-15k depending on kms and spec.

Yeah, I have been looking at those. I find the spec on them to be pretty underwhelming to be honest for the money. In particular the no steering wheel controls which I use quite often. 

Original E87 is quite a nice handsome little car, basically a 3 series hatch back. 

Bit cheaper with the interior materials as its a entry type BMW but very nice to drive if you get a smooth 6 cylinder model.

I wouldn't bother with the 4 cylinders as you may as well get a Corrolla, Mazda 3 etc if fuel economy is high on the list. The sixes aren't that uneconomical anyway, just depends how you drive. 

• Like 1

123D or a 130i, the only reason to get one of the shitty 4 pots petrols is because you do not like your wife (This is how you form your argument for getting a decent one :D )

My 130i manual averages 8.6l/100km (and I dont go out of my way to drive economically.... You can either have a unreliable 4 pot that works its ass off hauling around a 1.4 ton hatch back, or a reliable smooth 6 that moves it without breaking a sweat. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Yeah, I have been looking at those. I find the spec on them to be pretty underwhelming to be honest for the money. In particular the no steering wheel controls which I use quite often. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1803587018

this is basically the same spec that we got which was the sport model, CiC iDrive with widescreen display and the bigger dash display and also steering wheel controls.

It was a bit cheaper than this one for sale also.

24 minutes ago, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1803587018

this is basically the same spec that we got which was the sport model, CiC iDrive with widescreen display and the bigger dash display and also steering wheel controls.

It was a bit cheaper than this one for sale also.

I have been concentrating my search in Auckland. I’ll be honest, I don’t see the extra $5-7k in them from the previous generation. I don’t care for the idrive on a car which is just a commuter vehicle. I prefer to have leather and power seats over that if I can find them. 

Edited by NZ BMW

29 minutes ago, Jacko said:

123D or a 130i, the only reason to get one of the shitty 4 pots petrols is because you do not like your wife (This is how you form your argument for getting a decent one :D )

My 130i manual averages 8.6l/100km (and I dont go out of my way to drive economically.... You can either have a unreliable 4 pot that works its ass off hauling around a 1.4 ton hatch back, or a reliable smooth 6 that moves it without breaking a sweat. 

How unreliable are the 4 cylinders really in these cars? There seems to be a lot of them on the road. 

Makes sense given that the production numbers are likely to be quite high, they are a cheap car and most don't have huge mileage on them yet. I would expect them to be on the road until they have a significant failure or the owners get tired of sinking money into them, then many will start to get sold\scrapped\parted out. I expect them to be a 2-3k car in a few years.

10 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

I have been concentrating my search in Auckland. I’ll be honest, I don’t see the extra $5-7k in them from the previous generation. I don’t care for the idrive on a car which is just a commuter vehicle. I prefer to have leather and power seats over that if I can find them. 

a tidy one for 12k can be found locally if you look. The main advantage is the keyless stop/start and entry/lock which I think is very convenient. also the engine is awesome with a small turbo its plenty powerful unlike the e87 116i versions which are slow and heavy.

but if you can find a tidy well maintained 4cyl e87 for a bargain I dont see a problem, its basically just another e36/e46 318i/320i with heaps of spare parts everywhere now.

Bonus if you find one with the timing chain replaced and valve stem seals done too. They are the only majors with the 4 cylinder engines 

16 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

How unreliable are the 4 cylinders really in these cars? There seems to be a lot of them on the road. 

Timing chains, oil leaks, etc etc etc. Pretty notorious (particularly if you compare it to a japanese 2l 4 pot with the same output :(

17 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Timing chains, oil leaks, etc etc etc. Pretty notorious (particularly if you compare it to a japanese 2l 4 pot with the same output :(

So like most BMW engines then?! ?

Guess we will have to go and look at a couple of 130i’s to see if we like what we see. 

I’m away on a work trip for the next couple of weeks somehow I can’t see myself getting to this before Christmas... 

• Like 1

I heard there is good potential if you run an S65 in one too.

Economical on the highway and has good resale value. 

• Haha 1