Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Buying e90 320i - Anything to look out for?

Hey guys, thinking of getting a e90 320i as a daily run about, looks like it will be a bit better on petrol consumption than my 330ci lol

Is there anything I should be looking out for on these cars? any known problems etc 

Thanks heaps ..

Don't buy the 320i whatever you do - the N46 is probably bmw's worst engine with heaps of well documented problems.

Buy the smallest 6 cylinder or diesel if you want better fuel consumption 

• Like 5

O - i see, just checked now. Maybe it's time to dive into the dark side - Diesel 

11 minutes ago, zero said:

Don't buy the 320i whatever you do - the N46 is probably bmw's worst engine with heaps of well documented problems.

This. Fuel consumption not amazing either.

E90 320 diesels have timing chain issue's have been told.  

58 minutes ago, allan said:

E90 320 diesels have timing chain issue's have been told.  

There are also millions of them (N47 in particular) in circulation. The issues are certainly less than the N46. They probably don't like excessive service intervals though...

Anyone had a 323 / or 325 in that same series what sort of consumption you getting?

10 hours ago, balancerider said:

There are also millions of them (N47 in particular) in circulation. The issues are certainly less than the N46. They probably don't like excessive service intervals though...

The article mentioned the timing chain and their guides being a weak point. Plus due to position a major job to replace so the engine may need to be removed.

One thing to consider is how many km do you do? I keep forgetting that buying a car (plus insurance, wof/rego and maintenance) pays for quite a bit of petrol.

Maybe have a look at this? Not sure what the fuel consumption is like on a 330 vs a 325.

• Like 2

I dont think that an e90 is going to be much better, even one with a smaller engine. Its going to depend massively on how are where your driving. Buy a leaf :D

FYI My 330 e91 auto averages around 10.5/l 100km 

Edited by Jacko

6 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

@325_driverWhat sort of fuel consumption do you get with your 330- ie, what figure are you trying to beat?

12.5l to the 100 - i'm looking to get back under the 10 (it's under 10 if it's purely open road , but my driving has hills, traffics lights and town involved)

the 320i i was test driving was around 7-8l to the 100 when i was driving but that engine scares me now because of this thread ^^

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

I dont think that an e90 is going to be much better, even one with a smaller engine. Its going to depend massively on how are where your driving. Buy a leaf :D

FYI My 330 e91 auto averages around 10.5/l 100km 

I'd rather drive a leaf than an e90 320i ;)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

That Leaf is knackered but either of those would still be a better bet than a 320i ! If you are dead set on an e90 look hard at the diesels.

An old Fiat or even a Morrie would be cheap on fuel... but regrinding the valve seats every weekend would get old pretty quick! An E46 320i would be a little better than the 330i on fuel, and doesn't have an engine made by Satan in it. BTW I think buying a Leaf means you sign a contract saying attendance at KiwiFist is mandatory, so I'd avoid that ? Still got the Levin? That'd be OK on petrol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eliongater said:

One thing to consider is how many km do you do? I keep forgetting that buying a car (plus insurance, wof/rego and maintenance) pays for quite a bit of petrol.

Maybe have a look at this? Not sure what the fuel consumption is like on a 330 vs a 325.

If this isnt sold already, jump on it. Its stupid cheap, and built like a tank compared to a 320i. What you save in pouring more oil into a 320i you will spend on fuel with the 330i, but its worth it.

thanks KwS i might get in touch - Tme link is expired!

I've been eyeing up a 320d touring - looks nice, but engine km's are like over 220km what starts failing round those high kms on them? anything expensive on diesels?

Do they still have swirl flaps and things to worry about on the e9x diesels?

30 minutes ago, KwS said:

my mechanic brother said, the injectors are $500 a piece when they go - has anyone else had any big repairs on the diesels?

1 hour ago, KwS said:

The pre-facelift ones with the M47 have swirl flaps, blanking kits readily available. Timing chain issues reported on (a small minority) of the facelift N47 engine. N=1 but dad's had no mechanical problems in 220k kms on his 320d.

Ok thanks to you lot i'm making a swing to the dark side, which i never dreamed i would - Diesel

spotted an ok 320d touring - Does anyone know if they are AWD or 4x4? or are they RWD like everything else