Sign in to follow this  
qube

E36 Compact Suspension 101 Help

What specifically are you trying to upgrade? Are you trying to solve a particular problem?

You've linked to all the OEM parts you could possibly need... you'll be fine if you get them all... :)

But I suspect that doesn't help you much?

got a squeaky left shock absorber and a clicking/clunking noise same side.

suspect some kind of joint/bushing thats perished.

Basically planning to replace the shocks both sides and rtab bushes. thinking what else i need to look at in terms of rubber bushing type of parts mainly. 

not looking to replace everything obviously.. 

Understood...

From this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CG82-EUR-07-1998-E36-BMW-318ti&diagId=33_1967

You should be able to reuse your existing parts: 12, 11, 10, 6, 5, 4 (probably), 3 - some may need a good clean, replace any damaged parts obviously.

Replace: 9, 7, 1, 2, 14, 15

And from this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CG82-EUR-07-1998-E36-BMW-318ti&diagId=33_1963

Replace: 2, 5 (assuming existing hardware is reusable - difficult to tell without visual inspection)

Your springs really only need replacing if they're broken.

You might consider Z3 rear shock tower reinforcements but I don't think they would be essential for a Ti (although they are only about $20 a set).

Inspect your rear subframe bushings when you do the shocks and replace as required.

There are no bump-stops in the RealOEM diagrams so I assume the Ti is not equipped with them. They're not essential unless you're going to rally it.

• Like 1

https://www.fcpeuro.com/cart?utm_source=R590607995&utm_medium=shared-link&utm_campaign=shared-cart&shared_items=1060882916%232%2C1060538166%232%2C1060534585%232%2C1060625623%234%2C1060884984%232%2C1060823946%232%2C1060549110%232%2C1060539638%232%2C1060621341%232%2C1060680389%232%2C1060535269%232

got a shopping cart of the above parts.

works out about 250usd all up which will be about $450nz incl shipping + taxes.

is there anything ive missed? also, should I go for the sachs shocks or bilstein B4 tourings if i had to choose? the HD bilstein is double the price so no point for a daily.

FWIW I reused 33526776759 and 07119905374 and you can inspect the later under the carpet in the trunk. Having said that both parts are inexpensive...

Also, my suggestions above we based on the assumption that your top mounts, shocks and bushes actually need to be replaced... they may not of course! Depends on how old they are really and what type of life they've had.

Based on the FCP pictures you can also drop 33526772864 because they're included in 3003359102HD.

For a daily you can't go wrong with the Sachs shocks, especially at that price.

Assuming yours is a MSport then the sway bar bushes and links are correct.

The subframe and trailing arm bushes are not a DIY unless you have the correct tools and, aside from the alignment implications, don't need to be done at the same time as the suspension itself, your call really.

Note that I've not double-checked and cross referenced every part so do a final sanity check for yourself also. If you remove everything that's not essential you will probably come in under NZ$400 too... bonus.

I didn't realise those shocks were so inexpensive!

Thanks Dave. Will go over the parts again a bit later on. Probably will be on standby until end of year anyway but the clicking noise is getting quite loud. wonder whats wrong with it.. still daily driven #yolo

Only just saw this thread.... won't chime in with what needs replaced lol but..... I bought the rear bush tools off @Jacko ages ago and haven't gotten around to sorting to collect them (sorry man, will email you in the next week or so about that and the clutch ?). More than happy if you wanna grab the bush tools off him and use them, then I can sort with you to get them down to me once you're done - might make life a little easier for you.

• Like 1